A dangerous encounter with a wounded buck. We finally win. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 AM
dhuze
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

On an island surrounded by land on 3 sides.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A dangerous encounter with a wounded buck. We finally win.

This isn't the way a hunt should go and it isn't a pretty story. It also goes to show how dangerous a wounded animal can be. We underestimated this. Luckily nobody was injured as it could have turned out very bad.

I went on a hunting trip in Colorado. On the first day of hunting season a friends 13 year old son, shot his first deer, a buck around 6:30am. It was a gut shot. His father and 2 of his friends tracked it for about 4 hours. They jumped it once and said his guts were hanging out. They finally had to give up and come back to camp. Me and my brother told them we would go look a little later if they showed us where to look. About noon time our friend said he would come look with us so we headed out. We went to where they had the last signs and I found some tracks going a different direction then they had looked. We followed them into a swamp and spread out a little. About 10 minutes into looking My friends son yelled “there it is”. Then they noticed he was still alive. My friends son and him moved a little closer and it got up so his father told him to shoot it anywhere. We needed to put it out of his misery. It was 7 hours after he shot it. His son shot and hit the rear quarter. The deer ran maybe 10 yards and fell back down. We moved closer, 5 yards and his son shot another arrow which went over its back so he tried again. That one hit the top of the deer’s back and the deer got ****ed. It jumped up and lowered its head. It ran straight at his father with his head down. Its antlers went right around his waist and he had to grab onto the deer. I dropped what I was carrying to help him. I jumped right onto its head from the side and we drove his head into the swamp. his friend also jumped on the deer afterwards and helped hold it down. The deer was still standing and pushing us around a bit. His mouth and nose were in water and we could see and hear his sucking in the water. My brother tried to push an arrow through the side of the deer, but it wouldn’t work. Then our finally got his knife out and tried to stick it through the side too, but it wouldn’t go in. we had been wrestling this deer for about 5 minutes now. We couldn’t let go or someone would have probably been hurt. Then my friend was trying to cut his throat. His knife was dull so he wasn’t having much luck. The 4th try it finally went through. We held on a while longer and the deer fell onto its side and was trying to kick at us. We had to hold legs and hold him down for a couple more minutes. Finally it stopped fighting us and we were able to get off it. It laid there for another few minutes not dying. Every time we though it stopped breathing it would start again. Finally it died. My friends sons first deer was a 5X4. We dragged it out about 1/2 mile and got it back to camp.

I also shot my deer. I shot a 2X2 with a decent sized body. We saw lots of 2X2's this year. I'd say out of 35 bucks we saw 25 2X2's. I shot mine mid week since time would be running out.

Wednesday afternoon another friend decided to go pick raspberries. He came back to camp and said he shot a really big buck on 325 just down from our camp. He said there was a fork horn with it. We went down to help him get it. It was big. It was a 5X7 with at least a 28” spread. We figure it will score around 180-200. I said 180 the taxidermist said 190-200.
After we found it my brother went down a ridge looking for the other one so I picked a different ridge. I had changed out of my hunting clothes and wasn't really going to hunt. I walked down it into the valley. When I got ¾ of the way down I stopped and looked around. I looked up the hill behind me and the fork horn was laying behind a downed tree watching me. I walked down to the end of the finger and looked back where the deer was. He was still looking at me so I kept walking away from him and around the finger to the other side. Once I was behind him I took off my shoes and snuck up where I thought he was. He was still there looking back up where I had originally come from. I snuck up on him to about 35 yards . I shot at him and my arrow went right under him (apparently it was more than 35 yards) and he jumped and looked at me. I started nocking another arrow and he turned around and looked up the hill again. He looked back up the ridge I had just come from and I shot again. The arrow went right beside him and hit a tree. He turned back to me and was broad side. I shot again and he dropped right where he was. I ran up and shot him again in the chest. I hit his heart and he died right there.

Here is a photo of the deer my friend shot with my bow in his antlers.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:11 AM
SleazyRider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is not hunting; that is a debauch.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:01 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Hmmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
That is not hunting; that is a debauch.
Hmmmmm... SleazyRider you a bowhunter??? Not sure how you mean that, but things happen. I would never want sometings like that to happen ,but they do sometimes. You do the best you can. You plan, you prepare, you practice, and you follow through to the best of your ability.

Dhuse, congrats all the way around, particularly to the young man who got his first deer AND on the tracking and recovery job!!!

Quote:
Then our finally got his knife out and tried to stick it through the side too, but it wouldn’t go in. we had been wrestling this deer for about 5 minutes now. We couldn’t let go or someone would have probably been hurt. Then my friend was trying to cut his throat. His knife was dull so he wasn’t having much luck.
Dhuse I teach bowhunter ed classes, and hunting with dull equipment is just plain wrong. Make sure you teach whoever had that dull knife how to properly sharpen a knife. A properly sharpened knife ought to be able to shave the hair on your forearm IMHO and that it what I tell the students in the class. Same applies to the blades in your broadhead. Hunting with dull equipment that CAN"T do the job shows a lack of respect for the animal you are hunting, and flirting with being accused of having poor ethics. Discretely get "Mr Dull Knife" aside and get that knife properly sharpened, and better yet make sure he knows how to do that himself!!!

