Need Some Reviews on the Ruger 77/22 - Specifically Model 7009 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:19 AM
Ladykiller

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Need Some Reviews on the Ruger 77/22 - Specifically Model 7009

I'm looking to buy a 77/22 and I've never owned one of these before. I'm wanting Model 7009 (black synthetic stock & stainless barrel) 22 LR. Any reviews out there on this particular model? Any thing I need to be aware of? I recall a few years back where they switched to threaded barrels in lieu of the v-block. Is this still the case?

Basically, I want to build this gun with these parts:

Nikon P-Rimfire w/ Nikoplex reticle and preset adjustable turrets.
Ruger SS Rings.
Volquartsen sear.

I'd like to have 1" accuracy at 100 yards if possible with this combo.

I don't mind sending the gun off to CPC, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:23 AM
Kiteman72

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the stainless/synthetic 77/22 in 22LR and it is my main squirrel hunting rig.

I had to send it back to Ruger because it wouldn't eject spent cases, but Ruger took good care of me and turnaround time was less than a week. I have 2 other 77/22s that had no problems so you probably won't have any trouble like that, I just wanted to mention it in the interest of "full disclosure".

If you find ammo your rifle likes, you could get 1 inch groups at 100 yards, like FlysALot said, they either shoot or they don't. In the woods I hunt, I rarely get a shot beyond 50 yards so I don't do much 100 yd shooting. I'm pretty sure the barrels are still threaded. The trigger is heavy, but it sounds like you have a plan for that.

I put a Nikon Prostaff rimfire 3-9x40 and I had to use high or extra high rings to get bolt handle clearance. This required exchanging the mediums that came with the rifle.

So my 77/22 was kinda a pain to get set up, but well worth it in the end.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Bigfred

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the very gun you're looking at, previously equipped with a Weaver V24, now wearing a V16.

It's been to CPC for the "Full Randy".

With the right ammo, Eley Edge in it's case, it shoots .3-.4" at 50m. But, with CCI SV it's more of a .5-.7" gun @ 50m.

I've shot it a bit at 100 and that's proven the previous numbers do in fact extrapolate out to around a 1.5" gun @ 100m. With such a light stock and thin tapered barrel it's unlikely that the marksman will be able to hold it steady enough to consistantly achieve 1.0" at 100m. Although, I suspect with the right(heavy) pontoon bag rider, a trigger lighter than the 1lbs mine's at, a steady hand and perfectly calm conditions, you might be able to achieve exactly that.

I know everyone has a wallet group. I do too. But, I'm lucky to hold 1" at 100m with a heavy barrelled Anschutz 54 Match. I really don't think the 7009 is the right tool for that job.

It does however, make an awesome possum rifle. And, Mrs. Fred appreciates the light weight, when she chooses to come out shooting.

Mine has a perminent notch in the safe. And, has claimed more than one possum out to 70m and beyond. But, I don't consider it a 1"@100m gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2016, 10:40 AM
mattysams

