Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:21 PM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New .17 HMR cleaning problem

My new CZ FS just arrived the other day and we got to shoot it on Sunday, though it was colder than the weather man predicted. This is my first .17 and my first FS. The stock is a very nice walnut with vertical stripes front to back (tiger stripes?). I'll send pictures when we get a sunny day. All four of us loved shooting it. Small gourds and pumpkins absolutely exploded when hit I'm not much of an off hand shooter but it seems to be very accurate as far as I could tell. The others agreed.
I was shooting Hornady V Max 17 grain, polymer tip ammo. I ran into a problem trying to run a boresnake thru it before putting it away. For starters, the brass tip at the end of the string would not go thru the barrel. I kept having to jiggle the string to get it down and it finally hung up about half way. So, I pushed a rod thru with a patch. It was hard getting it thru and when it did the patch was pretty dirty. With that, the brass tip dropped thru the bore no problem. I then pulled the rest of the snake thru but it was with great difficulty. Had to wrap the snake around a wood dowel to pull it thru. Both the rod and the snake were made for .17 caliber so it's not like I was using the wrong size. Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-28-2016, 11:42 PM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Typical.The snake will go through easier after several passes.I tend to clean mine with the rod anymore.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:36 AM
rbt5050

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
get a 17 cal cleaning rod. I think they work a lot better then the pull through type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2016, 06:15 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
The Patchworm made for .17's works well. I pull a patch wet with a Copper Cleaner first, let it sit for a while then pull another and then dry patch it out.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:33 AM
snipes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up a .17 specific bore snake a few weeks ago for my new Savage and ran into similar issues. I could get the brass end through, but for the life of me couldn't get it to pull through. After a couple unsuccessful attempts I returned it and picked up the .17 specific Otis setup for $3 more. It went through with the brush attachment w/o issue the first time. Haven't run a patch yet.

An added benefit is the brass connector is shorter than the standard 223/22 version so it should work with my 10/22 as well.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:16 AM
mnh2obuff
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had the same issue with a bore snake with my .17 and .22. I found bore whip to be very useful in cleaning my Savage 93r.

https://www.swab-its.com/collections...ps-by-swab-its
Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll try the swab-it and see how that goes. For Plan B I will try the Otis product. I've also written to Hoppe's. Maybe this snake was mislabeled. Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited by johnt; 12-23-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:12 PM
Bimmer74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a fan of BoreSnakes (or at least the deeply discounted generic ones) and I use them for all my guns EXCEPT .17.

I wrecked a couple BoreSnakes that got stuck. Finally, I gave up on them for 17.

Now I use Otis Ripcords for 17, and they're super. They're rigid enough to push the lead through from the breach to the muzzle, and I don't need a vice and a winch to pull the rest through. Done.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:49 PM
LEN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a couple custom barreled 17's and don't clean them much, like several thousand rounds. Run a patch through once in a while with a patch worm. See no down grade in groups. Maybe a lot of barrels go to hell from crap cleaning products, banging a rod to get something stuck out. Think more barrels go away from inpproper cleaning than those from just shooting till it needs a good copper cleaning with a nylon brush and good under sized rod. JMT

LEN
Old 12-20-2016, 10:18 PM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My bore snake problem is solved. I contacted Brunell's a couple of weeks ago about my problem and they sent me a new bore snake. This one is sized for .17 caliber. The one I had problems with was mislabeled. It had to be .22 caliber. The new one pulls thru with the normal level of resistance I've come to expect.
So now I've got a snake and a swab-it. Should have no problems keeping my bore clean. Thanks to everyone for their responses.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:52 PM
turable.shot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sometimes you need more:

I have a bore snake for basic cleaning of my Savage 17 HMR.

But I also picked up a brush, to clean it, and then I got a second one, (Walmart)

Opened one up slightly with two pair of plies, and worked the wire brush out of it.
Took maybe 10 min. I can now use it to run patches, as needed.

That with the Outers cleaning rod, (from Walmart, less than $5.)
The end piece screws out, to accept the bush(s).

Works just fine.

For what it's worth.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:00 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had similar problem with some patches that were labeled as "7/8 inch for under 22 caliber" They are simply too big and work fine for .22.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:15 AM
Heckers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have found what works well for me is to take Q-tips and cut the head off about a quarter inch below the tip and then thread the quarter in shaft into the end of my 17 cal. cleaning rod fit the end of rod rather nicely and also fit the bore snugly run them through the bore guide and out the muzzle with hoppes or bore cleaner of your choice. Try it you will be surprised how well it works
Old 12-24-2016, 10:56 AM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice!
Old 01-02-2017, 01:36 PM
Mowin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckers View Post
I have found what works well for me is to take Q-tips and cut the head off about a quarter inch below the tip and then thread the quarter in shaft into the end of my 17 cal. cleaning rod fit the end of rod rather nicely and also fit the bore snugly run them through the bore guide and out the muzzle with hoppes or bore cleaner of your choice. Try it you will be surprised how well it works
You sir, are a genius. I just tried this and it works like a charm.