Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:22 PM
wade2131

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.17 HM2 went kaboom.....

Magnum Research .17HM 2 blew the magizine out of the stock, this was with Hornady ammo. Does this happen often and with other ammo manufacturers? Wonder if my .17 HM 2 days are over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A7328DB5-E0F9-485F-A5A3-0991424D3206.jpeg (448.3 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpeg 79F61165-10CC-477A-9523-45B73CB142AE.jpeg (457.0 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-29-2018, 08:09 PM
wade2131

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The chamber is dirty? I ran a bore snake thru it prior to shooting and only shot 10 or so rounds.... however I will clean the chamber and slide and try agin
Old 08-29-2018, 08:47 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sadly this is why the mach 2 will probably not make it past being a fringe cartridge. I have a Ruger 77/17VBZ I love to shoot. For a short time I had a Marlin 717 I purchased new and kept new due to the reports of kabooms. I sold it for a tidy profit while in new condition and didn't look back. I have a Green Mountain 96/17 barrel I can use on a 10/22 with a heavy bolt handle and haven't had any kabooms but it was never all the accurate. Currently that gun is a 22LR but I can swap it back any time. If you do keep shooting that gun, get a heavier spring and figure out of your bolt handle is the correct weight. The cartridge is best in a nice accurate bolt gun for hunting and there are quite a few orphan rifles showing up from time to time so you can migrate away from the semi auto and to a real tack driving verminator. rc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018, 09:03 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
I've played with 17hm2 for many years and best I can say is get a VQ heavy bolt, make a Charger type or go non semi-auto. I do have a charger and a 10/22VQ barrel/bolt setup. Both run flawless with Hornady and the Charger even runs Eley. I run a boresnake 5 times after 100rnds. Also have found the they can be magazine picky. Mine like stock 10rnd or Tandomkross doublecross. Never could get bx15 or bx25 to be reliable. The bullet design prevents that. Also, I run a suppressor on mine almost 100% of the time. Not sure it makes a difference.

I would start with a deep clean on barrel and action. Any leftover lube in chamber is real bad thing.
Good luck and keep you hands in a safe spot.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:10 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Back in 2009ish there were ammo and rifle recalls.. at that juncture the ammo mfg's were washing their hands of semi-auto platform liabilities... here is just a sampling... https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...and-model-597/

There were and still are some conversions out there, this one photo'd below got dis-assembled and parts sold off with dis-claimer... it's not IF they will OOB KABOOM it's WHEN. If you are going to continue shooting that rifle a CLEAN arss chamber is the ONLY way to go.. every 50-75 rounds.. and a BoreSnake won't do it...
This brush and some Hoppes#9 is your friend... http://www.gunsmithertools.com/brush...ool/index.html

Ask me how I know...

Last edited by Chaser; 08-29-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:11 PM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
Sadly this is why the mach 2 will probably not make it past being a fringe cartridge. I have a Ruger 77/17VBZ I love to shoot. For a short time I had a Marlin 717 I purchased new and kept new due to the reports of kabooms. I sold it for a tidy profit while in new condition and didn't look back. I have a Green Mountain 96/17 barrel I can use on a 10/22 with a heavy bolt handle and haven't had any kabooms but it was never all the accurate. Currently that gun is a 22LR but I can swap it back any time. If you do keep shooting that gun, get a heavier spring and figure out of your bolt handle is the correct weight. The cartridge is best in a nice accurate bolt gun for hunting and there are quite a few orphan rifles showing up from time to time so you can migrate away from the semi auto and to a real tack driving verminator. rc
Hate to agree with you on it being a fringe round, but the OP's pictures are the classic semi auto, Mach2 blowout.

I have shot a couple thousand rounds of Mach2 the past 3 years, as the availability has gotten much better. All but a couple of rounds out of my 452 American, have been flawless and I check every expired shell. Two cracked necks is all I have seen.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:13 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've fired 100s of rounds of every stripe through my Anschutz 1502. Had a few misfires, but rare. Otherwise mostly flawless. Do have to clean regularly to maintain accuracy.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:25 PM
marlinguy76

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a very nice rifle. I didn't know they made them in hm2. I have a 917m2 and just love it. I had a 717m2 and luckily didn't have any bad experiences with it, though it was always on my mind. I only shot about 100 rds with it and probably checked to make sure the bolt was seated before each shot. I traded the 717m2 for my 917m2. I prefer bolt action anyway. It is a tach driver.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2018, 12:40 AM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've shot quite a bit of ammo through my EA Brown & Co heavy bolt conversion. I clean the chamber thoroughly every 100 rounds, or so and I never had any issues. Now, the Whistle Pig lined barrel I bought way back when, was a completely different situation...
Old 08-30-2018, 05:59 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
A round that just doesn't play well in most semi-autos just as described here but a great small game round in lever, bolt action and single shots. I have a 717 that does good clean and with Eley but with all the others I have (thought I had 7 now but a recheck says its actually eight) why bother. If you just have to have that Ruger rotary magazine make one of these.

Ruger 96/22 converted with a Clark 77/.17m2 barrel.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:32 AM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armtx View Post
Hate to agree with you on it being a fringe round, but the OP's pictures are the classic semi auto, Mach2 blowout.

I have shot a couple thousand rounds of Mach2 the past 3 years, as the availability has gotten much better. All but a couple of rounds out of my 452 American, have been flawless and I check every expired shell. Two cracked necks is all I have seen.
The 17HMR seems to do quite well without a high volume semi-auto platform.

I agree that the 17HM2 is a niche cartridge, but what it does best, kill tree squirrels, it does better than any other cartridge.

As long as CCI/Hornady is making ammo, I'll be happy to shoot it in my bolt action 17HM2s from Anschutz, Marlin, Remington, and Savage. That's not to say that if Ruger would make a safe/reliable 17HM2 on the 10/22 platform I wouldn't buy one, just that I don't need one to do what I want a 17HM2 to do.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:33 PM
RickR

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I sold my Marlin 717 because of the possible blow out. I shoot left hand and I was afraid of what it might do to my face and eyes. I still have a Kimber PV,a Ruger 77/17, a CZ 452 and a Browning BL17. I feel a bolt or lever action might be somewhat safer.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:27 AM
armtx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 917M2Sfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by armtx View Post

The 17HMR seems to do quite well without a high volume semi-auto platform.

I agree that the 17HM2 is a niche cartridge, but what it does best, kill tree squirrels, it does better than any other cartridge.

As long as CCI/Hornady is making ammo, I'll be happy to shoot it in my bolt action 17HM2s from Anschutz, Marlin, Remington, and Savage. That's not to say that if Ruger would make a safe/reliable 17HM2 on the 10/22 platform I wouldn't buy one, just that I don't need one to do what I want a 17HM2 to do.
It is the perfect, 100m and under, squirrel killer, BUT, IMO it is not suited for semi autos.
We need a Ruger 10/17M2, designed by Ruger and this round would take off. The KABOOMS seems to be almost entirely associated with semi autos and most likely do to the blow back actions...the bolts are just not heavy enough.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:57 AM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love the 17hm2. I don't have a semi-auto for this but have several bolt action rifles that I use for ground squirrels. They don't get up after being hit with the 17hm2. If someone could finally come up with a semi-auto that was reliable in not having this round go off out of battery I'd be all over it. I've been pleasantly surprised that the ammo is available again and the prices are going down.

Hopefully it will get a better following. Lot's of naysayers keep putting this little round down though.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:26 AM
Hippy

TPC Rating: 
78% (5)
Look here Pretty much same issue

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ow#post8606474
Jim