Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:24 PM
dlaugh6451

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Two possible parts guns Jager ap74, ap80

I got two .22 rimfire parts guns in a deal and I am not sure what I am going to do with them. One is a Armi Jagar Italy AP80, and the other one is a Adler Italy Mod Jager AP74. Neither one has the bolt. Is there anyone on here who knows anything about these guns? Resized_20170128_151737.jpeg

Resized_20170128_151813.jpeg
Old 01-28-2017, 06:39 PM
mh434
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had an AP-80, and I loved it. It was a great shooter, nicely made & finished.

Unfortunately, here in Canada, someone decided that they look too much like an AK-47, and were classed as "prohibited" & banned 4 or 5 years ago. They were all ordered surrendered & destroyed (without compensation, of course). Failure to comply would result in 10 years in federal prison.

I wish I still had mine, though! I bought mine, new, back in the early '80's.

As for the AP -74, I've always wanted one, but again, in Canada, those are classed as "restricted" because they look like an AR-15 (all AR-15's are "restricted" in Canada, require special licenses, and can only be used at an approved range).

The Armi Jager rifles I've shot have been great fun, reasonably accurate, and well made. Good score!

Now, as for finding bolts for them, that might be difficult...
Old 01-29-2017, 10:45 AM
pabryan
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one of each parts really tuff to find I've never seen a spare bolt for either. If you decide to sell please let me know, without seeing other parts that maybe missing couldn't tell you if bolt and charging handle would be all you would need to get them back to shooting. Good Luck it a shame they are decent shooters. Bryan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2017, 01:58 PM
mh434
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A year or two ago I could have helped with the parts, but not anymore. The RCMP and the government had declared it to be "non-restricted", and it had been properly registered to me (I'd owned it for 30+ years). When the RCMP suddenly declared it to be an actual AK-47 (or "variant" of one), and I was forced to surrender it for destruction, I was able to avail myself of a minor loophole in the system.

The loophole was that the frame or receiver of the firearm is what constitutes the actual firearm in Canada - everything else is just "parts". So, I gutted the receiver, turned in the outer sheet metal cover (the part with the serial number), and kept everything else.

A year or two ago, I sold the parts (barrel, receiver parts, 2 high-cap magazines, etc.) to a fellow with 2 AP-80's, one incomplete, so he have two fully-working ones for his kids.

In truth, he only needed to use his sheet metal cover, and assemble all my parts into it. My gun had only fired 50 rounds since new. Even the nicely-grained stock was brand new. It had resided in my safe for 3 decades.

You might have success with other models of Armi Jager rifles, as they probably shared a lot of parts...possibly the bolts, too.

Last edited by mh434; 01-30-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:55 PM
VASCAR2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
S

I think Mitchell imported the Armi Jager rifles and just doing a google search I got several hits. Numerich has a few parts but they have good schematics of the AP-74 and AP-80.

I even found a AP-74 bolt for sale on ebay. You might get lucky and find enough parts for both.

Armi Jager parts

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...739.htm?page=3

Bolt

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Mitchell-Gun...1157995/i.html

AP-80 parts

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...tm?results=All
Old 01-31-2017, 02:29 AM
mh434
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As far as the AP80 is concerned, here's a link to a .pdf of the owner's manual, including an exploded parts diagram. You can see that the bolt is a fairly robust piece, and pretty specific to this particular rifle, I'm afraid.

http://www.freewebs.com/socal_websho..._AK22_AP80.pdf

What's painful is that I see the high-capacity magazines are going for $150 each. My "parts-gun" went for less than that, including two mags. <Sigh>

Last edited by mh434; 01-31-2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:56 PM
blackhabu

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Jaeger

They are still in business. Mister Piscetta (the 'P' in AP) retired (at 80) some years ago, and sold the firm. Now they import and sell 'true' AR, and similar stuff.
I asked them some year ago (Mr. Piscetta already retired) about spare parts for my AP74, and their reply was that the New Jeager incarnation does not have any part of the old production.

blackhabu
Old 02-15-2017, 08:34 AM
Marc780

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm curious OP, did you ever restore these guns to working condition? I actually owned one of them back in 1979, the full size M-16 Jaeger AP74 rifle. What i remember is showing it to my friends to admire. Then taking it to shoot and watching it jam every 4 rounds....it was fun to look at though.