Magazine Lips - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:53 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Magazine Lips

Can someone tell me why High Standard has not built their magazine with properly adjusted lips instead of causing every owner to spend time and money trying to keep them adjusted.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:09 AM
JVStalin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrat View Post
Can someone tell me why High Standard has not built their magazine with properly adjusted lips instead of causing every owner to spend time and money trying to keep them adjusted.
I've been shooting High Standards since the early sixties , and , I have had only a few ( < half dozen ?) that ever gave me fits. You sound as if you got (un-) lucky , and , happened to get a couple of lemons . Tell us your story.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:33 AM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
magazines

The magazines sold by the original High Standard company in Connecticut usually functioned reliably when new. I have rarely needed to adjust an original magazine. However, my experience is that the aftermarket magazines from Triple K were notoriously poor feeders from the 1970's until around 2005 when they redesigned the feed lip geometry to more closely match the CT HS magazine lips. Most issues with feeding involve the older versions of Triple K magazines. Feeding problems were common with Mitchell (Pastucek Industries) clones, and Houston made High Standard pistols that used previous generation Triple K magazines. The currently produced magazines from Triple K can function more reliably. The source of High Standard of Houston versions with hardened lip may prove to be more difficult to obtain due to the restructuring of their business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2016, 07:29 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magazines

Bob Shea told me that CT adjusted(and MAYBE test fired) EVERY magazine that left the plant. That is a big expense !!! I am adjusting EVERY Interarms magazine before it leaves the plant. I think that I have the best magazine on the market. THERE ARE some fitting issues with regard to the top/back of SOME CT pistols. It is an easy fix. I have changed the Heat Treat to allow for easier and safer adjustment if needed. I know that MANY of you have my improved magazines and thanks for that. If anyone needs magazine advice(even on HT magazines), please call me @ 713-476-0888.- Alan Aronstein
Old 10-08-2016, 08:09 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The bad wrap Hi Std magazine gets is from the Triple K magazines that have no hardening of the lips. Original Connecticut magazine do not have the problem.

Be aware that Hi Std target pistol are a lot more sensitive to magazine lip adjustment than most other target pistols because the feed ramp in the frame is so short. They rely on the mag lips to get the nose of the bullet into the chamber area without the nose distorting due to bumping into the edge of the chamber.

The history of magazines post Hi Std Connecticut is the magazines that came from Houston Texas High Standard Co. They were made by Triple K without hardened lips. Alan Aronstein, who then headed the Tx Hi Std company, changed the specs so that the lips got hardened. He bought Triple K parts and further heat treated them to get to hardened lips. Since he left TX Hi Std recently, he has offered still another version of the Hi Std magazine through his company, Interarms. These are supposedly the best magazine yet since the Connecticut Hi Std Company closed its doors in the mid 1980's.

I still say stay away from the Triple K magazine you can get at guns shows and at Brownells.

LDBennett
Old 10-08-2016, 10:51 AM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aronstein View Post
Bob Shea told me that CT adjusted(and MAYBE test fired) EVERY magazine that left the plant. That is a big expense !!! I am adjusting EVERY Interarms magazine before it leaves the plant. I think that I have the best magazine on the market. THERE ARE some fitting issues with regard to the top/back of SOME CT pistols. It is an easy fix. I have changed the Heat Treat to allow for easier and safer adjustment if needed. I know that MANY of you have my improved magazines and thanks for that. If anyone needs magazine advice(even on HT magazines), please call me @ 713-476-0888.- Alan Aronstein
I bought three from Interarms a few weeks ago for my Victor. Had a minor issue inserting a couple of them, easily fixed after a call to Alan. They all feed perfectly
Old 10-11-2016, 10:13 AM

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVStalin View Post
I've been shooting High Standards since the early sixties , and , I have had only a few ( < half dozen ?) that ever gave me fits. You sound as if you got (un-) lucky , and , happened to get a couple of lemons . Tell us your story.
Not me! I have one High Standard with two magazines. One works just fine and one will not.

Now, the reason I posted the question is: Everything I have read since I got my pistol two years ago says the lips on these magazines are NOT hardened and get out of alignment easily! There is a "special tool" that I can buy for $25 plus shipping to help keep the lips aligned...there are diagrams showing owners how to "bend" the lips in/out/front/back/etc.

Most postings about High Standard pistols complain about magazines not working; so I post the question and all I get is "Everything is great. No problem."

