Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:28 AM
BillMelater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
455 varmint range report

After mounting 8-32-44 Mueller scope to my new 455 varmint it was time to shoot. I shoot all my guns at 100 yds so after a few rounds to get sighted in I was ready to put some rounds down range. Out of the box my 455 varmint is no tack driver but in all fairness its new and needs some break in and probably some decent ammo. The ammo I used was CCI mini mags, Rem golden, Win super speed and Blazer. Of the 4, it shot the best group with the Rem golden. My best grouping was 2" at 100yds.
Hopefully that will improve with better ammo.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
2" at 100 isn't bad for a brand new gun. Once it starts to break in and everything smooths out your groups should probably go down to half that or less. I would recommend trying a few more different types of ammo after you get a few hundred more rounds down the tube. Good luck

Last edited by Nick7274; 09-14-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:03 AM
CZ455man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a CZ455 varmint in 22lr with a bushnell 6-18x40mm. The best ammo I can find at 100 yards is Aguila Super Extra. If the conditions are good and I can do my job I can sometimes get 3/4" at 100 yards. About 70% of the time I am averaging a 1" group. RWS Target rifle ammo seems like it may do well in my rifle too. You will just have to do some trial and error to see what your gun likes the best. I noticed that after I had put about 1000 rounds through mine that it was shooting slightly better than when it was new! I also put a yodave trigger kit in mine and that helped a ton!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 09:26 AM
PEASHOOTER67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
With the ammo the op said he's using and probably a box stock 455 2" is probably better than it should be.

Especially at 100 yards. He would be better served with sub sonic ammo at 100 yards, that will help to shrink that grouping size.

At least a lighter trigger spring will do wonders to that group size at 100yarda as well.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 09-14-2017, 10:12 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
100 yards is not a range to test a gun chambered in 22LR. The round has such a low muzzle velocity, that the time of flight to the target is significant.

With this, the bullet is dropping for a long period of time, and even minor differences in muzzle velocity show themselves big time in vertical stringing. Plus, ANY wind will have a serious impact as well. If you're not shooting TOP quality ammo in dead calm conditions, you're not getting true measure of the rifle's capability. 50 yards is a much better measure, as the wind and variances in velocity are not nearly as exaggerated.

Last edited by n2omike; 09-14-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:25 AM
BillMelater

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
100 yards is not a range to test a gun chambered in 22LR. The round has such a low muzzle velocity, that the time of flight to the target is significant.

With this, the bullet is dropping for a long period of time, and even minor differences in muzzle velocity show themselves big time in vertical stringing. Plus, ANY wind will have a serious impact as well. If you're not shooting TOP quality ammo in dead calm conditions, you're getting true measure of the rifle's capability. 50 yards is a much better measure, as the wind and variances in velocity are not nearly as exaggerated.
I will test at 50 yds and try some top quality ammo. My range is in my back yard so I can shoot almost any time of day. Usually about 7pm the wind is dead calm. I will continue posting my results. No shooting today its pouring so a good day to go look for some better ammo.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:51 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Try some SK Standard Plus, Eley Target, or some CCI-SV. Doesn't have to be top flight, just better than bulk. BTW, 2 inches at 100 yards is not at all bad for the first time out. Differences in shot-to-shot vertical can easily be ammo variation within a 2-inch circle.

I have had much better luck in small target groups with the subsonic stuff. This goes for 50 and 100 yards.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:35 PM
transalp1961

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
CZ 455 Varmint

In my opinion, 2" at 100 yards is pretty good for a 455 Varmint. My doesn't shoot under 1" at 50 yards with any ammo I have tried, even match ammo. I can only image how it would shoot at 100 yards. As others have mentioned, yours will probably shoot better with match ammo.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:20 PM
tomcline

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMelater View Post
After mounting 8-32-44 Mueller scope to my new 455 varmint it was time to shoot. I shoot all my guns at 100 yds so after a few rounds to get sighted in I was ready to put some rounds down range. Out of the box my 455 varmint is no tack driver but in all fairness its new and needs some break in and probably some decent ammo. The ammo I used was CCI mini mags, Rem golden, Win super speed and Blazer. Of the 4, it shot the best group with the Rem golden. My best grouping was 2" at 100yds.

