Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:54 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Nikon scope on new RAR 22 Compact

I put a Nikon 4x32 scope on my RAR 22LR after shooting it the first time with iron sights. I've given up on iron sights; OK for hitting big targets, but not so good for my style of shooting these days.

I had it more or less sighted on the 7th shot. After that it was just fine tuning & comparing ammo. After about 30 rounds, I was getting consistent less than 1/2" 5 shot groups at 25 yards; pretty good for me. Some one hole groups, some not. I'm as impressed with this RAR as I was with my RAR 22WMR. Amazing accuracy for the money.

I noticed a few things during my sighting in session & comparo shoot-out with my old Marlin 25N.

1) Both guns shot CCI standard velocity better than the Federal Champion 510s I brought along. CCI groups averaged 1/2 the size of the Federal groups across multiple targets with both guns.

2) The top round of CCI SV hung up several times in the RAR rotary mag; It was a simple matter to drop the mag, reseat the top round, reinsert the mag and work the bolt with authority, but it was annoying to say the least. This happened probably 6 or 7 times with CCI but not once with the Federal. Never happened with the RAR 22WMR mag either, using CCI & Hornady ammo.

3) The straight Nikon 4x32 scope is much better than the BPS Redfield 3-9x32 scope on my old Marlin 25N. Brighter, clearer, and more forgiving to eye relief than the BPS scope. I really like the Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scopes for my needs. Good quality, reasonable price. Until I looked through my friend's Leupold VX-R Firedot 4-12x40 30mm scope. Wow! Now that's a nice scope.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:36 AM
Rosebud22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The top round of CCI SV hung up several times in the RAR rotary mag
I had the same issue with my then new RAR. I noticed the spring on the mag was really tight. Took it apart and reduced the tension. Problem solved.
Also +1 on the Nikon Prosaff scopes. Very clear, a pleasure to use.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:01 AM
bman940

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cabin, Nice range report. I haven't tried used Nikon's PROSTAFF 4X Rimfire in a long time so I was happy to see other's like it as well. A buddy has it on his pig gun here in Tx., fixed 4X gives him excellent field of view and light gathering. I think it would work great with my Night vision optic as well. Would love to see some pics. I"m also a big fan of CCI, thank goodness they are showing up in greater number's now days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 10:23 AM
JeepDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Nikon scopes exclusively on my rimfires. I have a 4x32 Prostaff on a 10/22, my RAR Compact is sporting a P-22 2-7x32. Never had that issue with CCI SV but I have noticed the wax they're coated in build up in places causing issues.

Here's a pic of my Duracoated RAR Compact
Old 11-10-2014, 05:44 PM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rosebud22 - I don't think it is the rotary mag causing the problem; the Federal worked without issue, just the CCI would hang up.

JeepDave - Your rifle amazed me the first time I saw it posted & still does. Not something I'd undertake myself, but impressive to say the least. I have the Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 scope on my RAR Standard 22WMR. Fits my needs for that gun too.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:17 PM
edwincito112002
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bifocals

I installed DIP rail with LEUPOLD QRW rings and LEUPOLD 4x28mm scope and I love the balance of this scope on the compact R.A.R.
However, I moved my SIGHTRON SI39X32RF to the R.A.R to try for more power for target fun...I had printed the small 1" target that have (25) 1"circle targets and have 3 sighters in a row at the bottom (match targets by INDY at the TARGETS section)
I was shooting only at 25 yards. due to my poor eyesight. I was shooting good at this distance but I wish I had more power for shooting after a few hours.
anyway ..the sightron scope I have is non-adjustable. Is a pretty good scope but I wish I had a scope with AO. I do love my 4power scope for close-in. But I will need more powerful scope with AO for 50 yards.

Last edited by edwincito112002; 11-13-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:11 PM
edwincito112002
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I forget ,with using Bifocals and the 3-9 non-A0 SIGHTRON scope at 25 yards.I was SEEING pretty good and clear and had no parallax that I could see.
But unaided by my glasses I can see slight parallax, even at 15 yards.
And with the LEUPOLD 4X28 I can see real good with or without Bifocals, other than that for me I need more power at longer distances .
Old 11-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Medcoxo
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI mini mag work for me. Cannot find any Sv at a reasonable price. When it was in, it was 2x the cost of mini mag.
I have a center point 3-9, and find that I only use the highest setting anyway, so I will be looking at that Nikon at tax refund time.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:20 PM
VNBing
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to VNBing
I'm slowly beoming a Nikon fan. I've got both a 3-9 prostaff and a 3-9 EFR AO. Today I was looking at a Nikon range finder for a Xmas gift to a hunting buddy who's terrible at judging distances.

I'm in the market for higher magnification scope scope and I'll definately checkout Nikons.