Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New 455 17hmr or used 452 17hmr

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Signalman 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a 17hmr. I have an opportunity to purchase a used in very good condition 452 American. The price is the same as a new 455 American. I have had a couple 455's in 22lr and found them less consistent than the 22lr 452's I have. Can Anyone convince Me that the New 455 would be better than the 452 in 17hmr caliber.

#7 ·
I know that each of us have our own preferences but I have to say that in 50+ years of shooting, hunting and gun shows, I have never even once looked at a rim fire rifle and thought to myself, "I wish I could spend another $150 and swap another factory barrel so I can fire...rim fire." I would go with the 452 hands down.

#9 ·
IMO, if you want a fine old world piece that will hold its value, with a little bit of snob appeal, get the 452. If you want to be able to mess with it a little more, like switching barrels, tweaking the trigger, etc, get the 455. If you just want to shoot it without any bubba engineering or hardware store parts, and still maybe tweak it a little or a lot, get the 457.

Just for the record, I currently have three 452s and one 457. Don't see any good reason for me to have a 455. I've had a 455, but its gone now. For me, the only good reason to buy a 455 today is if its cheap. The 457 will do anything the 455 will, and then some. The 452 is a classic that you buy because you just want one.

#11 ·

I have a couple 455s in 17 HMR. They shoot over inch at 50 yards with all ammo except one particular ammo, which is hard to find at local stores. With that one particular ammo, they shoot almost one hole groups. It is hard to believe they shoot that well considering all the other available ammo shoots like crap. My Rugers and Marlins shoot real well with several brands of ammo. I would probably get the 452 with the hope it shoots a variety of ammo well.

#14 · (Edited)
I had a 455 American and a 452 American in .17HMR. I converted the 455 to .22LR, because I only needed one .17HMR rifle. The 452 .17HMR is a fine looking rifle--but so is the 455 American. The 452 has a slight edge aesthetically-wise over the 455, but I saw no difference in accuracy between the 455 and the 452 (considering my skill level). I like this rifle duo. I have the 452 in .17HMR and the 455 that I can swap to/from .17HMR - .22LR as may be needed. IRT your question: I'd buy a used 452 American in .17HMR over the new 455 if price/condition are OK. But as I hasten to add, the 455 American is an excellent rifle, in my experience.

#18 ·
Its on the way from an out of state dealer. I have been on RFC for quite a while now and I have never been able to post pictures. I have listed items on the trading post and would have liked to post some pictures. I guess I'm a bit electronically challenged.

#19 ·
You are exactly right. Plus the gun design and finish is far superior on the 452. The only plus for the 455, is if you are disappointed, you can rat hole your time and money on bedding, pressure points, head spacing and last but not least a new barrel. In the HIGHLY unlikely even the 452 disappoints, you simply sell it (for more than that 455 will ever bring) and move on. No stress, no mess. Instead of planning for failure, bet on success.

Opps, sorry, I am too late. Good for you :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.