Any interest in a short range match category ? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Let's start this in December.

Post #11, so you don't need to scroll back to it:

Proposed Winter Air Rifle Match
Proposal
RFC Winter Air Rifle Match
Musings: A collection of brain droppings.
Mission?
A casual and fun event for beginners to experts while Pursuing Your Own Excellence. Trying different equipment, stance, hold, pellets, temperature, Etc. You are shooting against yourself.
Time?
How about no time limit. No pressure. Pursue your goal at your own pace. Establish your own best procedure and habits. Then speed it up in regular competition.
Distance?
It appears that most of the posts are comfortable with 10 meters (~33 Ft.) which is an acceptable standard.
Position?
The standing position is the most difficult test in shooting. If you have a handicap, sitting is OK but elbows must be free of contact.
Caliber?
.177 & .22 are the most selected, start with that. Same target. KISS principal applies. Only one target to worry about.
Number of shots?
Starting out, how about 10. If you want to do more, shoot more and post your best.
Frequency?
Every two weeks.
Posting Info?
Name, Match No, Rifle Mfg, Sight, Caliber, Pellet, Position, Indoor/Outdoor, Score.
Target picture is optional.
Target?
A down-loadable target, 10 meter with a black area in the 9 ring area with a white center. (I like the 5 bull, 2 shots per bull = 10) Then it's more user friendly for iron sights, peep sights and scopes.
Equipment?
Air rifle, springer, single pump, multi-pump, PCP, CO2.
These are just a few thoughts to start with. What is yours?
I would like to have a target we select first so we can practice now.
Anyone have a source, idea, link?
Pointfocus, P.M.O.E.

& let's use the A17 target. As scores get posted and we get some shooting in, we can fine tune rules if needed. Reminder, we truly do shoot against ourselves. The object is to get some trigger time, have fun and get better at shooting from a standing position.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Dont know if this has been mentioned before. For those of us using .177 on the A17, it can be scored by using a .22 plug in the .177 holes. That keeps everything on a single target (for both calibers) and follows the KISS that David mentions.

Best deal I know of on plugs is here at 6.00 delivered: Might need to call Susan and tell her what caliber
http://hughesprecision.com/HPP020620...R_targets.html

The .25 caliber guys are just plain cheating though.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:02 AM
pointfocus
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winter Training Air Rifle Match

Quote:
Originally Posted by artanmac View Post
That's some crazy gusts to be shooting an air rifle in Gil. What kind of score did you end up with? I hope to shoot a target or two tomorrow or the next day. I will post my scores just to get something going. Maybe try to get some scores posted by multiple people by December 1st as a trial/ practice match?

As far as frequency of the air rifle match do we want to try just once a month or twice a month to submit scores?

Posting score format I like what point focus has proposed in post # 11 of this thread.

I'm good with .177 cal and .22 cal all shooting in the same match and same target. Let's just have some fun and keep improving.
Shootsatsky,

I was determined to finish my setup for the winter. Didn't realize the wind was going to be that bad. There was a tractor trailer turn over on I70 several miles from from me. I am shooting indoor/outdoor from inside a 20X20 cabin thru a small window then 27 feet to my target mounted on a fixture attached to a sawhorse. My backstop is a dirt bank about 50 yards behind. (I live out in the woods/hills on acreage.) So I shot when the wind thru the trees stopped howling. I missed one gust.

My score was 62/100 with my old Daisy 953 with a aperture sight. Don't know the number of the insert in the globe front site but it just about right for this target/distance. About 30% white showing when the bull is centered. I'll post it if any one is interested.

Post your sample/example by December 1. Sounds good to me. Count me in Looking forward to seeing your post.

Gil
Pointfocus
P.M.O.E.

Last edited by pointfocus; 11-25-2014 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Score addition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2014, 12:07 AM
pointfocus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldblades View Post
Dont know if this has been mentioned before. For those of us using .177 on the A17, it can be scored by using a .22 plug in the .177 holes. That keeps everything on a single target (for both calibers) and follows the KISS that David mentions.

Best deal I know of on plugs is here at 6.00 delivered: Might need to call Susan and tell her what caliber
http://hughesprecision.com/HPP020620...R_targets.html

The .25 caliber guys are just plain cheating though.
That is an excellent idea. KISS.

