CF/Off Topic: Savage Target Action Binds on Shilen Barrel Threads - Advice? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:09 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
CF/Off Topic: Savage Target Action Binds on Shilen Barrel Threads - Advice?

I have a new Savage target action (.223) and a new Shilen 1:12 .223 barrel with a large shank. The lock nut that came with the target actions screws on easily on top of a little white food grade anti-seize. The recoil lug slips easily over the shank. But the action itself gets two threads engaged and then binds. I am using only finger tension to see how things fit together, but I wanted to check in here before applying any torque with an action wrench. Is this normal? All my small shank barrels mount in the action easy-peasy.

Because the barrel nut went on with no issue, I am have concluded that 1) the problem is not gauling of the threads on the barrel shank. 2) The problem is not the having the wrong shank diameter. 3) The problem is in the action threads. Visual inspection reveals nothing obvious acting as an obstruction.

Is this normal? Does a new action thread need to be "chased" somehow?

Suggestions, advice, and dope-slaps welcome.

flangster
Old 01-12-2017, 07:11 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (126)
Take a magnifier and eyeball the threads in the receiver. Did you buy the receiver bare, it sounds like you did. Is it a Model 12 single shot? I was told by Savage that they are large thread. I bought a 12 repeater receiver and it was small thread. If the threads appear good, you need to measure the shank and the receiver, the barrel will screw right in with minimal effort if all is correct.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:53 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
It is a bare action -- the "Target" model, which comes as a large-shank model. The thread pitch on the barrel is correct -- if it were not, then the barrel nut would not work, and it screws on just fine. I will have a close up look at the threads in the receiver tomorrow. And call Savage, if it isn't something simple like chaff in the threads. I don't have the tool to "square" the action thread and don't want to modify the action in a manner that would void the warranty. Kind of disappointing, but my experiences with Savage customer service have been OK. Still, I have had one response off RFC indicating that I am not the only person to have experienced this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 10:11 AM
gunsmither
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pitch diameter may be too large?

I would call Shilen and tell them of your problem. Is their barrel supposed to be a "drop in" barrel? Their pitch diameter specs may be oversized versus the factory Savage specs, to allow for "trueing" the action threads for tighter fit. Just a WAG.

UNIQUE gunsmithing tools and accessories for 10/22's, MkII's, S&W
Old 01-13-2017, 03:15 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I did so. Shilen confirmed that they fit a Savage barrel nut on the finished barrel twice before it leaves the factory. Back to Savage the action goes....
Old 01-27-2017, 09:44 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Action went back to Savage. They had it 10 days and returned it with a note, "burrs removed". Barrel attaches without drama now. Good on Savage.