Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:56 AM
theearlof

TPC Rating: 
100% (80)
22LR Availability keeps improving

Was in my local Academy a couple of days ago and noticed they had quite a supply and variety of 22LR ammo. Don't recall all of the brands but they did have at least 3 flavors of CCI, Winchester, Remington in bulk packs, Aquila, Federal (2 or 3 flavors), and possibly a couple others.

AND all of these had been moved out to a shelf on the sales floor and prices were very reasonable.

Looks like at least in this area no one is hoarding anymore and buying everything on the shelf.

Still not seeing much if any in the local Walmart store but don't go there very often. Last time I was there, they did have a huge supply of shotshells.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:42 AM
ouc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I notice same thing

I'm seeing for the first time in LA, in a Walmart, a box of 100 Winchester Super X 40 gr. hollow point copper plated 1,280 fps for .07 per round, not including taxes.

I was never a hoarder but for my convenience, I would always buy around 10k-15k at a time because I would always introduce new shooters with .22LR and I provided the ammo the first time. Also for my kids. At that time, maybe 5-6 years ago maybe, cost was .03 per round and there was not an ammo shortage so it was easy to spend a couple hundred. Then there was a dry spell of very few range visits and I'm still lucky enough to have just over 7k rounds of the CCI Blazer bricks .03 cents as well some Mini Mags which we're probably around .05 per round.

At some point I stopped using my .03 per round surplus and would just buy a brick or two at .10 cents per round to use. We will probably never see .03 per round again but hopefully, we will see .04 -.05 per round.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:48 AM
supersharp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Connecticut is certainly not a friendly State for the Second Amendment but I have to tell you for about the last 3 months there has been quite a bit of 22 ammo amazingly even at Walmarts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2017, 06:04 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walmart are still dry here in north central Illinois. But in the rare chance I do happen to time it right and see some on the shelf, it's at a very good price. My local Dunham's has tons of .22lr but still at high prices. I look for things to improve mid year.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:30 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I'm sure there were plenty of suppliers hoarding 22 ammo in anticipation of the outcome of the Presidential election.
I'm sure they were surprised by the outcome, which lowered the "panic" demand. I'm not buying any 22 ammo unless I get a good deal since I think the prices will come down to pre Sandy Hook prices, plus inflation.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:43 PM
jimd441

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Availability continues to rise and prices continue to fall in Central N.C.

Jim
Old 02-09-2017, 11:35 PM
only1harry

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My local Gander Mountain put most of the 22LR out on the floor with no limits 3 or 4 months ago.

They are still not putting the Mini Mags out though for some strange reason. A few weeks ago I watched them bring out 2 boxes from the back for a customer, and when I walked over and said I will take a couple of boxes too, they said they did not have any more. So it looks like they are selling it to people they know or pretty regular customers. I am sure the employees get first dibs on CCI ammo too. But they had plenty of Fed. AE for $2.99/per 50, AutoMatch & Remington GB's on the shelves out on the floor. It was funny watching people take 3 boxes only, because they have been used to limits the past 4 years, even though there were no signs of any limits.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:19 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've got an obscene supply, but using ammo store stocks as an indicator of "normal" and it ain't here yet.

Not much of a selection here. Mostly match ammo or Remington junk. Occaisional Auto Match or Mini-Mags. I was seeing better ammo before Thanksgiving than I've seen since.

Still no Champion or American Eagle bricks, no Value Packs. Local big boxes still only getting a few cases a week, like factories have cut output. Since election, shelves should be full....
Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 AM
maxiball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

https://www.ammomenllc.com/store/ind...69&cPath=3#xml

Shop 'till ya drop.

Search the net for Norma TAC IF you want really good, affordable ammo.

If just making tin cans roll while making noise any .22 ammo will do.

I still have 1500 rounds of Norma TAC 40 grain solid.
Want hollow points? Get a hollow point tool.
Easy to make up 50 or 100 TAC rounds for hunting small game.
My tricked out Ruger 10-22 will shoot about any ammo well.
Even Remington.
Ruger = Kidd trigger, V.Q. barrel, etc.

Last edited by maxiball; 02-10-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:50 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cabela's in KC, KS has an abundance of 22LR and 17HMR. They even had some ammo marked down. It's been that way for about a month.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theearlof View Post
Was in my local Academy a couple of days ago and noticed they had quite a supply and variety of 22LR ammo. Don't recall all of the brands but they did have at least 3 flavors of CCI, Winchester, Remington in bulk packs, Aquila, Federal (2 or 3 flavors), and possibly a couple others.

AND all of these had been moved out to a shelf on the sales floor and prices were very reasonable.

Looks like at least in this area no one is hoarding anymore and buying everything on the shelf.

Still not seeing much if any in the local Walmart store but don't go there very often. Last time I was there, they did have a huge supply of shotshells.
Last time
Only a WM and GanderMt here. GM has boodles of RWS and CCI-SV and a couple others of less quantity since before Christmas. Last trip a guy I knew was eyeballing cf ammo and turned to leave. I asked him if he checked out the rf so he went back to that aisle and it was fun to watch his reaction when he saw it and how much.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Canucky

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Retailers here selling 50 rd boxes. Still havennt seen 22 at any WM. It's coming back slowly. Easier to shop online.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:09 PM
ronnielee54
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I went to a local gunshop last weekend and he had 6 boxes of Mini Mags 40grn on the counter. $6.99 a box. Asked him if there was a limit. He said no so I thought I would take 5 of them. I paused for a moment and asked if that was all he had. He said no he had a lot more. I asked if I could get 2 bricks and he said sure. When he was putting them in the box he said I can do you a little better than that. He grabbed a piece of paper and wrote 10 @ 6.49 and signed his name and told me to give to the girl up front. I though for a moment and asked if I could get 3. He laughed and said sure then changed the 10 to a 15. $105.81 out door for 3 bricks of Mini Mags. Made my day for sure.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouc View Post
We will probably never see .03 per round again but hopefully, we will see .04 -.05 per round.
Remember the "Buck a box" monthly postal matches here on RFC? Man I miss those days...
Old 02-10-2017, 09:24 PM
theearlof

TPC Rating: 
100% (80)
Up until about 2008, my local Academy sold bricks of Federal 510's for $6.80. Pretty decent ammo.