Barrel replacement on MKII - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-28-2008, 05:16 PM
110FLPshooter
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Barrel replacement on MKII

Well I did it, took out the pin, an air hammer and socket and the barrel came right out. Too my surprise, the diameter is the same as the 10/22. Green Mountain barrel here I come. I will need to thin the diameter about 1/4" forward where it slides into the receiver and cut a notch for the cartridge guide. Will post pics of rifle and targets when finished.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:26 PM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
instead of chopping it, why don't you see if you can get a spacer for it, like when we put 77/22 barrels on our 10/22. unless of course the extractor does not line up.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:34 PM
110FLPshooter
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyFan View Post
instead of chopping it, why don't you see if you can get a spacer for it, like when we put 77/22 barrels on our 10/22. unless of course the extractor does not line up.
ShelbyFan
I know absolutely nothing about the 77/22 and I've been trying to find info on the net and not finding what I need. Is the tenon section of the bbl that goes into the receiver longer on the 77/22 than the 10/22, if so do you know the specs? The tenon needs to slide into the Savage receiver 1.25" to mate with the bolt. I will need to cut a groove 180deg. opposite the extractor for the Savage bolt's cartridge guide.
Thanks

Last edited by 110FLPshooter; 09-28-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 11:09 PM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
AAAAHHHHH, HEADACHE, to much math.

Yes, the 77/xx is longer than the 10/22, by, I would guess about 3/16, so R/T sells spacer kits, R/T spacer kit, so if you could find the exact dimensions of the 10/22 barrel vs. your savage barrel you might be able to make a kit for it. However, I think your way might produce better results and you can get a tighter, custom chamber.

Out of curiosity will the vblock hold down be a problem?

this seems like a cool idea and have thought of it myself.

You also might consider having your Savage barrel accurized, Savage uses the same barrels as the Anschutz and they are as good if not better than the GM barrels. Unless of course you have the pencil barrel then what I said means nothing.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:32 AM
ipscjody

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
".....Savage uses the same barrels as the Anschutz........."
Really? I never heard that before. By this do you mean they will accept the same barrells, or the savage barrells are the same ones that they use? I know I can attest to accuracy, my Mako shoots excellent
Old 09-29-2008, 09:15 PM
ShelbyFan

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I believe they use the same blanks. Whether or not they are the same exact barrels I would say probably not as Anschutz puts a much higher standard and specs on their rifles. I was at one time trying to find out it a Annie barrel was a direct bolt on to the Savage, cut that would rock.
Savage and Anschutz have a long history, Annie even stole the magazine design and use it on their current rifles
Old 10-11-2008, 01:57 AM
David E.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is this what you are trying to do? Fluted 10/22 barrel fitted to lefty Savage.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:30 AM
TonyA

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
Something along those lines, yes. That looks good! How difficult to get the barrel out and what did you have to do to fit the new one?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 10-11-2008, 02:54 AM
David E.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyA View Post
Something along those lines, yes. That looks good! How difficult to get the barrel out and what did you have to do to fit the new one?

Thanks,
Tony
Had to buy my machinist buddy several adult beverages when we finished!

Barrel removal was fairly easy. Knocked out the pin holding the barrel and using a wooden dowel and a BFH (big f'ing hammer) drove the original barrel out from the breech end. It was a tight slip fit. Not a press fit. I no longer have my notes, but we moved the shoulder forward, and reduced the shank diameter very slightly on the replacement 10/22 barrel. You need to cut or file another notch in the breech end of the 10/22 barrel for the extractors in the bolt. 77/22 barrels would work better. It went right together with some Locktite for bearing mounting. Need to check your headspace if you do this. Still haven't been to the range to see how it shoots, but it seems to function OK so far.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:21 AM
TonyA

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
Thanks David. Doesn't sound too difficult and I could get the needed dimensions from the barrel I remove. My machinist buddy will probably go for a couple adult beverages too.

And if I can just sell enough junk between now and Christmas to get the rifle it looks like next year will be a lot of fun.

Tony
Old 10-11-2008, 05:15 PM
Ron AKA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyFan View Post
I believe they use the same blanks. Whether or not they are the same exact barrels I would say probably not as Anschutz puts a much higher standard and specs on their rifles. I was at one time trying to find out it a Annie barrel was a direct bolt on to the Savage, cut that would rock.
Savage and Anschutz have a long history, Annie even stole the magazine design and use it on their current rifles
My understanding was that the old Savage rimfires (sometime prior to 1994 or so) were made by Anschutz and Savage just put their name on them. This is similar to what Weatherby does now with the XXII model. However in 1994 or so, Savage bought the Canadian company called Lakefield Arms located in Lake Field, Ontario, Canada. I believe the current gun and barrels are made in Canada in the old Lakefield factory. The stocks at least on some models may come from the US. About the only part that Savage has influenced is the trigger. They came up with an Accutrigger version which is based on but not the same as the Accutrigger in the Savage centerfire.

I could be wrong on this, but this is what I pieced together a while back. Apparantly there are still aftermarket (Brownells?) magazines sold for the Savage rimfires that fit the Anschutz (and are much lower in cost). However I can tell you from first had experience the Anschutz and modern Savage (Lakefield) magazines are not interchangeable.

Ron
Old 10-12-2008, 02:32 AM
Txhillbilly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. View Post
Is this what you are trying to do? Fluted 10/22 barrel fitted to lefty Savage.

David E., That is just too neat. I have a 93GL that I would love too put a TacSol barrel on. If it is not much trouble could you tell me what all was involved with that conversion. I have access to a friends shop and would like to convert my 93 like that. THB
Old 10-12-2008, 05:59 PM
Brandon H.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 110FLPshooter View Post
Well I did it, took out the pin, an air hammer and socket and the barrel came right out. Too my surprise, the diameter is the same as the 10/22. Green Mountain barrel here I come. I will need to thin the diameter about 1/4" forward where it slides into the receiver and cut a notch for the cartridge guide. Will post pics of rifle and targets when finished.
Please keep us updated...I really want to see what it takes to do this.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:11 PM
David E.

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
David E., That is just too neat. I have a 93GL that I would love too put a TacSol barrel on. If it is not much trouble could you tell me what all was involved with that conversion. I have access to a friends shop and would like to convert my 93 like that. THB
Refer to post number 10. That pretty much tells what I had to go through. I no longer have my notes so I can't tell you specific measurements.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:03 AM
larryx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dave

I don't any thing about the Ruger barrels.
You said the 77/22 barrels would fit better.
Could you explain.

Larry