Milk Jug Expansion Tests - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:47 AM
jerryd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Milk Jug Expansion Tests

22 Rimfire Milk Jug Tests

Shot at 50 Yards unless noted otherwise, Original Bullet Weight is in Parenthesis. All Rounds are Long Rifle Except CCI-Short HP and Aguila Super Colibri. Barrel length was 22 inches.

A-HV HP (Aguila High Velocity HP); Completely Penetrated 3 Jugs. Recovered weight 37.6 grains (38). Max. Expansion 0.295".

A-SC (Aguila Super Colibri); Shot at 20 Yards. Penetrated into 1st Jug, did Not Dimple Back Wall of Jug. Recovered weight 20 grains (20). No Visible Expansion.

A-SS HP (Aguila Sub-Sonic Hollow Point); Recovered in 2nd Jug. Recovered weight 37.4 grains (38). Max. Expansion 0.325".

CCI-QS (CCI Quik Shok) Did not Penetrate Back Wall of 1st Jug, Blew Jug Apart. Only Found 1 Small Fragment in Jug. Recovered weight 3.5 grains. This was the older packaged Quik Shok (pre 2006).

CCI-Short HP (CCI Short Hollow Point); Shot at 35 Yards. Found in 2nd Jug. Recovered weight 27.0 grains (27). Max. Expansion 0.400".

CCI-Short HP (50) (CCI Short Hollow Point); Shot at 50 Yards. Found in 3rd Jug. Recovered weight 26.5 grains (27). Max. Expansion 0.420".

CCI-SS HP (CCI Sub Sonic Hollow Point); Penetrated 2 Milk Jugs, Stopped on Face of 3rd Jug, Blew Apart 1st Jug. Recovered weight 39.0 grains (40). Max. Expansion 0.380".

REM-SS HP (Remington Sub Sonic Hollow Point); Penetrated 2 Milk Jugs. Recovered weight 39.3 grains (?). Max. Expansion 0.335".

RWS-SS HP (RWS Sub-Sonic Hollow Point); Penetrated into 3rd Jug. Recovered weight 40.3 grains (40). Max. Expansion 0.330".

WMT (Wolf Match Target); Penetrated into 5th Jug. Recovered weight 40 grains (40). No Visible Expansion.

Jerry

Last edited by jerryd; 09-15-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:56 AM
crazyTKDsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to crazyTKDsquirrel Send a message via MSN to crazyTKDsquirrel
Very nice tests Jerry .

Sorry Cube, he beat you to it .
Buuuutt........I don't see a Velocitor up there
Old 09-14-2006, 07:21 AM
LukeShoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice job

Very impressed with the CCI Sub-Sonic and short HP.

I vote this for a sticky. We should add to it as different members test other rounds.

Like maybe....ahh... let me think... Oh yah, How-bout the VELOCITOR.

Start saving milk jugs. Capturing one of these ain't easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 10:47 AM
jerryd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
I took what I thought was a box of Velocitors with me...turned out to be some minimag solids that I had put in the Velocitor box...Later.

I was surprised by the Shorts and the CCI Quik Shok. At the end of my test I had one jug left, so I tried the Quik Shoks again, Same results, blew the jug in the air, tore up the jug and again found only 1 piece that looks like the one above. I wanted to shoot some for accuracy,but it was too windy.

Jerry
Old 09-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Gapmaster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice Work

Nice job jerryd. I agree with Lukeshoot, this needs to be saved. I think we all should contribute to this with different rounds. Being able to actually look at the pic's and see what these are doing is great information. The only thing I think would be great information to add is noise level. Like, on a scale of 1-5, how loud was the round? Accuracy really depends on the shooters rifle so I'm not sure if that would be helpful, but maybe so. All the info we could get on each round would be great to use before buying. The Quickshoks remind me of little v-maxs I am also surprised at the expansion on the CCI Sub Sonics. Don
Old 09-14-2006, 01:05 PM
Old Iron Sights

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you shoot them outa my cz lux??? because I have the exact same results as you, with the same looking rifling !!! Great test , I was impressed with quik shoks, however, they have a peculiar expansion. They seem to have a horizontal expansion plane, as opposed to a circular/ring shaped expansion. I also found they failed to penetrate the first jug. I was unimpressed by this, why? Well, the quick shoks blew open the front of the jug but the back looked exactly like it did pre-destruction. With velocitors it blew up the front AND the back, so it split the jug completely in half, with micro ruptures everywhere,the Quick shok didnt have this. The quik shok left the front side of the jug splayed open but the back fairly normal. Finally, the quik shoks blew a can to shreds, where as the velocitor blew it in half. It was when I tested the cans I found out the peculiar expansion of quick shoks. The bottom and top of the can, where the metal is slightly thicker, was not mishapen with quik shoks. With velocitors the bottom was blown out and the force of which was so great that it bent the steel garbage can lid it was resting on as a result of downward hydraulic shock. Eley HV HP did the same thing with slightly less "explosiveness" I would feel better hunting anything bigger then squirrel with a conventional hollow point or velocitor then a stinger/quick shok as they have 0 penetration.
Have good one and thanks for the pics, I for one LOVE Milk Jug testing!!!
OIS
Old 09-14-2006, 01:05 PM
LukeShoot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The expansion in a water jug is usually greater than the expansion that you would get when shot into game however, in another thread, several members commented how Remington Sub-Sonics seemed more prone to shoot-through a squirrel than CCI Sub-Sonics. The water-jug tests confirm this finding. Good info here.

