Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:14 PM
beer1234

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post
One thing i have never understood...

why is wearing an uncomfortable scrap of cloth around one's neck considered "showing respect" for anyone/anything?

a necktie of any sort serves no *functional* purpose and is nothing more than a frivolous cosmetic affectation, why are they so bloody popular?
About the same use as a tattoo and they're even more popular it seems. Nope none on me. At least a tie you can take off.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I never understood wearing a noose.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
I used to but I don't wear a suit anymore, for anyone.
Quote:
I have exactly ZERO suits, zero hangmans nooses...err "ties", and zero "dress clothes", and that's the way it's going to stay, I *LOATHE* "dres-up" clothes, useless, irrelavent cosmetic frippery that deserves to die a painful, screaming death.

(have I said I hate dress clothes? I don't think I have... )

When I become Dictator of the Multiverse, and acquire the Infinity Gauntlet, the one thing i'm going to "Snap" out of existence is 100% of all mens dress clothes/businesswear/formalwear, if it has a noose associated with it, it will die!
I have written REAMS on this subject, I absolutely, positively REFUSE to wear neckties and/or suits, tuxes or their ilk. Completely stupid, way too hot, and way too uncomfortable. I just cannot help but feel a bit sorry for anybody who wears this stuff - and I really can't take them too seriously.

Decry the tie!
Old 06-05-2019, 10:54 PM
Zorba

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now if you REALLY want me to "dress up", I certainly will - but it won't involve suits, neckties, or anything remotely resembling same. Granted, it would be just as hot, but somewhat more comfortable and certainly better looking!
Old 06-05-2019, 11:00 PM
Plinkhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have maybe 6-8 suits. Mostly worn for work and church. I'm retired so now they are only worn at furnerals and sometimes church. It's just a traditional way to show respect...but at 70 yrs old I'm caring less and less about others and don't give a rats azz what I wear.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:06 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok let me explain the tie. Itís a status flag. Like military insignia it lets others in the club know your rank. Pofsgary probably wore knit ties , Brown, in front of his students, by doing so they knew he was in charge, but that he wasnít a threat.

A red or yellow tie means the person is aggressive and youíd better not get in his way. A blue tie means heís a made man and can crush you if you piss him off. A multi colored tie means you are a thinker, and a valuable asset, ties with snow balls or golf clubs or Santaís, mean you donít give a rats butt, and should be avoided. The ties with diagnal strips means you are a worker bee and are willing to be exploited for a reward.

Bow ties, mean you are a pervert. Unless your wearing a tuxedo , in which case it means you are a victim of a pervert.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:16 PM
Miss-the-mtns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In one of T.S. Eliot’s poems, he writes the lines:

I grow old
I grow old
I shall wear my trouser cuffs rolled

As I read this as a young man, I had no idea what he
was trying to say. What the hell does old age have to
do with trouser cuffs.

Now that I’m an old man, I know what he meant.
As an old man, he didn’t care enough about his appearance
to have his cuffs hemmed. He rolled them and didn’t care
what anyone else thought about it.
Maybe as he grew older, he outgrew his vanity.

Last edited by Miss-the-mtns; 06-05-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:20 AM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
One thing i have never understood...

why is wearing an uncomfortable scrap of cloth around one's neck considered "showing respect" for anyone/anything?

a necktie of any sort serves no *functional* purpose and is nothing more than a frivolous cosmetic affectation, why are they so bloody popular?
It's not uncomfortable if you wear it correctly and it can have a functional purpose such as splinting, tourniquet, clean eye glasses, binding or gagging a prisoner, those kinds of things
The respect comes from taking the time to make a good impression with appropriate gravitas for one's role.
Students should be able to recognize who their lecturer is and take them seriously, much like a recruit should recognize the role of the guy wearing a DI hat.

When I started teaching we had anti war faculty(campus commandos) who taught while wearing surplus M-65 parkas as a political statement(no they weren't vets just back from 'Nam) What do you think that says to students?
Old 06-06-2019, 06:25 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What about dresses , nylons, and high heels. What does that Say?

Appearance is important. Just look at nature. It conveys all sorts of information. But sometimes that information is false. Just look at nature.

Itís a balance, and sometimes goes out of balance. Like cod pieces. Or neck ties, or other fads.

The important thing is to comply. Fit in and not stand out. Doing otherwise marks you as a target. No tuxedos at a monster truck show, no wife bearer t shirts at gala event. The whole worlds a stage and you better be in the right costume and know your role and lines.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:26 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
The whole world's a stage and you better be in the right costume and know your role and lines.
As my wife might say to me; "Its not always about you!" Thats what she thinks.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:01 AM
Zorba

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
The important thing is to comply. Fit in and not stand out. Doing otherwise marks you as a target. No tuxedos at a monster truck show, no wife bearer t shirts at gala event. The whole worlds a stage and you better be in the right costume and know your role and lines.
Balogna.

The human animal's relentless drive towards mindless conformity to meaningless convention and desire to look like everybody else makes zero sense to me.

I never have. I never will.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Zorba

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovannes View Post
It's not uncomfortable if you wear it correctly...
This too is nonsense. It is not possible to wear a necktie and be comfortable - unless, of course, it is 2X your neck diameter or more so you can BREATHE!
Old 06-06-2019, 10:16 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I have learned how a person dresses, has absolutely nothing to do with what kind of person they are. What I look for is cleanliness, manners, speech, and well groomed, and the respect they give to others when having a conversation. Even this doesn't tell you anything about their morality, or lack of. I don't go to weddings anymore (I know enough lawyers already), still do funerals (hat pin optional). However, there are times I really want to dress well and "put on the dog". When realizing I am having a "teenage flashback", I have myself a good chuckle and two Martini's (dry, dirty with olives) and go to bed. I feel better just talking about it. Yes, I have dress clothes, I'm not sure if they fit anymore.......... guess I'll find out next funeral. Wrangler jeans / slacks are still worn by well dressed men in Texas, no problem. Later Gator.....AH
Old 06-06-2019, 11:06 AM
eric123
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My everyday attire is jeans and a T-shirt...Special occasion? New jeans and new T-shirt...I don't like collared shirts either...The only time I dressed differently was my Army uniform, I was proud to wear it and it was actually very comfortable...

Last edited by eric123; 06-06-2019 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added
Old 06-06-2019, 01:28 PM
Zorba

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Collars are for dogs and BDSM games - and thus need to always be made of leather!