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I purchased the 7044 model a couple weeks, ss version with varmint target barrel and walnut stock. I got it off of Buds so it was sight unseen and if I had to do it again I would opt for something different as I don't feel it is worth the $800 price tag.
The things I like about the rifle are the fact that its all Stainless and its often wet and humid in my region so I don't have to be anal about oiling and wiping down the steel, it takes the ruger rotary mags, the 3 position safety is nice and so are the integral scope mounts and rings.
My qualms with this rifle come into play in the areas of the manufacturing quality control. These are investemnt cast receivers so there is a a degree of variation in the finished dimensions that is impossible to eliminate so to compensate parts are made to fit loose, granted the only way to eliminate this would be to machine everything but this would be a very difficult and costly machining process due to the complexity of the action. However for the price of these guns they should come CPC'd from the factory instead of having to send them over to Randy for an additional $300 which by the way is well worth it. The problems with mine started when it came out of the box I noticed one of the action screws protruding abnormally high and upon removal found that it had been cross threaded on and everything needed to be re run through a tap and die. I also noticed that the inlet holes in the stock did not match those in the receiver which is why it had been cross threaded in the first place, I fixed these issues when I pillar bedded the rifle but it should never have made it passed QC in the first place. The common complaints where also standard on this rifle, sloppy bolt halves, creepy heavy gritty trigger and poor finish with threads cut into the bolt guide channel and lots of burrs and irregularities left from the casting and milling process. The barrel also had the slot for the barrel clamp milled into it which has not been used for some years now since their threaded on. Accuracy was also poor getting over an inch at 50 yards. I immediately sent it over to randy for the combo and that tightened and cleaned it up and accuracy is quite acceptable now however I'm $1100 into this rifle and for the price there are much better options. For instance I recently picked up a NIB Kimber k17 hunter in 17hm2 for $750 and its a much better rifle in every respect as would be a winchester 52 repro or a 64 action anschutz all which can be had in the same price range or less. So all in all I don't think the 77/22 is a bad rifle just a bad rifle for $800, its evident that very little hand work from a trained person goes into these guns and with out that its impossible to get a a good factory rifle. These rifles in my opinion should be priced to compete with the CZ 455's at around $450 and even then the CZ will be a more accurate out of the box rifle with a better trigger.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:32 PM
Maricopa Smitty
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I love my 77/22 - 1994 vintage, walnut stock, originally with rifle sights. The biggest drawbacks, not regrets, for me are the bolt handle interference with the eyepiece of the scope; stiff bolt action which requires me to dismount the gun to work the bolt; and unexceptional accuracy.

The first issue can be managed with the correct choice of optics. If you like Leupold glass you'll be happy since the eyepieces on their rimfire scopes allow good clearance from the bolt handle. I started with a Simmons 22 Mag scope which was OK for a cheapie, and it now wears a Weaver RV-9. If the eyepiece of your chosen scope is no bigger than 1.6" in diameter, you can get away with the rings Ruger provides with the rifle. Any larger and you'll most likely have to select taller rings.

The second and third issues I have are related. I turned the gun over to Randy after I had it a couple of years and had put a few bricks through it. He re-cut the chamber and did the full bolt-tightening procedure. I believe as a result of the bolt tightening, the bolt lift and downturn are pretty stiff. I can work my CZ bolt guns with 2 fingers, but my 77/22 needs more force than I can muster with the gun on my shoulder, so I need to dismount it to work the bolt. Not ideal if you're punching paper for accuracy testing. And lastly, I had hoped to get a tack-driver out of this gun after the CPC rework, but that didn't happen. I don't have a pre-CPC baseline, but before I put the Weaver on it and started playing with floating the barrel, the gun managed about an inch at 50 yards with decent ammo, like CCI SV. The rifle is a work in progress with regard to accuracy, and I'm not planning to replace the barrel.

On the plus side, the gun handles nicely; it's an adult-sized rifle with an adult-sized length of pull; and it's a handsome rifle. Minute-of-squirrel-head is sufficiently accurate for my purposes, but I'll keep playing with it to see what I can squeeze out of it.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:18 AM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the rifle is an excellent buy if you have a pretty good machine shop, and know how to use the equipment, along with even more handwork.
In that thought mode, the rifle is simply a parts kit. When completed, I believe the rifle is as good as the custom sporting rifles, that great looking fat action is really nice when slicked up and smoothed out "tight with no bind"

I have read many post here over several years, I have done every modification except sleeving the bolt for a tighter fit to the handle half. I believe the best starting point is the fitting bolt lugs and the pads in the reciever for even contact. Then, the barrel/receiver fit. Once that is done, the dimensional problems of the bolt distance from the barrel face, and the rim pocket in the bolt for head space and etc.
I got all those dimensions to the cartridge corrected, with the bolt set at less then .001" from the barrel face when closed. When I installed the action back into the wood stock, the bolt handle would bind. I then Pillar bedded the action eliminating the bind.
It was a fun project for me, I estimate at least 100 hours, most being hand work fitting every part of the rifle.

Last edited by donie; 08-23-2016 at 01:04 AM.