What is the best used $1000 or less bolt action walnut sporter rifle? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2018, 09:11 PM
MarlinBullseye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is the best used $1000 or less bolt action walnut sporter rifle?

What is the best used $1000 or less bolt action walnut sporter rifle in 22 long rifle? I really want a Cooper, but that is out of my price range. So Remington? Anschutz? Browning t bolt or a bolt? Kimber? or what else? please be model specific? I want it to be super crazy accurate and easy to mount a quality scope on it. I want classic styling, trim feel and high quality construction. This would be my 5th 22 long rifle in the stable.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:26 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Remington 541S (no scope for that price), IF you can find one.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:06 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Anschutz 1416D. Anschutz will be the moist accurate of them all. I know some Coopers and Kimber can shoot as well, but you will not find a better used factory rifle for the price you are looking for. If I had the money again, and had only one rifle I could own, it would be the 1416. I have owned all of the others also, that you mentioned, and my go to rimfire would always be Anschutz, bar none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 05:48 AM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinBullseye View Post
What is the best used $1000 or less bolt action walnut sporter rifle in 22 long rifle? I really want a Cooper, but that is out of my price range. So Remington? Anschutz? Browning t bolt or a bolt? Kimber? or what else? please be model specific? I want it to be super crazy accurate and easy to mount a quality scope on it. I want classic styling, trim feel and high quality construction. This would be my 5th 22 long rifle in the stable.
There is no correlation between accuracy and rifle models. That would require assuming all models shoot the same, which is as silly as assuming all rifles within a model line shoot the same.

There are pencil barrels that outshoot heavy barrels, and vice versa. There are Savages that outshoot Anschutzs.

Most are average, with more and less accurate examples at each end of the bell curve of accuracy distribution, just like everything else in the world.

If accuracy is paramount as you state, find a proven used rifle and also get more rifle for your money compared to a new rifle...Tom
Old 11-01-2018, 06:33 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
^^^This^^^. It is luck of the draw. As far as bang for the buck I would say get a CZ. my most accurate rifle is an anschutz 64 MPR. but that isnt exactly something I would want to carry through the woods. but it shoots 0s at 50y with alarming regularity. my next best sporter that isnt a custom match barrel is a cz 452 varmint, and another cz 452 american, then another anschutz 64 (old match rifle). they have all been good for 1/4" or better at 50y. i have an old anschutz 64 sporter thats best has been .4s at 50y, which is about the same as the heavy barrel savage i used to have.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:50 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (62)
Skip the Abolt. Known to look good but shoot average. I have one and it shoots average. My B action Kimber 82 shoots very good and with some online searching you should pick one up for a grand or less.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:00 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
541T on Trading Post, maybe send to Brian Voelker then and be close to $1000
Old 11-01-2018, 03:07 PM
razerface
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
52 or 541
Old 11-01-2018, 04:50 PM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are guns in your $1000 price range that fit most of your criteria. But "silly crazy accurate" typically applies to guns that are custom built for accuracy purposes and cannot be touched for $1000. Of course, I think what you mean is that you want it to be exceptionally accurate as compared to most other sporter rifles. There are Kimbers, Anschutz 64s, Remingtons such as the 541, and so on that may fit your criteria. I say may because as has already been stated, any make or model is going to have examples that range from being relatively poor shooters to being exceptionally accurate. More money usually gets you a better chance at a good one. Unless you can shoot the gun first, you will not know until you own it concerning it's true accuracy.

All that being said, I would personally look at and handle some of these guns and buy the one that appeals to me. I recently sold two Remingtonb 541s guns. They were quiet accurate but did not appeal to me for other reasons......appeal is a personal thing. I would shy away from the Browning A-Bolt as they are not know for outstanding accuracy. the T-Bolt may be a bit better but still is not famous for it's cutting edge accuracy. I have had great luck from Anschutz. The Kimbers can be good....or not so good. I would not base my decision on claims of accuracy based on a single gun, but rather would take into account what the majority of folks are saying about a particular gun. My personal sporter favorite is the Anschutz 54 sporter, but that goes a bit beyond your price range. I also like the T-Bolt but not for it's accuracy. Incidentally, one of the most disappointing guns I ever purchased was a Cooper. So, there are no guarantees.

Good luck.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:14 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Just save your pennies until you can buy the Anschutz 54. Seems simple enough.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:10 AM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I know whee used Rem 513 is for under 500. Not mine, but know the online shop youi can get it from.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:29 AM
Cold Bore
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinBullseye View Post

I want it to be super crazy accurate ...
Don't we all?

It's been a while since I've heard somebody say "I'm looking for the most mediocre at best rifle that I can buy".
Old 11-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasconnor View Post
There is no correlation between accuracy and rifle models. That would require assuming all models shoot the same, which is as silly as assuming all rifles within a model line shoot the same.

There are pencil barrels that outshoot heavy barrels, and vice versa. There are Savages that outshoot Anschutzs.

Most are average, with more and less accurate examples at each end of the bell curve of accuracy distribution, just like everything else in the world.

If accuracy is paramount as you state, find a proven used rifle and also get more rifle for your money compared to a new rifle...Tom
Sorry, but this is not at all true. Well, most of it is not true. I for one, have owned several different Anschutz rifles, and have NEVER had one that I could not shoot bug hole groups with. I have also had a few 541-T's. I had one that shot good. The rest were either OK or horrible, to my standards anyway, and i am a very picky person when it comes to my rifles, which is why all of my bolt action centerfires are all custom built. Savage is good, but I have not seen one ever shootout an Anschutz as someone else has already stated. So as far as all of them being average, this is not true at all.

For the factory rifle, with the most accuracy potential, the Anschutz is the way to go.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Bore View Post
Don't we all?

It's been a while since I've heard somebody say "I'm looking for the most mediocre at best rifle that I can buy".
With nice wood though, possibly like Pump's Cooper.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:25 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
With nice wood though, possibly like Pump's Cooper.

To be fair about it though, I assume I got unlucky and landed on the wrong end of the bell curve with that rifle. One reason I don't buy lottery tickets.......