69a - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2020, 09:53 PM
bobwoodie
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2011
Posts: 
61
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
69a



Log in to see fewer ads
Hello everyone.i recently came into a 69 a 22.has hooded front sight. rear swept bolt handle.gtooved trigger.drilled and tapped for peep sight.receiver also is drilled and tapped on top and has 3/8 scope mount blocks installed.because of the mount blocks does this rifle have any collecter vaule.i was told this rifle was made in the mid 40s.im thinking of chopping the barrel down to 18" if it has no value.all info is appreciated Thanks so much
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2020, 10:10 PM
bone

Join Date: 
Mar 2012
Location: 
South Louisiana
Posts: 
3,692
TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
We need to see some pictures to determine if the d&t-ed holes are factory. The factory drilled rifles bring a good bit more money over your standard rifles.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2020, 10:17 PM
bone

Join Date: 
Mar 2012
Location: 
South Louisiana
Posts: 
3,692
TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Just reread your post, I don’t believe the 69A’s came factory with the rcvr drilled. But post up some photos.
Here is a picture of my factory drilled 69A super match. As you can see the proof on the barrel has been offset between the holes.

Last edited by bone; 01-21-2020 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 01-21-2020, 10:39 PM
bobwoodie
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2011
Posts: 
61
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Mine has nothing on the barrel except front sight.im thinking the scope mounts are not factory.man who owned it recently passed away at age 91 army vet.shooting team member with dozens of awards and ribbons for shooting in the 50s and 60s said he purchased this rifle in 47. A member on another forum just offered more for the front sight than I have in the rifle.i need to do some more research before I do anything to it.if I was to sell it what might the value be? 90 percent condition has original sling stock is perfect little rubbing on the barrel
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2020, 10:59 PM
BobSc is online now
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Dec 2012
Location: 
Oregon
Posts: 
1,061
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Consider keeping it and shooting it. They are tremendous shooters, usually very accurate with right ammo, carry well and will keep their value for a very long time.

One in the condition you describe would be anywhere in the neighborhood of $150-$250 or a bit more, depending on condition or modifications done to the rifle.. pictures would help a lot in determining value.

If it has the swept back bolt and grooved receiver for claw mount scope rings, it was probably build around 47 or later IIRC.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2020, 03:44 AM
NHcollector2

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Posts: 
162
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
Consider keeping it and shooting it. They are tremendous shooters, usually very accurate with right ammo, carry well and will keep their value for a very long time.

One in the condition you describe would be anywhere in the neighborhood of $150-$250 or a bit more, depending on condition or modifications done to the rifle.. pictures would help a lot in determining value.

If it has the swept back bolt and grooved receiver for claw mount scope rings, it was probably build around 47 or later IIRC.

Bob
I would be very surprised if any 69s were ever fitted with claw mounts, that is an old European scope mounting system.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2020, 03:52 AM
NHcollector2

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Posts: 
162
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwoodie View Post
Mine has nothing on the barrel except front sight.im thinking the scope mounts are not factory.man who owned it recently passed away at age 91 army vet.shooting team member with dozens of awards and ribbons for shooting in the 50s and 60s said he purchased this rifle in 47. A member on another forum just offered more for the front sight than I have in the rifle.i need to do some more research before I do anything to it.if I was to sell it what might the value be? 90 percent condition has original sling stock is perfect little rubbing on the barrel
Given the history of the rifle I would think long and hard before buggering it up by chopping the barrel. The previous owner knew he had a good rifle and didn't change it, I wouldn't bubba it if I were you. Longer barrels, and 24" isn't really all that long, shoot quieter for one thing.

Speaking of Bubba, I was in a shop yesterday and was shown a US Krag that the previous owner had "restored". Polished and re-blued, sanded the stock, turned a nice milsurp into a flashy tart with zero collector value. We agreed that it had a value of no more than $400, down from over $800. It was a sad thing to see.

Last edited by NHcollector2; 01-22-2020 at 04:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-22-2020, 12:24 PM
BobSc is online now
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Dec 2012
Location: 
Oregon
Posts: 
1,061
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector2 View Post
I would be very surprised if any 69s were ever fitted with claw mounts, that is an old European scope mounting system.
Just using the term as a slang term for tip off rings.....

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2020, 12:30 PM
XLIV

Join Date: 
Feb 2005
Location: 
Panhandle Idaho
Posts: 
2,392
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Grooved 69a rcvrs appeared in1954

44
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2020, 01:27 PM
NHcollector2

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Posts: 
162
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
Just using the term as a slang term for tip off rings.....

Bob
Never heard the term used that way. Grooved receivers are that, grooved receivers, claw mounts are a specific type of mount.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-22-2020, 01:43 PM
Frog1570

Join Date: 
Mar 2013
Location: 
Oregon
Posts: 
38
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The original post stated "gtooved trigger." not grooved receiver.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-22-2020, 05:28 PM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Location: 
Cedar City, Utah
Posts: 
6,488
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog1570 View Post
The original post stated "gtooved trigger." not grooved receiver.
Just another Marine who is typing too fast. I have slowed down a lot. Big Larry Former Marine.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-23-2020, 05:18 AM
NHcollector2

Join Date: 
Feb 2019
Posts: 
162
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Larry View Post
Just another Marine who is typing too fast. I have slowed down a lot. Big Larry Former Marine.
Well, since it has the extremely rare gtooved trigger I would advise even more strongly against modifying the rifle, those things are like hens teeth!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-23-2020, 11:25 AM
oldbird13
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Sep 2012
Location: 
Indianapolis area
Posts: 
466
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
A picture is worth a thousand words...or sometimes dollars. I 2nd the advice of not changing a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-23-2020, 11:29 AM
Big Larry
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Location: 
Cedar City, Utah
Posts: 
6,488
TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHcollector2 View Post
Well, since it has the extremely rare gtooved trigger I would advise even more strongly against modifying the rifle, those things are like hens teeth!
Ha Ha Ha !! This Forum needs to be woken up. Big Larry
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x