Keep or return 512 Carbine for Current Model? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:13 PM
harrylug

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Keep or return 512 Carbine for Current Model?

I bought a new 512 Carbine in 22LR last week, and I just found out that the one I got is an "older, superceded model" with dual recoil springs and the "old" trigger, and that the "current" model has a single recoil spring and an "improved" trigger.

I haven't read of any particular problems with the "old" parts, and I don't think the trigger I have is bad. Are there any notable problems with the old recoil spring setup? I assume if a spring fails sometime in the future, the pair of them can be replaced.

Should I be thinking of forcing the dealer to exchange the rifle for current model production?

I contacted CZ and was told the "new parts" will not fit my rifle.

Suggestions?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:23 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I have a 512 22LR with the duel springs and it works just fine. Haven't had any issue with it. The trigger it has looks the same as the one in my 512 WMR but is much smoother that the WMR. If it were me I would keep what you have.

As for forcing the dealer to take back the one you have in exchange for the newer model, I'm not even sure how that works.
Old 02-20-2017, 04:40 PM
harrylug

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNewTricks View Post
I have a 512 22LR with the duel springs and it works just fine. Haven't had any issue with it. The trigger it has looks the same as the one in my 512 WMR but is much smoother that the WMR. If it were me I would keep what you have.

As for forcing the dealer to take back the one you have in exchange for the newer model, I'm not even sure how that works.
Thanks. I haven't come across anyone discussing problems with the "older" two spring model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2017, 05:16 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Should I be thinking of forcing the dealer to exchange the rifle for current model production?
Seriously!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:37 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Good luck "forcing" the dealer to do anything, he is under no obligation to replace your rifle. You took delivery, if it is deemed defective you need to take that up with CZ. If you bought a new truck and it came with 19 inch wheels and some of the same models came with 20 inchers, you expect the dealer to give you another truck?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:19 PM
harrylug

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
Good luck "forcing" the dealer to do anything, he is under no obligation to replace your rifle. You took delivery, if it is deemed defective you need to take that up with CZ. If you bought a new truck and it came with 19 inch wheels and some of the same models came with 20 inchers, you expect the dealer to give you another truck?
If I bought a new truck under the impression it was a current year model, and it turned out to be last year's model...
Old 02-20-2017, 09:25 PM
painterpm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrylug View Post
If I bought a new truck under the impression it was a current year model, and it turned out to be last year's model...
You bought a new rifle. Rifles aren't sold by model, or production, year.

You had a chance to inspect the rifle before taking delivery, and by signing the 4473, you accepted delivery.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Since you looked it over at the store, filled out the paperwork and took it home, I'm guessing that it's not returnable. There are probably tens-of-thousands, just like yours, that are working fine. Shoot it and smile!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:17 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I have one with a dual spring and the older trigger, and it's been reliable and accurate. If you like the trigger on yours, I see no reason to return it.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:26 AM
JMK
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Often times designs are changed to reduce production time and material cost. I regularly find myself seeking out older versions of a firearm to avoid the "improvements" that have been made.

JMK

...No way would I take a classic Smith & Wesson revolver and trade it in for a new one... nor do a lot of other silly things. I'd have to be nuts!

Last edited by JMK; 02-21-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:26 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
In my research on the 512 over the past couple of years . . . The reviews touted the dual operating rod/spring design was an very solid and reliable and I can say that holds true with the used one (22 LR) I purchased a few weeks ago. Very satisfied thus far.

Interestingly - I just purchased a 512 American 22 WMR yesterday and it has dual operating rod/spring design . . . Not the new single design. I will reserve the right to change my opinion after I put a few hundred rounds thru it . . . But for now am sold on the older design.

I am not an engineer on rifle actions, however the dual design seems more balanced than just one. If the single operating rod/spring design was centered then I might feel more favorable about it but off to one side it seems to me it might push a bit on the action. Then again that thought might be without any merit.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Often times designs are changed to reduce production time and material cost. I regularly find myself seeking out older versions of a firearm to avoid the "improvements" that have been made.

JMK

...No way would I take a classic Smith & Wesson revolver and trade it in for a new one... nor do a lot of other silly things. I'd have to be nuts!
What the heck is wrong with Smith and Wesson these days. I never meet a single person who like the looks, function or added parts of the key lock. Yet, they stead fast continue to offer that on 99.9% of their revolvers. I gess the whole world is cutting corners on finish, inside and out but why add junk nobody wants.

end of hi jack. sorry.

New and improved, you guys make a great case. Heck look at the 455, improved my eye. Cheaper to produce.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:49 AM
JDouglas

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Keep or return 512 Carbine for Current Model?

I agree with the above posts. I have the dual spring 22 WMR model and it is very reliable. I just assumed the newer single spring models were made to save production cost. FYI I replaced my old trigger parts with new parts from the CZ website and they were a drop in fit. My trigger was much improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2017, 11:30 AM
harrylug

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjferber View Post
In my research on the 512 over the past couple of years . . . The reviews touted the dual operating rod/spring design was an very solid and reliable and I can say that holds true with the used one (22 LR) I purchased a few weeks ago. Very satisfied thus far.

Interestingly - I just purchased a 512 American 22 WMR yesterday and it has dual operating rod/spring design . . . Not the new single design. I will reserve the right to change my opinion after I put a few hundred rounds thru it . . . But for now am sold on the older design.

I am not an engineer on rifle actions, however the dual design seems more balanced than just one. If the single operating rod/spring design was centered then I might feel more favorable about it but off to one side it seems to me it might push a bit on the action. Then again that thought might be without any merit.

I've reached the same conclusion...I sent an inquiry to CZ and the response was that they went to a single spring to simplify manufacturing and to help keep down costs. So, my dual spring CZ 512 Carbine is...a keeper. I do like the rifle and just mounted a scope and a bipod on it.

Last edited by harrylug; 02-22-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:45 AM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Personally, I find it high-larious,,,

First CZ touts the dual-guide rod as a performance enhancement,,,
Which I believe is true.

Now they needed to save costs so they tout the single-guide rod as simpler therefore better,,,
It's all hype and spin.

Every company out there actively seeks the cheapest "good enough" to market.

BTW,,,
I have the dual rod rifle and carbine,,,
I'll not be rushing out to sell them to upgrade.

Aarond