Buckmark trigger upgrades - current options? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-07-2019, 12:52 PM
idiggplants

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Buckmark trigger upgrades - current options?

It seems like all the stickies, and all the posts i can find in my searches all refer to products that have been discontinued. no more vq hammer. trigger shoe replacements seem hard to find.

im personally not interested in doing the haggis flip. will be removing the mag disconnect, but dont expect much from that.

this is a utility/varmint gun... im actually ok with the factory pull weight, but if i can drop it down a little bit, affordably... i would. it will be a gun that basically gets thrown in my go bag when i go to the cabin for porcupine control, and maybe the occasional rabbit or squirrel for a surprise novelty dinner.

more important is the trigger shoe itself. from what i can see out there, the only one i can find is TD. not a huge fan of that one as it takes up too much room in the trigger guard for a gloved shooter.

volquartsen seems to no longer make a thing for the buckmark. surprising because they seem to be super popular at the prices they are going for these days.

the homebrew and professional gunsmith triggers... no clue where to source those.

browning no longer makes the adjustable trigger from what i can tell. christ... i asked them about replacement grips and they said they do not offer them because "removing the grips is not something a customer should do." l.o.l.

so yeah... any recommendations would be great. cheaper the better, and more room in the trigger guard for a gloved finger, the better.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:19 PM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a basic Buckmark about a year ago and it is one of my favorite pistols. I did think about improving the trigger before I bought it having read many folks talk about it. Once I had the gun, I really saw no reason to mess with the trigger. With use, it has gotten much smoother and the broad trigger face renders the need for a trigger shoe moot. I did not like the thin original grips as my hands are on the big side. What I bought was a set of Altamont Ultima Panel Super Rosewood Checkered Engraved Grips. They were a huge improvement in the handling of the pistol for me. I would suggest you wait to shoot at least a brick of ammo be fore you decide to alter the trigger. If you still want to lighten the trigger after that, I would probably use a gunsmith to polish the internals before I would change parts.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:38 PM
idiggplants

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
I bought a basic Buckmark about a year ago and it is one of my favorite pistols. I did think about improving the trigger before I bought it having read many folks talk about it. Once I had the gun, I really saw no reason to mess with the trigger. With use, it has gotten much smoother and the broad trigger face renders the need for a trigger shoe moot. I did not like the thin original grips as my hands are on the big side. What I bought was a set of Altamont Ultima Panel Super Rosewood Checkered Engraved Grips. They were a huge improvement in the handling of the pistol for me. I would suggest you wait to shoot at least a brick of ammo be fore you decide to alter the trigger. If you still want to lighten the trigger after that, I would probably use a gunsmith to polish the internals before I would change parts.
thanks for the reply. already got some cocobolo grips on it... a tac sol pic rail with integrated iron sights, and a vortex venom. paid $180 for it, and ive already doubled that with accessories, lol.

https://i.imgur.com/1Bqe4Pn.jpg

the original gray and black grips had to go. gun looks so much better now, but im still waiting for the checkered altamont rosewoods to be in stock, and the cocobolos i got will be given to my dad for his stainless camper. not enough texture on these if im wearing the wrong type of gloves.

it was my dad's pistol so it already has a bunch of rounds through it. i dont hate the trigger, but i would like to get rid of the overtravel, and i wouldn't mind it a hair lighter. but like i said... overtravel is my #1 concern right now.

Last edited by idiggplants; 11-08-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2019, 02:40 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, let me start by saying that the Heggis Flip does still work. I just did one on a 2019 Buckmark Contour a couple weeks ago.

If you want to make the trigger pull better and a little lighter (with or without the flip), I would recommend smoothing the back of the disconnector (where it rubs the frame), the bottom of the sear, and the top-facing surface of the hammer hook with a stone. Also straighten and remove any burrs on the edges where the hammer and sear let off. (Here's a picture of how the sear and hammer fit together when the hammer is cocked. )

If those edges are even a little crooked (and they often, but not always, are), straightening those edges on the hammer and sear with a stone, even by eyeballing it (without the power custom jig or similar), will noticeably improve the crispness of the trigger let-off.

