Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 PM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Are the Yo Dave trigger kits not good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2018, 03:26 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Hey Jet, you can do it! You may need only a screwdriver and a small wrench (or pliers), or you may also need a pin punch, a small hammer, and a spring to replace the one currently in your rifle, depending on how light you want the trigger to be. A "pin punch" is a hardened steel rod used to push out pins, with a squared end to handle being hammered on. They come in different diameters. I think a perfect fit would be 3/32" or, to be sure it will fit, one that is 1/16" diameter. I used a nail to do the job, but I wouldn't do it again. You can get the punch and spring at your local hardware store.

Step 1 -- take the stock off the rifle. To avoid marring up the screw slots, use a "proper" screw driver to do this. That means one with a hollow ground blade instead of the tapered blade found on normal screwdrivers.

When you get the rifle out, you'll find the trigger's inner workings:

Step 2 - use a small screwdriver to lift the lock washer away from the adjusting nut on the trigger spring. That frees the nut so that you can use a small wrench (as I recall, it is 6mm) or a pair of pliers to turn the adjusting nut so that it moves down towards the trigger. Getting the nut all the way to the bottom of that rod gives you the lightest possible trigger pull with the spring currently installed in the rifle. Here is a close up of the spring and nut:

Step 3 - try the trigger to see if you are happy with it. You may want to put the stock back on to give it a proper try.

Step 4 - If the trigger is not light enough, you can go a little bit further by removing the adjusting nut. That gives the spring a little more room to stretch out. To get the nut off, you first have to remove one of the pins from the trigger. In this pic, it is the pin at the top of the trigger, furthest to the left:

Use your pin punch and hammer to get that pin out. It will be a bit hard to get started but once it starts moving it should come out fairly easily. Put the rifle on a padded but solid surface (a towel on top of your work table) and support the trigger on something so you don't accidently bend it while hammering away. Something about the thickness of a deck of cards should do the trick in supporting the trigger. Once the pin starts moving you need to make sure it has room to get free on the back side. I just put it on my lap at that point.

Step 5 - With the pin removed, you can pivot the trigger down and forward, allowing you to remove the adjusting rod from the hole where it goes up into the action. Slide the spring off the rod, then remove the washer and nut. Put the washer and nut away someplace safe in case you decide to reinstall them later. Now put the spring back on and reassemble everything. There should still be some spring tension holding the trigger against the sear; if not, the trigger isn't safe and could fire with a bump of the rifle. So, if removing the nut doesn't leave you with spring tension between trigger and sear, put the nut back on there.

Step 6 - Try your trigger again. If still not happy with it, the next step is to replace the spring with a weaker one. Take it back apart (as in step 4), put the nut and washer back on, then put on your lighter spring and reassemble everything. If you find the new spring makes the trigger pull too light just turn the adjusting nut so it climbs away from the trigger and compresses the spring... that makes the pull harder.

That's it!

The kit everyone talks about is a set of 4 springs of various strengths, along with 4 tubes that go over one of the pins in the trigger to take up creep. It's not the pin we knocked out (above) but the other shiney one just to the right of it. For more info on that, see the ... EDIT to add later version of the tutorial.... excellent tutorial OKSHooter put together here:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=330293

update bump
Old 07-25-2018, 09:09 AM
Appalachained

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
As mentioned here in the past, this thread just keeps coming back, so here it is again. I have checked with every Ace Hardware in my area and can find no information on a #144 spring. The one guy that even tried to look for a number said his stopped at #155. So does any one have a suggestion, a diameter and length of where to start, or maybe a spare one laying around somewhere?
I found a bunch of #144 springs when I visited a newly opened store while visiting relatives. I bought Eight of them for 79 cents a piece. PM me your address and I’ll send you one.

Last edited by Appalachained; 07-25-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2018, 09:26 AM
Taterchip

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just thought I would mention that the 144 spring does not fit into the pocket hole like the factory spring, but don't worry about that. Also trim the first turn and a half off the spring and that should put you in the 10-12 ounce to 16 ounce range. Also you can trim the spring in place with a good pair of electricians dykes
Old 06-04-2019, 11:12 AM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
As has been said many times, it isn't all that hard. I did it with my 452. The YoDave kit is a goodness!

