Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2020, 03:52 PM
Dobeardsley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hollow point tips

Hollow point openings at bullet tipó 17 HH 20 gr specifically in my caseó if the opening is not square to bullet/bore axis does it affect consistency/accuracy? In other word, canted. Not the bullet itself, just the opening.
What is your experience and/or opinion?
Old 01-07-2020, 09:10 PM
FALPhil
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It has been my experience that a malformed base has a greater detrimental effect on accuracy than a malformed tip. That being said, a near perfect tip shoots better than an off center tip every time, all other things equal.

Also, I have found that when the hollow point is not exactly concentric, it affects accuracy in a non-linear fashion at range. In other words, the effect is less noticeable for shorter ranges, and more noticeable at longer ranges, so that the bullet can be moa at 100 yards, but 3 moa at 300 yards, and 7moa at 500 yards. This is merely an illustrative example and not actual numbers, since I don't have my shooting journal with me.

I have just about quit shooting hollow tips in centerfire rifles. These days, its mostly plastic tipped bullets.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:43 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (149)
Look at it this way. Most all match grade centerfire bullets are hollow points. So no, that hollow point will not hurt accuracy. Like the other man said... its the base of the bullet when it leaves the bore, and the precision of the shape of the bullet from base to tip, to that tip is perfectly centered.

Just look up any match grade ammo like Berger bullets, and you will see they are all hollow points.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 11:28 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any imperfection in a bullet can/will effect accuracy. It just depends on how much imperfection there is as to how much it will effect it. Naturally shorter ranges will lead to a less noticeable failure.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:12 PM
Dobeardsley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iím going to sand the opening to about even and test them again. Frankly, at 1:9 twist itís spinning rapidly, and at 3500-3600 fps, I just would not think it would make very much difference. As it was pointed out, match ammo is hollow point, as are varmint ammo of various calibers, and I doubt very much if those tips are perfectly square (match bullets probably are though) plus they are fairly fragile to denting or bumps, etc. My bullets probably have another defect that is less visible causing poor grouping, but this is an easy variable to eliminate.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:24 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks like you're loading for a .17 Hornet of some type? When I used to load for my .17 Rem I found it was a bit finicky for powders and seating depth and I have heard the same about the .17 Hornet. Try a few different powders and some plastic tipped bullets to see what works best, you might be surprised at the results. Seems my favorite load was H380 behind the Hornady 25 grain hollow points, but the plastic tipped bullets were just as accurate and deadly on chucks, coyotes, and rats out to surprising distances...
Old 01-08-2020, 01:45 PM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know who all still makes a .17 caliber HP bullet but I know Hornady discontinued theirs, so unless you already have a pretty good supply of them, I'm not sure I'd get to much time invested working up a load with a bullet that is discontinued.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:58 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Probably the reason the 'plastic' tipped bullets are the preferred ammo for hp beneath and the reason Hornady has upgraded to tips that don't melt at high speed.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:15 PM
wmrike

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Accuracy requires the bullet to be balanced along its axis. If the hp cavity is not centered around that axis (off to the side or crooked), you've got a problem. Think of it this way - No one will tell you that unbalanced tires or turbine blades are okay.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:37 PM
Dobeardsley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been working to find a combination if ingredients to make an accurate load using both Vmax and Midsouth Varmint Nightmare 20 gr, and the vmax is very nice at 12.4 gr CFEBLK with Fed 205m primers. It would be nice if the Nightmares were also grouping well, but no joy. As pointed out, the Nightmares may require a different load altogether.

I’ve rolled them to look for obvious roundness or unbalanced signs, at least a sample of them, and sitting on flat base for obvious canted bases and not seen any problems. I understand other users have had good results with these bullets, and my expectations are that they will not perform like top line bullets, but close. I also am aware that my eyeballs may not see small defects in the base or balance.

My groups are around 1/2 inch at 100 yards with Vmax. Very happy with that. I will continue my quest with an open mind, I’m happy enough with 1 MOA.

I believe Nosler still makes the 20 grain in hollow point.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:20 PM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’ve been loading for years and have often wondered the same thing, some are pretty noticeable. My experience with it is that the difference is imperceivable, by me anyways.