795 model case stuck when misfire/dud - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:54 AM
Havocsquad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I have a second hand pawn shop buy a few months ago of a model 795 that only has an issue with a stuck case when the round does not go off.

The chamber seems to feed and extract well in all other situations.

I do not dry fire it, but I do use plastic snap caps.

I notice that bottom of the mouth of the chamber a very slight indention made by the top half of the firing pin, probably from the previous owner.

By eyeballing it and a quick check with calipers, I don't see the firing pin traveling distance being longer than the bolt face.

Is there any simple way to diagnose the source of my stuck case?

Whether it is the firing pin striking too hard, the divit made in the barrel face distorting the case too much, or obstruction in the chamber caused by peening?
Old 12-04-2018, 11:33 AM
fabpeter

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'd check the edge of the chamber using a cotton bud. If it picks up fibres as you withdraw it from the chamber, it's a fair indication of peening.

I had this on my '51 Remmy 121 and removed the peened burr with a half round needle file. It cured the problem for me.

ATB, Peter.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:12 PM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My guess would be the previous owner probably did a lot of dry firing. You could try to see if firing pin face isn't flush. The firing pin might not be making a direct, full height of the firing pin strike on the cartridge. That should be something fairly easy to spot.

Also just wondering if you've given your 795 a good cleaning. There could be a build up under the extractor preventing it from grabbing the casing.
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Havocsquad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggieBoy View Post

Also just wondering if you've given your 795 a good cleaning. There could be a build up under the extractor preventing it from grabbing the casing.
I'm methodical in my diagnosis steps, so yes it was well cleaned out well before I investigated the issue.

I ruled out the extractor being the issue for two reasons:

The cartridge acts like someone took a hammer to the rim and wedged it in solid to the chamber when it misfires/duds.

I have to get a knife edge or a cleaning rod to get the dud stuck round out.

The extractor clears the rounds out easily if no dud happens when manually cycled and when fired.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:37 PM
GreggieBoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just thought maybe the edge of the chamber is uneven or dented if it was dry fired a lot?
Old 12-04-2019, 02:33 PM
Havocsquad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Even though this is an old topic, I thought I would update this topic with the discovered root cause of my problem.

The issue was the Winchester M22 ammo was out of spec ammo, soon as the misfire/no bang occured, the deformation of the case head from the firing pin indent is bad enough to wedge the cartridge in the chamber.

It was too much for the ejector/extractor to handle that M22 ammo when it fails to fire.

When I used non Winchester ammo, all of the misfires did clear the chamber within two bolt pulls, usually the first attempt worked.

Last edited by Havocsquad; 12-04-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:09 AM
GuitarmanNick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester has been putting out some poor quality ammo lately and I avoid it like the plague. It is dirty, inconsistent, and the cause of many problems regardless of caliber.

My 795 only feeds on CCI Mini-Mags, now. Dime sized groups @ 50 yards using it and nothing else has even come close to that.
Old 12-09-2019, 05:13 PM
Havocsquad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All used up now, no Winchester .22 LR problems since there's none left.

It will enjoy a steady diet of Federal bulk, Blazer, and Mini-Mags.