IMNHO,, too many RFC aficianados want a trigger pull that is TOO LIGHT! The stock trigger on the 452-455 can be adjusted light enough for any reasonable purpose, and remain completely SAFE! Benchrest shooters are in a whole world of their own, but their friends know and like them!

My personal opinion is that 2.5-3 lbs. is sufficient for 99.765% of us. But of course, that is until The True Spirit of Never Leaving Well Enough Alone strikes!
Leastways, that is what the Mrs says, although I am not sure I understand what she is referring to...

To reluctantly illustrate her point, last year, in a little town on the North Shore of Oahu, I spotted an ACE Hardware, went in, and bought not one, but TWO 2 # 144 springs... Just in case, you understand! Now all I have to do is find where I put them!

My 455's 2 3/4 lb trigger does me proud...I just can't shoot it very well...my fault, being 80, not the gun's.

It seems the wibbles and wobbles have increased significantly since 65!

Last edited by C.C.; 06-04-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:19 PM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since you resurrected a good How-To thread

Since I had two back surgeries since April, I am as shaky as any 80 year old, CC. But that's no reason you can't have a better trigger. You can get used to shooting with a lighter trigger pull and it will improve your shooting. Just make sure to do thorough bump testing after you install and adjust that ACE 144 spring.

I'm very shaky now, but I'm not unsafe in any way with my triggers adjusted lighter than your 2.75 lb that you have now. I have found that a trigger pull a bit lighter than that has improved my squirrel shooting in the last few years. Fear not, just make it safe and then enjoy better shooting.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:11 AM
Gabby-Bill
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSwede View Post
http://cz452.com/springkit.html

Go here, read, absorb, come back and ask more questions. I'm sure you can do it. I'll loan you the fixtures if you don't want or need to buy them. Easy job, if you have half an hour with no distractions. Take a deep breath. Go for it.

OS
Link is no longer good, made my AV nervous too!

BTW I suggest any of you who expect to be "Hammering" on your fine firearms PUT DOWN that HAMMER, and go to NAPA and buy a machinist's PLASTIC MALLET, that way you won't mar that fine finish or beat it out of shape. The plastic will deliver a blow without damaging things, and a small one is all you will need. If you need a bigger hammer take it to a gun smith! Before you break something!!!!!

I think threads such as this one continue is because of the subject matter, and there are new people coming along that have bought a new or used CZ and want to get the most out of it. That's how I found it, I finally was able to get a CZ, after all these years.
Gabby

Last edited by Gabby-Bill; 06-09-2019 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:53 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
As has been said many times, it isn't all that hard. I did it with my 452. The YoDave kit is a goodness!

IMNHO,, too many RFC aficianados want a trigger pull that is TOO LIGHT! The stock trigger on the 452-455 can be adjusted light enough for any reasonable purpose, and remain completely SAFE! Benchrest shooters are in a whole world of their own, but their friends know and like them!

My personal opinion is that 2.5-3 lbs. is sufficient for 99.765% of us. But of course, that is until The True Spirit of Never Leaving Well Enough Alone strikes!
Leastways, that is what the Mrs says, although I am not sure I understand what she is referring to...

To reluctantly illustrate her point, last year, in a little town on the North Shore of Oahu, I spotted an ACE Hardware, went in, and bought not one, but TWO 2 # 144 springs... Just in case, you understand! Now all I have to do is find where I put them!

My 455's 2 3/4 lb trigger does me proud...I just can't shoot it very well...my fault, being 80, not the gun's.

It seems the wibbles and wobbles have increased significantly since 65!
I think you raise some good points. With age we typically start to have nerve problems and lose some feeling in our fingers. When that happens you will probably find that wonderful, super-light trigger you loved for years has become problematic.

But until and unless something like that happens, it is not a matter of what is "sufficient." A 5 lb. trigger is "sufficient." It is a matter of personal preference. I spend many, many hours shooting every month, usually every week. I can shoot a heavy (3 lbs and up) trigger accurately, but it is a lot more work to. I find that about 1 lb. is optimum for me. I can achieve that with 452/5 triggers simply by shortening the spring. Yes, the pull is a little mushy but I couldn't care less -- they break precisely when I want them to, and that is what matters to me.

But then I never walk around with a cartridge in the chamber, even when deer hunting on Kodiak Island. I'm not going to trust any rifle to not go off if it is dropped, or the safety gets accidentally pushed off, etc.