Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:43 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

This somewhat modified "Stack-On" has worked just fine for me.
And it's in a carpeted bedroom. Never had any issues.
It's not like I'm spilling powder all over the place, so I don't see what the problem is. (Other than a significant other). Mines a peach!

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 02-07-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:01 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You don`t want your nice new equipment to rust, and it won`t take bare steel long in an uncontrolled environment. I bought my Rockchucker in the early 70`s and it doesn`t have a spot of rust on it. Here in Kansas most everyone has a basement, and that is where it has always been. You`ll want to keep your components in a safe environment also, they will last indefinitely like that. Some of the powder that I have is very old, antique in fact, but it is still just fine because it has been stored well. You will want good lighting and a quiet space, free from distractions. I have enjoyed this hobby since the sixties and hope you enjoy it that much also. There is much to learn and you will gain a comraderie of some guys that you may not know at present. Take your time and welcome to the world of reloading.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:47 AM
TheCZKid
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got a small bench, actually a computer tabletop I got at a surplus store in town, it's 24" x 48" and it's attached to a metal leg unit (for machines) and I attached it with "L" Brackets to the wall in my office. It's very sturdy attached to the wall, and it's in a controlled environment, use it all the time.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:02 PM
millwright39
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DInghram View Post
You don`t want your nice new equipment to rust, and it won`t take bare steel long in an uncontrolled environment. I bought my Rockchucker in the early 70`s and it doesn`t have a spot of rust on it. Here in Kansas most everyone has a basement, and that is where it has always been. You`ll want to keep your components in a safe environment also, they will last indefinitely like that. Some of the powder that I have is very old, antique in fact, but it is still just fine because it has been stored well. You will want good lighting and a quiet space, free from distractions. I have enjoyed this hobby since the sixties and hope you enjoy it that much also. There is much to learn and you will gain a comraderie of some guys that you may not know at present. Take your time and welcome to the world of reloading.
I agree 100 % ----- The only thing we worry about is Radon! lol and then I don't give it much thought ... being recently moved to another town-- In the process of the new ROOM myself...

Last edited by millwright39; 02-22-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 PM
dgeesaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking back on this thread I chuckle - I found a quiet corner of the spare bedroom and tiny table, no bench.

I weigh the powder and fill cases on the table. I have not mounted the press to anything, I just sit down and the rest it on my thigh.

I'm sure that mounting the press solidly on a horizontal surface would give better feel but so far my results aren't bad. Ergonomics aren't ideal but I can load 50 rounds no problem.

I haven't given up on the bench but we're still in the process of cleaning out the clutter in the garage where I'll be best off.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:36 AM
284wahoo
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Op, I feel for ya brother. Your description of your homestead is almost the same as mine was 15 years ago, except I've never had a closed in garage. Pole barn, car port and house. Obviously, as stated already, the key is finding a place that is climate controlled and out of the main traffic areas if possible. Sounds like you are tracking as well as can be. For me, I parked my small home made bench in a little nook of my living room near the front door. My wife's a peach too, for putting up with that for over 15 years. Little by little though, I closed in my pole barn, and added a 10x24' room on the end with concrete floor, and vaulted ceiling I paneled with pine tongue and groove boards milled from an old pine I took down in my yard. I ran power out there, and installed a mini-split heat pump. In the process now of moving all my fun stuff out there. In reality though, I could do everything I needed to do on that 2X3' bench. Just have to get creative with the layout and make good use of all the space. You ought to firmly mount that press though. Maybe one of those clever setups in which the bench closes up into a big cabinet, located in the garage. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:08 PM
no4mk1t

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
See if this would be a viable alternative for you.

http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/cornerbench.htm

Old 11-05-2018, 03:27 PM
MarlinBullseye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
My press is bolted to the end of a 2x12 30 inches long.
Hangs on a nail in the garage until needed,
then is double clamped atop a counter top in the kitchen.
Trash can set underneath to catch debris.

Air conditioned and well lit with a comfortable chair while working.
This is basically what I did years ago when I was young and lived in apartments. Now I have a dedicated gun/reloading room in my basement.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:03 AM
IHMSA80x80
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
Spare bedroom. Dillon 550B and Redding Boss press on Black & Decker Workmate 400.

I was reading Dean's post and noticed a missing photo.

I restored the exact one that Dean had posted originally on 10-18-2017.

I added 3 more photos.

I plan to restore all of Dean's missing photos, as I read his posts.

Sadly, Dean passed away at 68 on Dec. 7, 2020 from Lymphoma cancer.

He'll be deeply and greatly missed, especially by me.

Marilyn [Dean's Loving Wife]

≡✪≡