Another thing you can do, without flipping the sear spring, is to bend the sear spring legs a little with a pair of pliers. The goal is to reduce the amount of spring "pre-load" (how much the spring is compressed in it's "starting" position, before you start pulling the trigger back). The stock configuration has that spring pre-loaded with significant tension; you absolutely need some tension there, but putting less than the stock amount will reduce the trigger pull weight. You could just straighten the rear leg tip to help a little (from the factory, current ones have the rear leg tip bent up, which increases the pre-load). Or bend the rear leg down even more to lighten it further. Make sure you do the "flick" test to ensure that you didn't go too light, though. And make double, extra sure that the front leg of the sear spring is centered in the v-shaped notch in the bottom of the sear; not getting that front leg in place is the mistake that causes most flip failures (and more than a few reassembly failures).

As for overtravel, if you have a 5-40 tap, a tap wrench, and a set screw, installing an overtravel stop screw in the trigger is simple and straightforward (and it'll only cost you $20 in tools and parts if you don't already have them).

Dave

P.S. On the last few new Buckmarks I've opened up, the magazine disconnector safety has not been dragging badly on the disconnector. On the one I worked on a couple weeks ago, I left it in place with no alterations, and the smoothing + spring flip resulted in a 2 1/2 lbs trigger pull. When they were first added (around model year 2005) and for several years afterwards, it could result in a noticeable trigger improvement to remove or alter the magazine disconnector safety wire. Now? Between the cutout in the top of the disconnector, and the hook in the wire being opened up more in the ones I've seen... not so much. It's worth checking to see if it's dragging, of course, but removing it is not an automatic recommendation for me anymore.

Last edited by rdas; 11-07-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:49 PM
RMoran
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Doesn't Tandemkross now have a spring replacement..the gear box or something?

I got lucky and found a VQ trigger and hammer...keep searching Ebay and GBer

I just sent mine to Dave Sams and told him what I wanted....he ain't cheap but the trigger job is nice.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:59 PM
idiggplants

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post

As for overtravel, if you have a 5-40 tap, a tap wrench, and a set screw, installing an overtravel stop screw in the trigger is simple and straightforward (and it'll only cost you $20 in tools and parts if you don't already have them).

Dave

P.S. On the last few new Buckmarks I've opened up, the magazine disconnector safety has not been dragging badly on the disconnector. On the one I worked on a couple weeks ago, I left it in place with no alterations, and the smoothing + spring flip resulted in a 2 1/2 lbs trigger pull. When they were first added (around model year 2005) and for several years afterwards, it could result in a noticeable trigger improvement to remove or alter the magazine disconnector safety wire. Now? Between the cutout in the top of the disconnector, and the hook in the wire being opened up more in the ones I've seen... not so much. It's worth checking to see if it's dragging, of course, but removing it is not an automatic recommendation for me anymore.
thanks!!! im going to focus on this part of your message because though i have the means to polish things, im honestly just not comfortable doing it. ill think about bending the spring, but again, its a bit worrisome.

i do have a tap, bit, and all sorts of tools to do it myself. do they have set screws with the rubber nub at the end? id rather use that than mar up the gun with repeated metal on metal contact.

assuming i should just drill in a location that the oem triggers w/set screws do, then blue loctite the set screw in place? that's probably my best option as i have a decent amount of experience doing that type of work(hobby fabricator).

as for the disconnect, when i had the grips off, i saw it and i was trying to understand how it would add to the pull weight as it really didnt seem like it would. at the same time, i dont think its really a useful feature and i dont mind ditching it.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:44 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The TandemKross Gear Box, a sear spring replacement is easier to do than the spring flip.
You don't have to take the grips off. Drive the sear spring pin out with a punch--and with needle nose pliers, hold one of the spring ends while taking the punch out. You can pull the spring out easily. Push the Gear Box in and push to get the assembly in the space. The pin can be put in almost by hand, wiggling it until it goes in.
I have changed this on 6 of my Buckmarks, and each one it lowered the pull by at least a 1/2 lb.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:07 PM
idiggplants

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoran View Post
Doesn't Tandemkross now have a spring replacement..the gear box or something?

I got lucky and found a VQ trigger and hammer...keep searching Ebay and GBer

I just sent mine to Dave Sams and told him what I wanted....he ain't cheap but the trigger job is nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeman View Post
The TandemKross Gear Box, a sear spring replacement is easier to do than the spring flip.
You don't have to take the grips off. Drive the sear spring pin out with a punch--and with needle nose pliers, hold one of the spring ends while taking the punch out. You can pull the spring out easily. Push the Gear Box in and push to get the assembly in the space. The pin can be put in almost by hand, wiggling it until it goes in.
I have changed this on 6 of my Buckmarks, and each one it lowered the pull by at least a 1/2 lb.
ohh nice. yeah, $30 to shave off a half lb of pull? that looks like what im after. between that and a homemade overtravel stop, i should be set. just need to find a small set screw with a polymer tip.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:58 PM
RMoran
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Probably not what you are looking for, but...I seem to recall some people gluing pecil eraser behind the trigger, to the frame and shaving them down for a over travel stop.

