What is the best used $1000 or less bolt action walnut sporter rifle? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:57 PM
lizardtrack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I see plenty of Win. 52s, 75s under that price. They are tough to beat as long as they're not shot out. My 52 is incredibly accurate with Fed GM the 75 likes just about anything. Both were modified decades ago and I wouldn't change a thing. The 52 was shortened to 20" barrel and the stock has been professionally lengthened 1"
Old 11-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Pat McCoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
I know whee used Rem 513 is for under 500
Quote:
I see plenty of Win. 52s, 75s under that price.
BUT, they are not sporters (which the op is asking for).
Old 11-02-2018, 06:02 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You've gotten some very good advice so far. Of the currently produced rifles, I would seriously consider these three: An Anschutz 64-actioned model (there are several), a CZ 452 or 455, or a Browning T-bolt. Also, Sig has a new one called the Zephyr that looks promising. All of these should be priced well under your limit, and you'll have enough money left over for a really good scope.
As for vintage bolt rifles, a good Winchester 75 Sporter or Remington 513S would be hard to beat, but you'll have a hard time finding one that is grooved for a scope. While I really like the quality of the 75 Sporter, the barrel is just a bit too light, and the 513S has a long heavy 27 inch barrel, also not ideal. If you want the best rifle for the money, a Winchester 69A is hard to beat, and can be surprisingly accurate.
You might also luck up on a Kimber Classic or Hunter for under $1,000.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:12 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
You've gotten some very good advice so far. Of the currently produced rifles, I would seriously consider these three: An Anschutz 64-actioned model (there are several), a CZ 452 or 455, or a Browning T-bolt. Also, Sig has a new one called the Zephyr that looks promising. All of these should be priced well under your limit, and you'll have enough money left over for a really good scope.
As for vintage bolt rifles, a good Winchester 75 Sporter or Remington 513S would be hard to beat, but you'll have a hard time finding one that is grooved for a scope. While I really like the quality of the 75 Sporter, the barrel is just a bit too light, and the 513S has a long heavy 27 inch barrel, also not ideal. If you want the best rifle for the money, a Winchester 69A is hard to beat, and can be surprisingly accurate.
You might also luck up on a Kimber Classic or Hunter for under $1,000.

Good recommendations - I was also thinking of some of these.....in particular the CZ 452s which I have had great luck with in the accuracy dept. I love the T-Bolt, but downplayed it based on the OP's strict accuracy requirements. The Zephyr might be worth looking into, but I've had no experience with those. If I was going to stick with the $1000 limit, I would probably start with the Annie 64 or a clean used 54.

Another one I thought of is the Japanese made 52 reros.....either Winchester or Browning. These are very nice guns and can be had for under the $1000 limit. But again, if cutting edge accuracy is a must, then these tend to be so-so on the average in my experience.

Lots of choices but not many guarantees.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As usual, Pump, you are quite right. The 52 repros are beautifully made, but can be a bit fickle in accuracy - one day they shoot great, and the next not so hot.
Anschutzes tend to be much more consistently accurate.
I think some folks have had good luck with Sako Finnfires.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:03 PM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you don't mind vintage, you might look around for a Brno 1, 2 or 5, in nice shape, of course. They are lovely little sporters and it's rare when they won't shoot. Another vintage sporter that I'm very fond of is the Walther KKJ, tough to find spare magazines though.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:05 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry, I meant to say Steyr Zephyr - not Sig.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:54 AM
Brett Mc

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
As has been stated, Savage/Anschutz 164 or a S/A model 141. Also a Brno model 1, although you will have to look for a delux model if you want walnut. Any of these three can be had for well less than your budget. All are at 6# or less and are quite capable of 50 yd. five shot groups the size of a nickel.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:48 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another vote for Anschutz.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:33 PM
lizardtrack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCoy View Post
BUT, they are not sporters (which the op is asking for).
What is your definition of a sporter?.I used to have a 52 sporter unfortunately I sold many years ago. My 75 is the size of a Marlin 60
Old 11-05-2018, 10:14 PM
MarlinBullseye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasconnor View Post
There is no correlation between accuracy and rifle models. That would require assuming all models shoot the same, which is as silly as assuming all rifles within a model line shoot the same.

There are pencil barrels that outshoot heavy barrels, and vice versa. There are Savages that outshoot Anschutzs.

Most are average, with more and less accurate examples at each end of the bell curve of accuracy distribution, just like everything else in the world.

If accuracy is paramount as you state, find a proven used rifle and also get more rifle for your money compared to a new rifle...Tom
I do realize accuracy is luck of the draw. There are some good suggestions here. I like a walnut sporter look and feel, I prefer some cut checkering, blued finish, handles similar to a Remington 700 type feel, I like nice machining on metal parts. The $1000 price limit is to keep me from kicking though the woods squirrel hunting with a crazy expensive tool, just to shoot a few tree rats. I guess I really wanted some suggestions on models that usually exhibit excellent quality and accuracy. Seems like a G, should get you a pretty nice squirrel rifle