So be it...........there is no issue with High Standard magazines feeding!! Thanks
Old 10-11-2016, 11:44 AM
grandparem

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Still not sure why this worked for me, but... I had a 107 Citation and 3 mags. One fed every time, one fed part of the time and one seldom if ever fed right. I was about to make an adjusting tool, but since I did not know how many rounds or what ammo had been used, I decided I'd better change the recoil spring. After changing it, I went to the range, and not recalling for certain which magazine was which, I tried all 3 and all 3 worked perfectly. When I sold the Citation, I kept all but one mag to have extras for my Victor, which has a new spring, and all work in it. Strange but true!
Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Roadrat said in reference to the magazine lips:

" all I get is "Everything is great. No problem.""

Roadrat.........Did you not read my post?

There is a problem with Hi Std's feeding ammo with SOME magazines. It is a function of who made the magazines. It is caused by the design of the Hi Std with its extremely short feed ramp that is part of the frame not the barrel. The magazine lips are the dominant thing that controls the feeding, not the ramp as in other guns. When the mags are good the feeding is no problem.

LDBennett
Old 10-11-2016, 08:21 PM
GenoaBob
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi All,

Since we seem to have all the experts present, I would like to know why the new HI-Std mags have kicker lips that are .040 shorter than my old Hamden red bottoms?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 10-11-2016, 11:49 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any semi-auto that has been around for decades has magazine changes along the way. Magazine sub contractors change, new designers come along, and each has their own idea how magazines should be designed. The current magazine from Hi Std of Houston Texas and the new Interarms magazine were specified/designed by Alan Aronstein. With over 30 years and several iterations Alan seems to have found what works. There is often more than one way to get the job done. If the newer design works who cares if the "kicker lips" are 0.040 inches shorter as long as the magazines reliably feed ammo and the latest ones from both those sources seem to based on reports here.

Maybe Alan can explain his mags. He comes here often.

LDBennett
Old 10-12-2016, 11:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Mr. Bennett, Yes, I read your post.

Last edited by Roadrat; 10-15-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:09 AM
Kona Dave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kona Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrat View Post
Mr. Bennett, Yes, I read your post.

However, as I said originally - all I have read says the High Standard magazines do not have hardened lips; they bend easily; owners must tweak them to keep them working properly, etc. Lots of questions in the past about new magazines vs old magazines, etc.

I simply asked why the parent company doesn't manufacture magazines - like other companies - that work "most" of the time.

Then I get only responses that say there is no problem!!! I reckon what I have been reading for the past couple of years are all incorrect; owners do NOT have to spend $25, plus shipping, for a tool to adjust the lips.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. Sorry. I'm not getting any response to my questions so I'm gone.... BYE
If I may intervene here. It is the after market manufacturer called Triple K which makes magazines without the hardened lips. These magazines are not recommended however they can be used if you are willing to constantly tweak the feed lips.

The original HS magazines are the ones which most people don't have many problems with because the lips were adjusted before leaving the factory. And they don't require tweaking much if at all because the lips have been hardened. The new HS magazines have hardened lips as well but I have heard they may or may not require a little tweaking at first. But you could get magazines from them that work perfectly out of the package. And if my memory serves me correctly that Interarms TX sells magazines with hardened lips that Alan the owner adjusts before they are shipped out.

Now, to answer your original question. The one good mag you have is probably an original or new HS magazine. The one that doesn't work well could be a Triple K or it could be a HS magazine that just needs the lips adjusted.

I hope all this makes better sense.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:04 AM
flydipper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dave,

He's not getting the responses that he's looking for! Which is to bash on the company. If he had done any reading at all about the subject he would understand that the High Standard company is no longer what it once was. They're not interested in catering to the pistol line and in reality even to the original High Standard company pistols were a small portion of their total production.
The lineage of HS pistol magazines has been beat to death on this forum and is easily understood. HSWayne has a great write up on the generations of the mags and isn't that hard to find. His information is inaccurate at best and shows lack of true study. So let him leave!!
Old 10-13-2016, 11:13 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have to agree. When all the information was presented that clearly denoted both good and bad magazines, he persisted in saying the bad magazines were being over looked. That was not the case in my posts or others.

There will always be those that just like to throw monkey wrench into the works. We attempted to educate him and he refused the information. Too bad for him.

LDBennett