Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
sample tested RAR

I took my daughter and her new RAR out to the shooting range this morning. My Son-inlaw picked it up last week and was awaiting a time when he and I could go to the range. Nope ... she talked me into going to the range with her first (she drove).
Right out of the box it was running great. She was putting all her rounds on the paper as expected, and the second hundred rounds homed in on the now ragged centers of her targets.
I did get to squeeze off a few rounds. I found the trigger to be smooth and the open sights almost right on for me. Rather than shooting at the target I chose to shoot at a piece of clay pigeon sitting up on the back stop. Third shot holding a tad below the little piece... obliterated it (25yds). The bolt on the other hand is a little course although ejection was brisk... likely a good cleaning and lube will help. The mags performed in the manner expected from Rugers rotary mags (10&25). I liked the 18 inch barrel and how portable it is. IMHO... This will make a fine hunting/target gun with very little work needed if any.
My daughter said the RAR is a bit heavier than their Remington 514 even though the RAR has the synthetic stock. She declared that the 514 is his now, (was her rifle) and said he won't like the RAR as it won't shoot well for him seeing as he shoots left handed (the 514, it is right handed too but for some reason he likes shooting it). I don't think he is going to win this argument... I'm going to have to recommend he keep looking for a lefty.
I might even consider getting myself a RAR.

Last edited by Indigo22; 09-19-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Specter23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
For the price - IT CANT BE BEAT
Old 09-19-2014, 04:17 PM
jmccoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Great guns. I think you'll like it.

Given that they just announced Ruger Americans in left handed, they might release Rimfires in left hand at some point as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 04:57 PM
tb2cam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine shoots great and I have yet to find anything I don't like about it. Enjoy.....
Old 09-19-2014, 05:44 PM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Sounds like a fun day.

I've also found the American Rimfires to be great rifles with very little need for the after-market.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:08 PM
jmccoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Sounds like a fun day.

I've also found the American Rimfires to be great rifles with very little need for the after-market.
I agree. Don't know what else it would really need. I put a scope, bipod, and larger bolt knob on mine and think it's about perfect. Sometimes I think about painting the stock, but that's all else I could really see doing. I like the trigger and the barrel is plenty accurate.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccoy View Post
Great guns. I think you'll like it.

Given that they just announced Ruger Americans in left handed, they might release Rimfires in left hand at some point as well.
That is just the problem... I did like it. I may have to trade off my Stevens Favorite to get one though.

For my son inlaws sake I hope they bring out a lefty soon in the rimfire.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:06 PM
tb2cam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccoy View Post
I agree. Don't know what else it would really need. I put a scope, bipod, and larger bolt knob on mine and think it's about perfect. Sometimes I think about painting the stock, but that's all else I could really see doing. I like the trigger and the barrel is plenty accurate.

To add to that, if you absolutely must have a wood stock, Boyds has several available for the RAR. I toyed with the idea in the beginning but have to admit the plastic stock on this model has been growing on me. The gun has that "solid" feeling and I like the ergonomics just fine. I may leave it alone. Also for peep sight fans, Tech-Sights makes a set for the RAR - they're working out great on mine. Other than that, I have to agree the gun needs very little to make it better.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Specter23

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb2cam View Post
To add to that, if you absolutely must have a wood stock, Boyds has several available for the RAR. I toyed with the idea in the beginning but have to admit the plastic stock on this model has been growing on me. The gun has that "solid" feeling and I like the ergonomics just fine. I may leave it alone. Also for peep sight fans, Tech-Sights makes a set for the RAR - they're working out great on mine. Other than that, I have to agree the gun needs very little to make it better.
I agree, the plastic stock is nice for weight and all weather, but I also felt it needed something more.

Scope, bipod, threads, a little color, and a muffler
Old 09-19-2014, 08:29 PM
jmccoy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter23 View Post
I agree, the plastic stock is nice for weight and all weather, but I also felt it needed something more.

Scope, bipod, threads, a little color, and a muffler
I toy around with the idea of coloring my stock like yours. I want to, but sometimes I don't. Yours looks really sharp.

I like the idea of these cheap plastic stocks because you can just change them out, color them, do whatever you want with them. If I wanted to "class it up" I'd get a wood stock, but I feel that would be better on a stainless gun.

I guess my RAR is more my "tactical" setup with the suppressor, bipod, etc.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:30 PM
tb2cam

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Specter23 - Wow, that looks amazing.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Specter23

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb2cam View Post
Specter23 - Wow, that looks amazing.
Thanks -I have put a lot of time and money into my 10/22, but still enjoy this RAR more right now. The stock is FDE cerakote.

Jmccoy got it right - cheap plastic stock- can't hurt it too much.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:12 AM
Manly Man
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
For my son inlaws sake I hope they bring out a lefty soon in the rimfire.
I doubt there will ever be a lefty version of the RAR for the same reason that after 50 years there's no lefty version of the 10/22. The magazine lip is the primary ejector in the Ruger rotary magazine rimfire rifle designs, and they eject to the right (see an example here). In order to have a left hand version, it would require a mirror image magazine, and that would create a headache that I'm sure Ruger would just as soon avoid. Imagine all the complaints from people who can't get their right hand magazines to work in a left hand gun, or all the gripes about why users have to purchase different magazines for their right and left guns while Marlin and Savage and pretty much everybody else have a common magazine.

I'm not privy to anything Ruger does, so I may be wrong.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:35 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Left hand bolt right hand port. Several manufacturers have built them this way.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:27 PM
Macc

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
My daughter and I looked at various pics on the RAR pic thread. From what she saw, she came up with the color scheme she chose. The fact we couldn't really hurt the stock, gave me confidence to paint and clear coat it. I still can't get over what we got for the price in today's dollars.