Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 AM
tobyking8773

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up "those 'Taffy' stocks can't shoot...."

I know, I know....hear it quite often 'round here.

But DON'T you believe it!

Three groups of 10 shots each, first group was on the right, second on the left and last in the middle. other holes in paper were from other sighters and barrel conditioning. 53 yards, very light variable breeze, bright & sunny late morning. Wolf MT. front and rear bags. pretty solid table.

It was late and I had to get ready for work so the "official" measurements will be coming later but the far right one is just under a 1/2"

cleaned the barrel w/ a bore-snake w/ Hoppes #9 on the first 2, followed by 3 more passes w/o. then 20 conditioners(I know, prolly not enough. BUT I intend to continue conditioning this barrel w/ JUST Wolf MT for a couple dozen more rounds & try again....)
Old 09-20-2009, 09:09 PM
JackFlesher
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice! (Or butt-ugly shooter depending on your point of view )

I just finished glass-bedding my latest build -- same barrel as yours, but with the comp -- in my 10-year old black Houge OM stock. I plan on shooting it Tuesday and will post some results. (Volq trigger, Kidd bolt and Weaver scope on mine.) Trying Wolf and Ely target. I'll be exstatic if it shoots as good as yours
Old 09-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Wolfen
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
tobyking8773

I bet you don't let the weather bother you about taking your Great Looking Rig out in any kind of weather
you feel like going in.

I haven't even shot mine yet. Bought it late this Spring and new I'd be converting, fixing changing or just
messing it up, so I decided not to shoot it until I finished messing with it. Well almost finished. I didn't / don't
want to take a chance of messing up its Laminated International stock, so I started there first with a Close-Out
Sale Hogue for $35. Got most everything else done except for a wood stock. Ordered one and plan on making
2-4 more. I plan on painting the ones I build. Except for the Walnut stock I bought on eBay when I thought it
was Birch. It's not real figured , but is walnut and I was able to get out about 99.5% of the dents and scratches.
I'm in the process of putting a Tung Oil finish on it. Should be finished in about a month.

I like your RIG. Enjoy It.

Wolfen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 11:29 PM
tobyking8773

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Thank you kindly...

...all compliments and constructive criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Wolfen -You are correct, this is my all-weather "carry gun" for scouting trips, leisurely hikes, plinking and what-not. My only wish is that I could 'legally' use it for hunting(PaGC is bassackwards retarded in hunting regs-another topic altogether tho ) But taking little walks around the house/property w/ my Siamese cat in tow(actually, he usually leads), we have had plenty of opportunity to see what it can do if the chance ever arises. Needless to say, the chippy population is getting LOW right now

I also have to say, those last two groups are the result of total impatience to see/measure the first group
I'm gonna play hookie from work Mon. night and go to camp in the morning to scout and shoot some more....we'll see what improvements can be made from shooting technique and what-not

Oh yeah, someone posted on RFC last week about "Wolf ammo stinks". Well I figured out what it smells like -modeling cement/epoxy. The REALLY good stuff that is like crazy glue. Fond memories of THAT stuff burnt forever into my olfactory sense database lol

Last edited by tobyking8773; 09-21-2009 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:37 PM
usmcchet9296
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via AIM to usmcchet9296 Send a message via MSN to usmcchet9296 Send a message via Yahoo to usmcchet9296
This is a rifle I am building for my 11 year old. Its a stock ruger with a houge stock, Tacsol barrel, rear techsight and a front Nospud sight. I still have to work the trigger because it sucks but I wanted a rifle that he could learn proper iron sighting and can use at Appleseed events.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:44 PM
docholiday1970
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchet9296 View Post

That is an awesome looking rifle!!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 PM
hiattj03

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been drooling over this thread for the past week or two. Gonna build my own soon, hopefully. Seen a few pics of groups. What kind of groups are the rest of you getting out of these guns?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:42 AM
tobyking8773

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

uhh....post #136, right at the top of this page....
Old 12-05-2009, 11:23 AM
bambam1723

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Just finished it this week....

Still waiting on a new trigger but it's pretty much done.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Twinsen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Twinsen
Quote:
This is a rifle I am building for my 11 year old. Its a stock ruger with a houge stock, Tacsol barrel, rear techsight and a front Nospud sight. I still have to work the trigger because it sucks but I wanted a rifle that he could learn proper iron sighting and can use at Appleseed events.

AWESOME. Maybe go leather sling though, right?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Wolfen
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
JackFlesher

Sorry for not responding to this earlier. I just forgot. Another Sr. Moment.

"Now to the bolt looseness. In the stock action, the bolt is loose -- we all know that. But I have heard this allows a trued bolt-face to move (wobble) enough seat itself fully against an equally true breech face -- a condition desirable for accuracy in rimfire rounds that head-space off the rim. When you shim the bolt to tighten it, how do you insure the bolt is seating in alignment with the breech face since it has no locking lugs?"

Well sir, I don't really know how to answer that. I guess I'll have to say that I can't insure the bolt and breech face are in alignment.

I suspect that there is enough variance in the production run to offset most gains attributed to the effect of "wobble". After all, most bolt faces - heads pace - are from .002 to .007 to deep which is why a lot of us send our bolts to Gun Smiths to have the face ground to proper depth.

However, I am of the culture of repeatability. I at least have a little more confidence with a tighter functional tolerance than the "wobble" effect to bring my system into its best battery.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Emilia

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is my Hogue rifle!! Only thing missing is the custom trigger and the SWR Spectre for the end of it...

Old 12-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Punisher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ordered all my parts and had a really fun build party this weekend.

Here's what was done:

Brand New blued 10/22 (plastic trigger)
Green Mountain 16" Stainless Fluted
Hogue Stock
Intensity 3.8-12x44mm AO scope
UTG Picatinny rail
Accushot? Weaver Style Medium Rings (From Sportsman Guide)
Cabelas Sling

Chamfered Bolt
Bolt Buffer
Auto Bolt Release
Filed & Polished Hammer (2.5lb pull)
JB Weld Disconnector/Sear - reduced creep
Diamond Polished: Bolt, Sear, Disconnector, Hammer, Spring, etc, etc...

Another View. I didn't think I'd like a stainless barrel on a black receiver, but the polished bolt really complements the barrel.
I considered stripping and polishing the receiver, but I don't want to do anything else aesthetically. It looks bad in person.

It does not like Federal Bulk ammo whatsoever. Remington was okay, but CCI was by far superior.
Why do I never own guns that like shooting cheap ammo?
Target was at 50 yards, 5 rounds in upper target and 10 rounds in the middle and 10 rounds in the bottom target. I like it.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:37 PM
docholiday1970
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Ordered all my parts and had a really fun build party this weekend.

Here's what was done:

Brand New blued 10/22 (plastic trigger)
Green Mountain 16" Stainless Fluted
Hogue Stock
Intensity 3.8-12x44mm AO scope
UTG Picatinny rail
Accushot? Weaver Style Medium Rings (From Sportsman Guide)
Cabelas Sling

Chamfered Bolt
Bolt Buffer
Auto Bolt Release
Filed & Polished Hammer (2.5lb pull)
JB Weld Disconnector/Sear - reduced creep
Diamond Polished: Bolt, Sear, Disconnector, Hammer, Spring, etc, etc...

I LOVE it!! Really nice build!!
Old 12-30-2009, 09:55 AM
FishingFool

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Who makes that front site? I really like the way it looks and would definately get one of those.