Or just keep searching ebay, gunbroker and Numrich gun parts for the factory trigger
Old 11-07-2019, 07:15 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tandemkross also sells a trigger unit
Old 11-08-2019, 08:25 AM
idiggplants

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGF View Post
Tandemkross also sells a trigger unit
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiggplants View Post

more important is the trigger shoe itself. from what i can see out there, the only one i can find is TD. not a huge fan of that one as it takes up too much room in the trigger guard for a gloved shooter.
as said... the tandemkross is readily available, but its obnoxiously large IMO. not going to work well for me.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 AM
idiggplants

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoran View Post
Probably not what you are looking for, but...I seem to recall some people gluing pecil eraser behind the trigger, to the frame and shaving them down for a over travel stop.

Or just keep searching ebay, gunbroker and Numrich gun parts for the factory trigger
yeah, im probably going to watch ebay. gunbroker has never given me much luck. never tried numrich tho, ill have to check them out.

honestly the biggest thing here, is that im baffled that so many companies have abandoned parts for the buckmarks with how overly popular theyve been selling lately.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by idiggplants View Post
do they have set screws with the rubber nub at the end? id rather use that than mar up the gun with repeated metal on metal contact.

assuming i should just drill in a location that the oem triggers w/set screws do, then blue loctite the set screw in place? that's probably my best option as i have a decent amount of experience doing that type of work(hobby fabricator).

as for the disconnect, when i had the grips off, i saw it and i was trying to understand how it would add to the pull weight as it really didnt seem like it would. at the same time, i dont think its really a useful feature and i dont mind ditching it.
Here's a photo of the Browning Trigger Limit Screw. It's an all-steel screw with a steel tip (aka "dog"). The threads are 5-40. The whole thing is 1/4" long, but the threads are 3/16" long. They usually need to be filed down a little to not stick out of the front of the trigger face when they are set to a depth to limit overtravel. You can file a small amount off the top, but don't go too far and don't bugger the surface too badly, because you need to be able to get a hex wrench in there to turn it. I recommend filing on the tip end to shorten it as needed. If buying an after-market set screw, maybe start with a "half dog" set screw, which has a shorter tip to begin with.

Here's a photo of the no-longer-available Browning "adjustable" trigger, showing the location of the trigger limit screw hole. And here's a photo of the same trigger, from the side, showing the angle of the hole. Note, however, that due to tolerances and variations in Buckmark frames, the stock screw location sometimes results in the screw nearly missing the frame, contacting just the very edge of the trigger cutout. It still works, but it's not ideal. I recommend drilling the hole at more of a straight-back angle and/or a hair lower than the stock location, to avoid this.

I had suggested using a 5-40 tap and set screw, because that's the stock size. Others have also reported good success with the more common 6-32 size. An example of why you might prefer that is that looking at nylon-tipped set screws at McMaster-Carr, they have them in 4-40 or 6-32, but not 5-40 (I looked a few other places, too, like Grainger, MSC, Fastenal, but didn't see any 5-40 nylon tipped set screws). So, if you want nylon tipped, then 5-40 might not be an option. And you are more likely to already have a 6-32 tap.
Since the screw length listed does not include the tip, the closest to stock would be the 6-32 3/16" or the 4-40 3/16".

Hope that helps,
Dave

Last edited by rdas; 11-08-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:40 AM
idiggplants

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post

Hope that helps,
understatement of the year. THANKS!

Im going to watch ebay for a few months, see if anything pops up... then ill look into the 6-32 nylon tipped set screw.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:33 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is what the Volquartsen triggers look like. they had a chrome and a black one.
They work very well after you get the pin to hold. The pin fits loose in the trigger hole so I used a bit of contact cement to get it to hold while I adjusted the pin, then let it set for 10 minutes.
On each of these I have fired at least 1,000 rounds through each pistol and no problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07 camper URX after.jpg (328.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 93 Micro slab after.jpg (124.9 KB, 9 views)