Franklin Armory F17-L - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:58 AM
K9ozzy
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Franklin Armory F17-L

Anyone that owns the rifle or a variation of it, how are you liking it? I'm seriously considering getting one. I just wanted to get some opinions from the guys that own one or have hands on experience. I saw Eric's video review and it was very informative. I was wanting to see if anyone else would chime in with their experiences with it. I don't drop $2000 on a rifle very often (actually never) and just trying to gather as much info as possible before I commit. Thanks greatly.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 AM
Cabelaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm a stickler on the triggers I have on my rifles. I prefer a 3 lb crisp single stage trigger and on my CZ's a set trigger. Right now I can't get a 3 lb pull for my Franklin Arms 17 WSM upper because it requires a mil spec hammer and spring. I can't find an upgraded trigger that has the mil spec length hammer. Without that lenght the hammer gets wedged against the bolt as it moves forward.
Is it a deal breaker for me. If I had known Ruger was coming out with a 17 WSM and I knew I couldn't use a lighter trigger on the Franklin Arms upper then I would have held out for the Ruger. I want my rifles to be as accurate as possible.
Franklin had better get on top of this issue or I believe they will lose sales to Ruger if their rifle is not a dud (Bmag).
Old 01-24-2015, 11:56 AM
K9ozzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Would any polishing help out? It is accurate enough for hunting purposes right? No other issues other than the trigger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2015, 12:53 PM
prairiefire
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
K9 - sent you a PM. I have heard that there is a newer trigger - probably from a supplier other than Franklin that may be on the market soon. The gun does shoot very well and the trigger isn't horrible - I do like my guns to be around 2.5# for trigger pull - that little surprise as it breaks is nice!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:03 PM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just got back and will have a bit more info. K9ozzy, I'll reply to your PM when I get a chance as well. We are trying to get our info together and I will have more time later today, or tomorrow.

Cabelaman, please speak to Ryan at FA again. We spoke to them at SHOT and I think more input from you as well, may be helpful.

Eric
Old 01-24-2015, 01:57 PM
K9ozzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
K thanks guys. I'm really curious to see how the shorter barrel effects velocity and accuracy. I would also think the 16" version would be threaded. If it's still holds good velocity and accuracy, I believe that would be more up my alley. I do more walking around hunting than I do benchrest style varmint hunting. I would be thrilled to have either though.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:21 PM
Eric Mayer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We will have more info on the carbine, but here is one of our pictures for now:

Eric
Old 01-24-2015, 02:36 PM
K9ozzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep........wished you wouldn't have posted that pic. Now I'm slobbering and day dreaming about some sweet hunting trips with that rifle!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Cabelaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ordered a Wilson Combat two stage trigger that appears to have a longer hammer.
Just finished shooting at 50 yd range with standard mil spec trigger.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Cabelaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I figured a way to easily load the Franklin magazine. Insert a safety flag through the spring and draw down.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:23 PM
prairiefire

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Excellent idea - after 8 rounds loaded it gets to be a pain for me to squeeze more rounds into the mag
Old 01-26-2015, 02:50 PM
caldy23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone know of these being in stock anywhere? I don't live near any of their dealers and everything online seems like it's sold out.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:16 PM
Cabelaman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I you have a complete AR-15 then you can just order the Franklin Arms upper directly from them and install it on your lower.

http://franklin-armory.myshopify.com...upper-assembly
Old 01-27-2015, 01:42 PM
caldy23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. I've seen those, I think I'm set on the f17l over the v4.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:42 PM
K9ozzy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really like the idea of the carbine model, but after some serious thought I believe I have decided to go with the F17-L. Here's why

Increased velocity. Potentially better accuracy however slight it may be. From personal military experience, the transition from M16 to M4 and the differences between the two in velocity, accuracy, bullet path or your hold over at various ranges were more extreme with the M4. The difference in the two rifle barrels is 4" just like the 2 Franklin armory guns. 4" can make huge difference in a barrel. It may or may not have the same effect on the 17's but all I have to go off of is my own personal experiences with guns that are basically the same setup. I don't think the advantage of better mobility and and slightly lighter gun will make up for the potential disadvantages I listed above. All I can do is assume until someone does an in-depth comparison of the two side by side with a chronograph and being fired at different ranges for poi comparison. Another reason is I was also in addition to the F17-L was thinking of picking up an Alexander Arms .17hmr AR. This would provide a carbine type rifle for me that would suit those needs/wants like a carry around hunting rifle (Squirrel Season and such) while the F17-L would be the big brother used for longer ranges with more fixed position shooting.

Any thoughts/opinions or knowledge is highly appreciated

Last edited by K9ozzy; 01-27-2015 at 06:19 PM.