Recommended base and scope mount for TD? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:02 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Recommended base and scope mount for TD?

A friend asked me to mount a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 Rimfire scope on his takedown such that it can still fit in the OEM bag. This will require a QD one-piece mount on a rail with the scope/mount going in the third interior pocket. A couple of questions come up because I haven't tried this setup myself yet.

I'm thinking of using a Kidd extended rail to provide enough room to mount the scope for proper eye relief. Are there any problems fitting this rail over the barrel adjuster on a TD?

What's the best one-piece QD mount for this purpose?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:49 PM
Zealousky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which takedown model does he have? I bought a Lite model and mounted a UTG BugBuster scope on a Volquartsen cantilever rail. There are a few pictures in this thread. It fits in the Ruger bag with a little rearrangement.

There are a couple of drawbacks. The scope sits high enough that the cheek weld on the factory stock, even with the high comb, is father down than I normally shoot. I also had to use some Nikon P-Series mounts to bring the eye relief on the scope into a comfortable position.

If this doesn't strike you as the way to go, all I can say is get a QD mount with a lever. I bought some UTG 2 piece for my AR-10 that had a retention mechanism like this one on Amazon. It was a 2 piece ring mount though. This was my first QD mount and I still don't have a lot of experience with them.

Good luck!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:48 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I use the UTG medium height 1 piece QD mount with a UTG low profile picatinny rail on 2 of my takedowns. They both have .920 bb and Vortex diamondback 4-12 scopes. Very solid setup with perfect amount of clearance for the TD. The only problem with mounting this way is I have to use a cheek riser to get proper alignment, but I can't go any lower with the scope anyway.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:53 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I don't take the scope of when putting it in the TD bag. I put the barrel and forend in the sleeve then just lay the rest of the rifle in the bag rather than in the other pocket. Has worked really well and I don't have to worry about re-zero when I put it back together.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:56 PM
Bullpup-one

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
FMBob,

I use a American Defense AD-RECON-SL 1 STD. Very solid one piece similar to the DNZ mount but it is a QD mount, it works well with my Leupold vx2 2x7, repeatable zero.

Bullpup-one

Last edited by Bullpup-one; 04-17-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Smithjss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been extremely please with my TacSol Tru-Tac 1" rings. I have a similar setup on my TD but have the Nikon P22 BCD reticle. The rings lock up well, are QD and of medium height. I don't remove for bag storage though but use a larger So Tech Extended Go Bag.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/x-ring-se...-1-scope-rings
Old 04-16-2017, 08:41 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put the UTG BugBuster scope on my TD (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...&postcount=145). It's mounted using the UTG Low Profile Rail and the QD rings included with the scope. With this set up, I can leave the scope in place when I pack up the bag.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for your replies. Regular rings and straight mounts don't cut it on 10/22s - they put the scope too far back unless you are shooting from the bench. Kidd told me that their extended rail doesn't fit on TDs.

Couldn't find a UTG QD one-piece mount anywhere. Just ordered a UTG Pic base and a Primary Arms extended mount with the finger knobs. Perhaps they will tighten sufficiently. The parts will be here Thursday, so I'll know how well it works over the weekend.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBob View Post
Thanks for your replies. Regular rings and straight mounts don't cut it on 10/22s - they put the scope too far back unless you are shooting from the bench. Kidd told me that their extended rail doesn't fit on TDs.

Couldn't find a UTG QD one-piece mount anywhere. Just ordered a UTG Pic base and a Primary Arms extended mount with the finger knobs. Perhaps they will tighten sufficiently. The parts will be here Thursday, so I'll know how well it works over the weekend.

Don't know how hard you looked but a quick search on EBay or Amazon will find plenty of UTG one piece QD mounts.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:22 PM
FiremanBob

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ah, I remember why I didn't bother to remember about the UTG mount: it has those dumb railettes on top.

The UTG Pro rail ($20) and Primary Arms mount ($60)work perfectly, placing the scope exactly where I want it with about 1/2" room to move it forward or back as the owner wishes, and with a little purple loctite on the mount screws it's easy to take off but solid. The scope/mount unit fits perfectly in the third pocket of the TD bag.