Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Remington "Golden Bullets" are they really that bad?

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Dan S 
#1 ·
I just tried the golden bullets in my Ultra Lux and three out of five would be in the bulls eye at 50 yards from the bench and two "fliers". Well fliers seems to take on a whole new meaning with these guys. The closest flier was a minimum 8 1/4 inch away, just about straight down! The other I couldn't even find. :eek: I know the rifle is still being broke in but out of several different brands that I have tried out, this has been the first fliers yet. Tell me, is this the norm for this round?

#2 ·
after "break in" and a good cleaning, you might try weighing each round and sorting them accordingly.

i weighed 200 rounds of the remington bulk ammo recently and they varied in weight by six grains!

the projectile is reported to weigh 36 grains (as per the label on the box)

the empty, fired cases weigh 8 grains

that means the propellant varied by as much as 6 grains. (or so it would seem)

(i'd like to point out here that it's possible the cases weight may vary quite a lot, too...i did not weigh but 3 empties and pulled no bullets to weigh)

one weighed 48 grains another weighed 54 grains...one had 6 grains of propellant while another had 10 grains of propellant. that would affect ballastics of any given round.

sort all similar weights together and try again by shooting all the same weight at the same time, not just random "grabs" out of the bulk box.

if you don't have an electronic scale (the fastest way to weigh the rounds) try an archery catalog. many of them have the very inexpensive electronic pocket scales.

you can also switch to a high grade match ammo, too...

#12 ·
I would be leary of rapid fieing any ammo with that kind of difference in the loads ,if one weaky sticks (squib) and your fast follow up rapid fire slams into it. your done. Ain't worth it..not to me for any spary and pray fun i'd be sure to use a brand i was more confident in. JMHO--JMJ--

#7 ·
Remington golden bullets

I use them for general purpose plinking and they work just fine for that.

They aren't designed for target shooting, but for minute of tin can they are fine.

We've shot up many bulk packs without a single FTF, so I'm at a loss as to why so many people report poor accuracy and duds.

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
golden bullets

I have shot them in the past and never notice any problems, but it was rabbit hunting. About a week ago I took two Browning autos to the range and used the Golden bullets in them at 100 yds. Terrible accuracy! Shot all over the place. Now the rilfes are not target guns but I will never buy Rem. Golden bullets again. Alan :AR15firin

#13 ·
I have a Marlin 60SN and CZ-452 Special, and they work fine out of both of those. I doubt they shoot good groups, but they're more than accurate enough to hit shotgun shells and clays at 75 yards, and that's all I've been doing lately. I never had a problem with duds, but the last two boxes I've gotten have had quite a few that took a second strike to fire. Before that maybe 1 out of 550 would do that. One of these days I'll get some good ammo and shoot for groups. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.