Best wishes,
Gil
Pointfocus
P.M.O.E.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:17 AM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
# of targets to post each month etc.

I had a friend write me and ask how many target results could be posted each month. I told him I would post my thoughts here for consideration.

I want everyone to post all that they shoot, the good, the bad and the ugly. And the best posted each month will be their "record" and by doing this, I hope it will encourage participation. With the ugly scores being posted, it will allow others to do likewise and not feel intimidated. We are all human here and for many of us, shooting from the standing position is shaky. And progress can be slow. And for some of us, maybe me included, we may have reached our highest level, and it is still not good. But by keeping at it, we can at least keep our skills from deteriorating. We are shooting against ourselves. Maybe someone with statistic skills can track the member's progress over time and in a year or so, report individual improvement. I encourage each of us to try and keep track of our own scores and what seems to work best, and comment on it from time to time.

So regardless of what you use and what you shoot, join in and have fun.

For the purest who can correctly argue a .22 hole makes for better scores than a .177 hole, and that a scoped $3,500 precision air rifle will be more accurate than a Daisy Avanti, accept it as just part of this game. And if we focus (pun intended) on our own improvement, both the expensive gun shooter and the entry gun shooter will have the same challenge of improving how they do.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:55 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
.50 cal. air rifles anyone ?

A .50 pellet centered in the middle of the 7 ring would score a 10.

To hunt deer and other large animals or humanly one shot one kill small-medium sized game and pests most people think you need to buy a traditional hunting rifle. However, traditional hunting rifles are loud and require licensing and registration to legally buy and carry. High powered adult airguns however, are extremely quiet and in the US do not requiring any licensing or registration. Hunting large animals such as deer humanly and from a distance with an airgun can be done, but you need a high powered pellet rifle with enough foot pounds of energy. Foot pounds of energy is created by the weight, velocity of a pellet and the barrel length. Cheap airguns and even most high powered adult air rifles for sale do not pack enough punch to hunt deer and other larger animals. This is because their pellets do not have enough weight or enough velocity. This is the reason why 50 caliber pellet rifles are the best air guns for hunting deer and other large animals and can be used for home security.

50 cal air rifles are the most powerful and biggest caliber air rifles you can buy. The best 50 caliber air rifles for sale can fire pellets as fast 679 feet per second! The increase in weight of the large 50 cal pellets and amazing speed creates serious amounts of energy. A 225-grain pellet traveling at 679 feet per second creates 230 foot pounds of energy! With that amount of energy you can hunt deer, feral pigs as well easily dispatch pests and small medium sized game with human one shot kills. People have reported taking down deer from distances of up to 150 yards using the best 50 cal air rifles! Like any other airgun for sale the best high powered 50 cal pellet rifles do not require any licensing or registration here in the US and make about the same amount of noise as a suppressed 22 caliber firearm, but unlike cheap air guns they are no joke and are certainly not a toy. If you are looking to buy a fun airgun for your kid the best most high power 50 caliber pellet rifles are not the gun for you. These are serious rifles made for adults and responsible teen hunters.

At my high powered airguns store you can buy the best 50 cal pellet rifles for sale at the best prices with fast free shipping. I offer only the best most powerful 50 caliber adult air rifles from top manufactures. The best 50 cal air rifles powerful enough to hunt deer and other large animals and humanly take down pest and small-medium sized game with one shot kills are never cheap. However, being an online based adult airguns store I do not have many of the expensive operating costs of traditional stores. These savings are passed directly to you allowing you to buy the best most high powered 50 caliber air rifles at relatively cheap online sales prices with free ground shipping. If you have any questions about any of the 50 cal adult pellet rifles I have for sale please let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. I am extremely knowledgeable about these extremely high powered big bore 50 caliber pellet rifles and have a real passion for them and my customers.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:00 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's going to need a little better trap than my Do All

I was looking at the difference in scoring between a .177 and a .22 pellet, and on mine below, the 'good' target would have scored 2 points higher, the 'other' one would have been only 1 point higher. Might matter in a competition, but not 'for fun'.

