Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Xshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do recrown your 93R17... its worth it!

My GLV was shooting 2 - 2 1/2" random spreads at 70 yards. Sent it to Jim Pixley and had him cut the barrel to 20 inches and thread for a suppressor. I now get a perfectly defined star pattern on my muzzle. BTW - Jim does beautiful work.

I test fired 5 groups (5 rounds) and I'm getting 1 ragged hole at 30 yards. I would say it closed the groups by 3/4 - 1" at this distance.

Now I have to resolve the extraction problems and look into a permanent solution for bedding.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Simi-audamadik
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I've had Jim...

thread a barrel for me already and know that he does good work. When you sent your 93r17, did you send the barreled action or remove the barrel?

Later!

Simi
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Xshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sent him the barrel and receiver, but removed trigger and magazine guide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Simi-audamadik
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Thanks for...

the info!

Later!

Simi
Old 03-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Mark W.

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
My FTV shoots tighter groups with its factory crown so I won't be changing mine. At 50' I'm either in the black or spliting the X ring on an A-17 target. Bullseye is less then .220"
Old 03-02-2012, 03:14 PM
mikeystew
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W. View Post
My FTV shoots tighter groups with its factory crown so I won't be changing mine. At 50' I'm either in the black or spliting the X ring on an A-17 target. Bullseye is less then .220"
True. I'm not sure if these FVT's barrels are hand selected or if I just got super lucky, but mine looks hand lapped it's so shiny inside, slugs perfectly, and shoots sub 1/2" groups at 50m all day every day with the stock aperture sights. After several hundred rounds the first dry cleaning patch comes out nearly clean, the second comes out spotless. No lead and very little fouling. Leaves a perfect snowflake on the muzzle as well.

OP, I'm glad to hear yours is now performing like it should. Apparently savage lets the odd bad barrel slip out of the factory.

I sure wish we could use suppressors in Canada... If we could, and HMR was the cost it is down there, I'd own a few of them.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Xshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm disappointed in the function and quality of my 93R17GLV. Sorting out the accuracy, magazine and extraction problems do not make for a good experience. However, I do remind myself it's only a $240.00 rifle.

I own Savage center fire rifles and I very please with them. My .308 10FLCPK is as accurate as any high end custom rifle costing several times as much. That said, Savage would better serve the customer and their reputation by improving the quality in the rim fire line. Of course it would cost more, but that's expected.