Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:53 AM
fieldsj66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Question somebody care to post the rules?

tried to research this a little and got barraged with all kinds of info.

for the .22 rimfire shoots

equipment restrictions per class? O/ T/ Tactical

ranges?

or just a link where i can read all this.

thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 AM
JonInWv

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The CMP publishes the rules, and the new rulebook comes out every? spring.

http://www.thecmp.org/Comm/Rimfire.pdf
Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 AM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Good luck with the Rimfire Sporter shooting fieldsj66. We shoot these matches at my club once a month year round and it's a lot of fun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 PM
fieldsj66

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
i've been wondering about equipment requirements and match protocol.

i love to try different things and i may pursue a match of this somewhere.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
The Rimfire Sporter Guide that was linked previously should cover just about everything you need to know but if anything's not clear or you have any questions just ask.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:27 PM
fieldsj66

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInWv View Post
The CMP publishes the rules, and the new rulebook comes out every? spring.

http://www.thecmp.org/Comm/Rimfire.pdf
that's what i was looking for!

i'm ready for some of that now.

now off to find me a shoot somewhere. i need to order some of those supplies and con the family into a practice round. lol
Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 PM
fieldsj66

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNolan View Post
The Rimfire Sporter Guide that was linked previously should cover just about everything you need to know but if anything's not clear or you have any questions just ask.
what do most people shoot for gun mfg and types?

it reads that its for all types of shooters and equipment (kinda grass roots deal), but...to score well and compete do you need to bring the best you've got? i may not know this accuracy requirement until i get some targets to shoot at. do winners bring out the A game guns like a coopers, annies, and expensive scopes etc.?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 PM
abrush

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The answer to that is yes, but I don't think you need to.

You need a decent barrel, but stock 10/22 is good enough.
You need an adjustable objective scope, but the Simmons is good enough.
You need a sling, but the GI web sling is good enough.
You will want a good trigger, but $40 worth of parts gets you there.

I shot my first gold, both right handed and left handed with a stock 10/22 carbine with a good scope.

Trying to catch the good guys, and knock off those last few points, have led to an Annie, a Kidd, and lots of home gunsmithing, to no avail whatever. Scores are related to how much offhand practice took place in the last week, and not much else (for me).

Have fun!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsj66 View Post

it reads that its for all types of shooters and equipment (kinda grass roots deal), but...to score well and compete do you need to bring the best you've got? i may not know this accuracy requirement until i get some targets to shoot at. do winners bring out the A game guns like a coopers, annies, and expensive scopes etc.?
As already mentioned the Ruger 10/22's in various levels of trim are popular. Keep in mind that you get a little bit less time in the rapid fire stages than the manually operated rifles. IMO, the fact that you don't have to break position to manually cycle the action more than makes up for having less time than the folks shooting manually operated rifles.

For the manually operated rifles the CZ bolt-action rifles are another popular choice. I shoot a CZ 452 American with pretty good success. This years T-Class winner at the National Match at Camp Perry was also using a CZ 452 American.

While there are a lot folks modding and tweaking their semi-autos to achieve better performance, the point of these matches is that you don't really need a lot of high dollar equipment to do well. What you do need is to be a well-rounded marksman to shoot well in the rapid and slow fire stages for all three positions. I'd suggest starting with a basic rifle of your choice along with a sling, shooting mat, etc and lots of practice. I can help you out with printable practice targets if necessary. When you get to shoot in an actual match don't worry about the other shooters scores. Do your best to shoot as well as you can and try to improve on your previous score at the next match. You'll be shooting medal level scores before you know it.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Fuzzy Limey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
CMP Rimfire Sporter ...

... James, as I said in my last PM ... just give me a call and come up to the cabin some weekend ... I have the targets, the range ... and can guide you on equipment ... ( even show you my past medals ) - lol !

You can play to your hearts desire ... !