Again, good job on the tracking and recovery of that new bowhunter's first deer.
God Bless, Frank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Holy crap!! I'm amazed that no one got hurt.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Thanks for sharing. It's a reminder that things don't always go well. Kudos for not giving up and declaring the deer "lost."

So, is everybody sharpening their knives for the next time out?
Old 09-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Raztus

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I've been fortunate enough to alway have clean kills with a rifle. I'm not sure I'd enjoy bow hunting. I enjoy shooting a bow, but I'm nowhere good enough to hunt with it.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Model60Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad nobody got hurt, but that kid definitely should NOT be bowhunting until he has the skills to get the job done. This is what gives hunters a bad name...
Old 09-17-2011, 04:01 PM
randymac

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Had a wounded bear charge me, man they can cover alot of ground in a hurry, pretty scary thing. killed him with second shot less then 15ft from me.

Randy
Old 09-17-2011, 04:12 PM
22 man

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model60Shooter View Post
Glad nobody got hurt, but that kid definitely should NOT be bowhunting until he has the skills to get the job done. This is what gives hunters a bad name...
Who in the hell do you think you are? So tell me how does this kid get experience if he does not go to the woods. How do you determine if he has enough experience? There is a big difference between shooting a paper target and a live animal. I have seen veteran hunters tank shots it happens. You sir are the type of person that give hunters bad names. You are running down a kids big day because his heart was beating like it was going to explode when he was aiming I know no other way of to get experience at hunting than to go do it.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:14 PM
JoeMal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
+1

A sidearm would have properly put down the wounded deer instead of allowing the kid another (poor) shot at the deer.

Glad nobody was hurt. Hit the range for some more practice
Old 09-17-2011, 04:26 PM
randymac

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMal View Post
+1

A sidearm would have properly put down the wounded deer instead of allowing the kid another (poor) shot at the deer.

Glad nobody was hurt. Hit the range for some more practice
Using a firearm for the fatal shot in bow season will get i guy in deep trouble.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:01 PM
JoeMal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randymac View Post
Using a firearm for the fatal shot in bow season will get i guy in deep trouble.
Misread the OP...thought it said gun shot but it said gut shot...my apologies.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:30 PM
SleazyRider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
Hmmmmm... SleazyRider you a bowhunter???
I yam.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:46 PM
dhuze

On an island surrounded by land on 3 sides.
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post

Dhuse I teach bowhunter ed classes, and hunting with dull equipment is just plain wrong. Make sure you teach whoever had that dull knife how to properly sharpen a knife. A properly sharpened knife ought to be able to shave the hair on your forearm IMHO and that it what I tell the students in the class. Same applies to the blades in your broadhead. Hunting with dull equipment that CAN"T do the job shows a lack of respect for the animal you are hunting, and flirting with being accused of having poor ethics. Discretely get "Mr Dull Knife" aside and get that knife properly sharpened, and better yet make sure he knows how to do that himself!!!

Again, good job on the tracking and recovery of that new bowhunter's first deer.
God Bless, Frank.

When we got to where they shot the deer he mentioned we would find it because he did not have his knife or a camera with him. We were only going in to try and locate it. "Mr Dull Knife" has very sharp knives. He just did not bring one with him. Neither did me, my brother, or his friend. We were just locating it, or so we thought.
There are two people in our camp who sharpen the knives. Me and my friend. We did not expect the deer to be alive after 7 hours. We also were not expecting him to charge us.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 PM
tfrank
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Smile Hmmm???

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
When we got to where they shot the deer he mentioned we would find it because he did not have his knife or a camera with him. We were only going in to try and locate it. "Mr Dull Knife" has very sharp knives. He just did not bring one with him. Neither did me, my brother, or his friend. We were just locating it, or so we thought.
There are two people in our camp who sharpen the knives. Me and my friend. We did not expect the deer to be alive after 7 hours. We also were not expecting him to charge us.
Hmmm??? So who ownes that dull knife??? Better track that puppy down and give it a proper sharpening!!!
I guess all I can say is to expect the unexpected Both hunting and life is like that!!!

Quote:
Model60 I see that 22man has already chimed in, and I have to say that I agree with him, BUT I probably wouldn't have worded it quite the way he did. I'll ask you the same question that I asked SleazyRider. Are you a bowhunter??? If you are AND you have 3 or 4 seasons of bowhunting behind you then you already know that things happen that go beyond your ability to control, but you do the absolute best you can. Yup as Dhuse said..."it wasn't pretty", but the young hunter had experienced hunters mentoring/guiding him AND the deer was recovered. I don't see a problem with what happened, and I am willing to bet that the young hunter will be beating himself up about his shooting, but hopefully will use the experience to motivate himself to practice more. But what none of us knows is how good of a shot this young hunter is??? For all we know he can shoot the center out of his target at 40 yards. Maybe the arrow hit something and the arrow was deflected. Maybe some brush got snaggled up in the string/cable/cams??? Etc... and so on!!!
Look at the young man's smile!!! He's done what a heck of a lot of men have not been able to do... bag a deer with a bow and arrow!!!
God Bless, Frank.