Hopefully that will improve with better ammo.

If your shooting 2" at 100 yds using golden bullets, I'd venture to say 1" or less is high likely with good match Ammo. I shoot sub-moa about 65% of the time with mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2017, 06:56 PM
HondaVTEC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't waste your time testing a .22LR at 100 yards . Far too many issues to contend with that have nothing to do with your rifle . 50 yards and subsonic ammo is the ONLY ammo to use if you're shooting for accuracy . There is just no comparison . Least expensive route is CCI SV . Its readily available , low cost and shoots good . From there its Lapua ammo for me . Never had good luck with Eley . Over priced and under delivers as far as my tests indicate . You should be able to get 5 shot groups close to .500 with a CZ Varmint rifle .
Old 09-14-2017, 07:08 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I purcashed a CZ 455 Varmint Evolution in 2014 to shoot Appleseed's and Silhouette.

This is the test target I shot to see if it was accurate enough for both of those.

Clearly it was.
The chicken Silhouette target was shot at 100yds.

In the end it had many issue's with the Appleseed rapid fire stages, so I sold it.

But it was a fine shooting rifle for sure.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 09-14-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:54 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
People really think it's a waste of time shooting a .22 @ 100 yards. I shoot at 100 yards with my .22's probably 90% of the time and have never had any issues with not being able to tell what the rifle is capable of. Shooting offhand with irons might be better suited at 50 but off the bench with a scope at 100 shouldn't be a problem for any 22lr. If I ever had a .22 that wouldn't group well at 100 yards I would get rid of it (providing that I eliminated any possible problems first). Since when is 100 yards too far???
Old 09-15-2017, 06:44 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
People really think it's a waste of time shooting a .22 @ 100 yards. I shoot at 100 yards with my .22's probably 90% of the time and have never had any issues with not being able to tell what the rifle is capable of. Shooting offhand with irons might be better suited at 50 but off the bench with a scope at 100 shouldn't be a problem for any 22lr. If I ever had a .22 that wouldn't group well at 100 yards I would get rid of it (providing that I eliminated any possible problems first). Since when is 100 yards too far???
If you are simply trying to evaluate the capabilities of the rifle, shooting a .22LR at 100 yards invites too many additional variables. Wind and ammo quality are MUCH greater factor than they are at shorter ranges. It only takes a tiny breeze or small deviation in muzzle velocity to make you think your gun is a piece of crap. lol

Sure, I shoot my guns at 100 yards as well... but don't use that range to try and evaluate their true capabilities. TOO MANY other things outside of the gun's control affecting group size at that range.

Good mid grade ammo at 50 yards on a decently calm day is the best way to evaluate things.

Good Luck!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:13 AM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
That's a very promising start, 2" at 100 yards with a new gun is very respectable.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
If you are simply trying to evaluate the capabilities of the rifle, shooting a .22LR at 100 yards invites too many additional variables. Wind and ammo quality are MUCH greater factor than they are at shorter ranges. It only takes a tiny breeze or small deviation in muzzle velocity to make you think your gun is a piece of crap. lol

Sure, I shoot my guns at 100 yards as well... but don't use that range to try and evaluate their true capabilities. TOO MANY other things outside of the gun's control affecting group size at that range.

Good mid grade ammo at 50 yards on a decently calm day is the best way to evaluate things.

Good Luck!

Fair enough. But I would still say 2" at 100 from a new gun is pretty decent especially considering it wasn't top shelf ammo. I do shoot all my rifles at 50 first to sight them in and then go right to 100 to see what they're capable of.