Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Gus Karnes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mini Palma Match????

A fairly close club to us has a "Mini Palma match" listed on their roster this year, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the heck this involves? Being primarily a benchrest shooter and plinker, I have no idea, but wouldnt mind going there to play, as long as I have the equipment and a little practice beforehand, maybe a good place to use my BSA MKII with the peep sights put back on? any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Gus...
Old 03-23-2006, 11:01 AM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Sounds interesting. a regular Palma match is for centerfire rifles at long range, http://www.palma.org/

I wonder if a mini palma is for rimfires or not.

When you find out let me know. Mt. Vernon is not that far.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:42 PM
Al D.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gus,
The Mini-Palma match is a creation of the Fuzzy Limey. It is for .22 rimfire and is fired at 100 yards from the prone position. The bulls are the 800 yd, 900 yd, and 1000 yd Palma targets reduced to 100 yards. There is a sighter bull and a record bull for each 'distance'. The course of fire starts on the 800 bull with unlimited sighters followed by 15 record shots on the 800. Once you leave the sighter bull, you cannot return to it. You then are allowed 2 sighters on the 900 bull followed by 15 record shots and then 2 sighters on the 1000 bull followed by 15 record shots. Maximum score is 450. It can be run in a block time of 45 minutes for all 3 bulls or in 15 minute stages. Times include sighters. It is definitely a challenging match to shoot. I think my best was 448-27x with scope and 445-25x with irons.
Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 06:06 PM
ironfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds Like Fun

Gus , where is this match located?
Thanks
Ironfox
Old 03-23-2006, 07:01 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
Got a link to a PDF to download a sample of the actual size of the targets, or to someone who prints them up?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Al D.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The targets are listed in Champion's Choice cataloge at $38/100. I do not know who did the actual printing.
The aiming black of the 800 appears to be about 5.75 in. in dia with a 10 ring of about 1.95 in. in dia. The aiming black of the 900 is about 5.1 with a 1.7 in ten ring. The aiming black of the 1000 is about 4.5 in. with a 1.5 in. ten ring.
Al
Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 PM
Al D.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Go to this link to see a Mini-Palma target in comparison to the normal NRA 100 yard smallbore target. http://www.lafn.org/~larr/Mini-Palma-prog.html

Down loadable single bulls can be found at http://www.gamecalls.net/free_stuff/...e_targets.html

Last edited by Al D.; 03-23-2006 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:42 PM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
Mini-Palma targets ..... !

Hi Gus,

The first of the two links that Al listed above is indeed a copy I believe of the comparison photo that I used to show on the old TnSSA Smallbore website. I have been going over all my files on this 'puter and on all my Zip drives, and for the life of me cannot find the original drawings of the targets.

Since I first designed the MP Targets back in 2001/2002 I have "lost" two computers to lightning strikes up here on the mountain top. I do however have a small supply of the original targets on hand here at home, and given a little time I can cut out and scan the individual bulls, convert them to .PDF, and show them as a reference on the CRC website, if thats OK ? Incidentally, only the 10 and X-rings are a true reduction of the regular Palma targets. The remaining ring sizes, with uniform spacings, were derived statistically, such that actual Palma shooters would obtain scores comparable to their real 800, 900 and 1000 yards scores ... they even allow for relative wind effects !

Yes - the targets are available from Champions Choice, and possibly also from Champion Shooters. If you do give it a go, you'll find it to be a very challenging course of fire ... it was designed to be shot under the same criteria that control full-size Palma, with iron sights only. The record score for a 3-Match tournament was shot by Brooks Harris of Nashville, TN .... 1348 -??? X back in 2002.

Regards,
Bryan - The Fuzzy Limey
Old 03-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Adam Nehrt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The match location!!

Howdy guys.. this Mini Palma match is going to be held in Effingham Illinois on August the 13th. For a 2006 calendar of events write to the Effingham county sportsmans club P.O. Box 444 effingham Il 62401. Ihave shot N.R.A. HIGH POWER matches there in the past and they have a very nice facility!! Ihave asked them about other rimfire matches,they may have more if they have more competitors A.N.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:49 AM
Gus Karnes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sounds like real fun...

Probably a job for the BSA MKII, Ill have to see if they allow scopes, or will use peeps, we shoot Necco wafers ( bout the size of a quarter) at 100 yds, but I never tried it with peep sights, so we'll check on sights, and rests, rifle limitations, etc, and post it later...
Old 03-24-2006, 05:11 AM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey
Guilty I'm Afraid .... !

Hi Dwight,

Yep, 'fraid so ! I'm sitting here looking at one of those stickers Stacy Kunz had printed up .... they were given out at the 2002 Nationals and to interested folk ahead of time. I still had a few left down in my workshop. And , Yes ... we had kicked the Mini-Palma idea around for some time before it finally developed. Originally we envisaged it as a 100, 150, and 200 yard event, but with the logistic difficulties of 3 differing targets to be printed, pit duty/target pulling, and the .22 rimfire ballistics, even ran several trial matches at the TN National Guard range in Tullahoma, it settled down as a single distance/common target event, more suited to typical Smallbore Club facilities.

After the Cole twins down in Texas "disappeared from view", and Stacey headed off to Afghanistan to chase terrorists, I was left holding the bag so to speak on the new game. We had proposed to NRA that the targets and course of fire be officially adopted, and had the support of Walt Walters, our regional director in that effort, but to no avail. For the first Nationals at CRC in 2002, we had a large number of advance entries for the tournament ... but then mysteriously in the week before the match I received an almost equally large number of cancellations ... and a few rumours circulated of NRA pressure not to participate ???

The match was held with some half-dozen or so participants ... Brooks Harris won my "Dragon Slayer" perpetual trophy ... it now sits on one of my shelves awaiting a new annual holder. Thoughts have crossed my mind of making a twin to it, and offereing them to CMP for the annual winners of the Rimfire Sporter Nationals, but ... !

In retrospect, if I were to do it again, I would make some changes to the official target. Only have one sighter bull, and the three scoring bulls ... increase the Black area of each bull to a uniform size, but not change the ring dimensions. Visibility of the "1000 yard black" at 100 yards is not the best for "old eyes" like mine ... remember this is an Iron Sight event, just like the original Palma match.

Regards,
Bryan - The Fuzzy Limey
Old 03-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Gus Karnes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Thanks Guys,,,

we got target to practice with, never shot much prone with peep sights, but gonna give it a try!!!!! Dont take much incentive to go out and waste a few more boxes a week...