Mark III stovepipe issues - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:20 AM
Vermonstah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mark III stovepipe issues

Hi to everyone here at RFC, I'm new on here & this is my 1st post. Took my new to me SS Mark III Hunter to the range yesterday. I had shot maybe 50 rounds and I started getting stovepipes/FTE. I should've taken pics but I forgot. This happened with several mags, 4 times with one mag. Some of the mags are brand new,first use and some came with the pistol. Gun was clean to start. Any ideas?
Old 11-16-2020, 01:01 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More Info

FTE: Failure to extract or failure to eject: Is it a live round or a spent cartridge that is stovepiping?
Old 11-16-2020, 08:58 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
94% (12)
Put volquartsen extractor and volquartsen firing pin and use some high velocity Ammo to break it in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2020, 07:49 AM
HIghstandardguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
What was the temperature and what ammo were you shooting?
Old 11-17-2020, 09:43 AM
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The LCI...

If it is still in the gun might be the issue. Take it out and replace it with a filler strip or at least remove the metal piece and re-install the plastic part.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:12 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Were the magazines that came new with the pistol working ok?
Old 11-28-2020, 08:30 PM
Vermonstah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll try to answer all the replies to my post - the problem was a a failure to eject the SPENT round. Shooting at the indoor range at my club ,temp about 65 & Geco ammo. The LCI is still in the gun but it soon to be replaced with a Tandem Kross LCI replacement. I am also replacing the extractor & firing pin with the Volquartsen parts. As far as magazines I'm not sure which ones were giving me the problems but they were all Ruger brand. I have the gun completely apart & cleaned,just waiting for the aforementioned parts as well as VQ accurizing kit. While it's apart I';ve been polishing the barrel/receiver, grip frame,etc with my Dremel & Mother's Mag polish,really making the stainless shine! As soon as I get the parts I ordered & installed I take it to the range to test it & post the results.. Thanks everyone for your suggestions
Old 11-28-2020, 08:35 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Old 11-30-2020, 02:51 PM
WTB86325

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Clip ID

I paint a dot of different colors on my clips so I can tell which one is giving me trouble.
Old 11-30-2020, 08:06 PM
oldshot50
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Chaser's suggestion to use Hornady One Shot is spot on. It makes most any semi-auto action function at its best. I number all of my magazines. It helps me to identify a problem mag very easily, new or old. This is a small bit of advice given to me that I have found extremely valuable. Hope all of your efforts resolve your issues.