Thought I'd post a pic of my setup, takes about five minutes to get it in place. Had to use a moving blanket instead of the old rug, since I left that out in the rain yesterday. The stool raises the target up to just about the right height for standing.

And then a couple of targets, hopefully I'll get time to shoot again, this was between conference calls this morning.

First, to show why you should use a backer, 'specially if you use targets printed on regular paper. The tears and flaps instead of holes are from the light paper moving when hit.
Also notice the top right sighter is within a half inch of being out of the trap, and the two low targets are almost in the richochet zone at the bottom (caught myself leaning forward instead of settling back.)

Marked up, not worth adding up. Really hard to measure some of the hits.

Now, the same PDF printed on better (cheap) Vellum paper with a backer.

Much easier to measure, still barely worth adding up to a 62.

That backer was just a piece of thin cardboard cut from a cereal type box. Nothing at all fancy, but it keeps the paper from moving and tearing when the pellet hits.

Bob
Old 11-25-2014, 03:16 PM
pointfocus

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=
That backer was just a piece of thin cardboard cut from a cereal type box. Nothing at all fancy, but it keeps the paper from moving and tearing when the pellet hits.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Bob,
Pizza box to a cereal box.
That looks just about right. I am very impressed. You have my vote for the "accidental discovery" award of the month.

Best wishes,
Gil

P.M.O.E.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:14 PM
ShootsAtSky

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My wife's a quilter. Pizza boxes (if clean) are reserved for quilt pieces, they just fit the raw material sizes for a quilt square.

Bob
Old 11-25-2014, 05:26 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Target holder & backstop

The targets we will be using for the air gun on line match measures 10.5" x 12" and I am going to see what I can make up for a convenient combo target holder and pellet back stop. Convenient means easy to set up, tear down and transport. Right now I am thinking about a frame a bit larger than the target onto which cardboard would be attached and the target taped to that. The frame made up out of 1x6 pine boards and backed with plywood. Into that a cut out piece of that ridged blue insulation to absorb the pellet and prevent bounce back. The rig could be set up on a chair or table.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Oldblades
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
How about using old truck floor mats? They would be about the right size cut in half, maybe rubber backed, carpet faced, and certainly more durable than carpet alone. Might be able to just hang one loose inside the pine box to swing on impact.
Bigger auto salvage yards probably have lots of 'em.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:25 PM
artanmac
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot one target after dinner tonight. Hope yo get more shooting in over the holiday weekend. My nemesis at this time seems to be my follow through. Once I get better at that I'm sure my trigger pull or breathing will suffer. The quest in shooting better is never done, but is can be a very fun quest.
artanmac (Aaron)
Daisy 853
Peep sight
.177 cal
Rws diablo basic pellet
Offhand
Indoors/ basement
75/100
Old 11-26-2014, 12:38 AM
Scott J

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
David, I would suggest starting another thread for match results and leave this on for the ideas and "driveling"(taken shamelessly from TWH).

Scott
Old 11-26-2014, 07:30 AM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Starting a dedicated thread...

Hi Scott,

I think it is a good idea, but I have never done that and do not know how to do it. And before I ask about it, I think we should get into a month or two of posting scores right here to see what participation we will have. For one reason, people who have posted here are most likely on automatic notice of new postings. For another reason, the forum administrator may want to see enough participation over enough time to justify a dedicated listing.

I have some other things going on in my life right now that make demands on my time and energy, but in a few months will be past them and can devote a bit more time to this task. And I have friends willing to help me.

Anyone wanting to write me direct, please do so. [email protected]

Lastly, we will always have "drivel" but keep in mind, one persons important thoughts he or she needs to share will be unwanted by some. Let us be thankful for the company of friends and have tolerance for all contributions, be it brilliance or drivel.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:34 AM
rbertalotto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'M IN!

How about an age category.........My grandkids against your grandkids? 12 and under?

A great way to get kids into the shooting sports. I bought them a GAMO Little Cat 177 rifle last week. Put a $400 Leupold 1-4X on it as that is all I had in inventory in 1X scopes!

BTW, I might have missed it. Is there a scope and iron sight class in this match?

I need to find a source for the heavier paper so I can print the targets properly.

Should be fun during the winter months.