And yes, even though it would be highly subjective, I would also like to see estimated sound levels here.

One other thing that would be very useful would be a description of the first jug destruction. This gives information on the initial impact (knock-down shock) on game.

We should be able to put together a pretty decent 22 caliber terminal ballistics database here for our own reference and for newcomers to view before posting the same old questions.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Pecci

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not surprised in regards to the CCI Short HP. I have tested them into wet paper. They only penetrated about 2.5", and flattened like a pancake. I haven't ever noticed any ricochets either.

To me it seems like a great pest/small game round, especially near populated areas. I wish there were rifles made today, exclusively for 22 Shorts.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:24 PM
Old Iron Sights

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Noise analysis(sp ) out of a 25"bbl Cz Lux scale 1-10 1 being .."pellet gun, what pellet gun-10 being "%%%% who's got a cannon"-sounded like mag
A-HV HP (Aguila High Velocity HP); Completely Penetrated 3 Jugs. Recovered weight 37.6 grains (38). Max. Expansion 0.295".- (6)

A-SC (Aguila Super Colibri); Shot at 20 Yards. Penetrated into 1st Jug, did Not Dimple Back Wall of Jug. Recovered weight 20 grains (20). No Visible Expansion-(2)

A-SS HP (Aguila Sub-Sonic Hollow Point); Recovered in 2nd Jug. Recovered weight 37.4 grains (38). Max. Expansion 0.325". (4)

CCI-QS (CCI Quik Shok) Did not Penetrate Back Wall of 1st Jug, Blew Jug Apart. Only Found 1 Small Fragment in Jug. Recovered weight 3.5 grains.(9)

CCI-Short HP (CCI Short Hollow Point); Shot at 35 Yards. Found in 2nd Jug. Recovered weight 27.0 grains (27). Max. Expansion 0.400". if its High velocity that I see on CCI website then- (5)

CCI-Short HP (50) (CCI Short Hollow Point); Shot at 50 Yards. Found in 3rd Jug. Recovered weight 26.5 grains (27). Max. Expansion 0.420". (5)

CCI-SS HP (CCI Sub Sonic Hollow Point); Penetrated 2 Milk Jugs, Stopped on Face of 3rd Jug, Blew Apart 1st Jug. Recovered weight 39.0 grains (40). Max. Expansion 0.380".(4.4)

REM-SS HP (Remington Sub Sonic Hollow Point); Penetrated 2 Milk Jugs. Recovered weight 39.3 grains (?). Max. Expansion 0.335". (4.5)-some crack, some dont fire.

RWS-SS HP (RWS Sub-Sonic Hollow Point); Penetrated into 3rd Jug. Recovered weight 40.3 grains (40). Max. Expansion 0.330".-( 3.8)

WMT (Wolf Match Target); Penetrated into 5th Jug. Recovered weight 40 grains (40). No Visible Expansion.(3.9/4.1-not too sure)
Hope that helps, yes its subjective.

In a field the shorts sound like a pfftchhhhhh, in the woods you here the muzzle blast and everything, so its actually sounds a like a high velocity bullet. Alot depends on surroundings and whether your the shooter or not.
OIS
Old 09-14-2006, 01:41 PM
jimmygun
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I vote for sticky
Old 09-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Cube522Master

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You make my Jug test look terrible At least I made Crazy happy by doing the Velocitor
Old 09-14-2006, 04:04 PM
1SHOT 1KILL

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecci
Not surprised in regards to the CCI Short HP. I have tested them into wet paper. They only penetrated about 2.5", and flattened like a pancake. I haven't ever noticed any ricochets either.

To me it seems like a great pest/small game round, especially near populated areas. I wish there were rifles made today, exclusively for 22 Shorts.
Send the barrel to xxring and have him re chamber & re-lign it for shorts! I think I'll do that later later, not right now right now but later later
Old 09-14-2006, 04:06 PM
1SHOT 1KILL

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
So the milk jugs were completely full of water (to the rim)?
Were they screw top or snap on top? I'm gonna do my own testing out of my guns. SUPER GREAT TEST BY THE WAY
MAKE IT A STICKY ICKY
Old 09-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Old Iron Sights

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Make it a sticky, one we can add to-I have tons of pics and documentation of 22's and testing.
OIS
Old 09-14-2006, 05:31 PM
crazyTKDsquirrel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to crazyTKDsquirrel Send a message via MSN to crazyTKDsquirrel
Sticky sounds good