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey
Old 07-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

IMO

IMO, not at all. As PWNolan mentions and from my own experience, all it really takes is much practice. If you peruse the National Match results of previous RS events, it will list the equipment used by the shooters. (Unfortunate that the CMP dropped that information this year.) Certainly the 10/22 shooters mod their guns to shoot better, but there are guns out there that can win the matches out of the box like the CZs. IMO, the CZs can shoot 600-60X with the proper ammo with no mods (at least the samples I've ever bought), it is up to the shooter to get it there. [The stock 10/22 can likely shoot 600 but not 60X, again from the samples I've had.] I also shoot a CZ 452 American for T-Class and the only thing I've done to it was install an adjustable sear to dial out the creep and sand out the barrel channel for more clearance. I'm confident that it would have shot the same if I didn't do those (but would be annoyed by the creepy trigger).

The Tactical-Class gun I shot with this year was a 10/22 with the only mods being replacing the OE barrel with a Whistlepig and working on the sear notch of the hammer to reduce the standard Ruger ~6 lb weight and eliminate the undercut sear notch creep. Everything else except the stock is original. (My other 10/22 Tactical used previously was nearly identical with the inclusion of a Volq trigger which I did not entirely like the shape of.) IMO, if you can deal with the 6 lb trigger, the only thing you really need to do with the 10/22 barreled action is work over or replace the barrel and ditch the barrel band. The gun should be able to shoot 60X with good ammo then.

Edit : Oh, also, one of those cheap ~$5-$6 plastic mag releases for the 10/22s.

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD
Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 PM
fieldsj66

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
thanks all!

any good stock setups and combinations that would allow a person to shoot 'O'
'T' and 'tactical' ? when you go to a match do they all shoot at the same time?

for example a ruger 10/22 deluxe for the action and stock and factory barrel with sights for the O and then scope for the T and then take out of wood stock and into some other stock for tactical?

will a factory barrel shoot 1/2" at 50? After all the 10 ring is two inches.

does the x count only matter in the case of a tie?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Magical
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
thanks all!

any good stock setups and combinations that would allow a person to shoot 'O'
'T' and 'tactical' ? when you go to a match do they all shoot at the same time?

for example a ruger 10/22 deluxe for the action and stock and factory barrel with sights for the O and then scope for the T and then take out of wood stock and into some other stock for tactical?

For the past Nationals, you could only shoot in two matches. I choose Open and T class.
One could use the same CZ to shoot in T class with a scope and then remove the scope and shoot in the Open class. The long barreled Ultra Lux would be too heavy but the Trainer will work just fine.
Yes all shoot at the same time. There were five relays this year with 125 firing points for each relay. All points were not filled in the last relay this year.
You could also use the same action in two stocks for different matches.
Yes a factory barrel can shoot 1/2 " at 50 .
Que can work a factory 10/22 barrel to be that accurate. He is a sponsor here.
Yes the X count is the tie breaker. The top Open sight winner was decided this year by the X count.
The ten ring is 1 3/4" and the X ring is 7/8". An 1/8 " can loose the match.

Get replacement center targets from the CMP store, B-19C and practice.
It is great fun and a good challenge.
As the Rimfire Sporter Guide says, it is a lot of fun but challenging too. No one has yet to shoot a perfect 600.
We hope to see you at a match in the near future.
Welcome to CMP and Rimfire Sporter.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

It is extremely rare that an unmodified factory 10/22 barrel will shoot 1/2" @ 50 yds. They will normally group 1 1/4" and larger at that distance, at least from the samples I have and have seen. This will be enough for the gun to consistantly shoot into the 10 ring, however, it may not be enough to do the same in the hands of someone new to position shooting. It will be a good start to get acquainted to the game, just focus on continually getting smaller groups as you practice more concentrating on getting Iinto the proper positions. Eventually, though, it will have to be worked on or replaced when you plateau and if you seek to climb up the roster.

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD
Old 07-31-2013, 05:25 PM
fieldsj66

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
thanks for all the info guys!! nothing like getting it straight from the sources.

what requirements constitute "tactical"? how does ar platform "look" differ from one outfit to another? i can see how the sr22 or the mossberg (?) or the s&W can be qualified. can a stock only be added to a rifle to make it tactical?