Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:23 PM
chetc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
after the MPR

my buddy has an Anshutz 64 MPR. i have the Tikka TX1 they shoot about he same, so if i wanted to go up in accuracy with the Anshutz for shooting off the bench at 50yds what models should i be looking at

chet
Old 12-02-2019, 01:41 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Gun vs shooter

Any bench rest model with a 54 action, ie, one of the 1900 series.

With all due respect and not knowing your capabilities, sometimes this pursuit of accuracy can be a dead end or a little frustrating. There were days when I did relatively well with modest equipment.On other days, it didn't matter what perfect package I took to the range. Doing better than a dime wasn't going to happen. Once in a while, I realized the benefit of the high end gun with a one tiny hole, but that was usually the exception.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetc View Post
my buddy has an Anshutz 64 MPR. i have the Tikka TX1 they shoot about he same, so if i wanted to go up in accuracy with the Anshutz for shooting off the bench at 50yds what models should i be looking at

chet
You've tried the MPR yourself and achieved the same results as with your T1X? You used ammo that's proven good for each rifle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 03:08 PM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Quote:
my buddy has an Anshutz 64 MPR. i have the Tikka TX1 they shoot about he same, so if i wanted to go up in accuracy with the Anshutz for shooting off the bench at 50yds what models should i be looking at chet
To assume one model will shoot better than another model assumes there is constancy among models. There is not.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:53 PM
dbr65
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (237)
Barrels are probably the biggest factor for accuracy ands consistency, and barrels vary -- within a given brand and model and among different brands. Every rifle is a unique individual.

Doug
Old 12-02-2019, 07:29 PM
kevin1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:

chet
How does it shoot and with what ammo?
Old 12-02-2019, 09:08 PM
chetc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
You've tried the MPR yourself and achieved the same results as with your T1X? You used ammo that's proven good for each rifle?
sir
i have not tried the MPR myself, but i can say the shooter is well seasoned, for some time the TX was slightly more accurate, since he shoots his MPR rather consistent, i offered him some SK Pistol match and he did shoot a bit tighter than the TX, very marginally, not all the time, but as i see it, these 2 rifles are very accurate, both will shoot in the .2's and 3's, but i am seeing some other anshutz's shooting in the .2's more consistently, that is why i am after something other than either the TX1 or the MPR.

chet
Old 12-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
sir
i have not tried the MPR myself, but i can say the shooter is well seasoned, for some time the TX was slightly more accurate, since he shoots his MPR rather consistent, i offered him some SK Pistol match and he did shoot a bit tighter than the TX, very marginally, not all the time, but as i see it, these 2 rifles are very accurate, both will shoot in the .2's and 3's, but i am seeing some other anshutz's shooting in the .2's more consistently, that is why i am after something other than either the TX1 or the MPR.
Rifle accuracy depends to a great extent on the barrel, the ammo, and the chamber -- not necessarily in that order. Having a suitable stock also helps when it comes to shooting from the bench.

Anschutz makes very good barrels. While not all are exactly the same, the majority of them will be average for Anschutz barrels. In other words, Anschutz shooters usually get rifles with good barrels compared to other factory rifles.

Shooters looking for the best chances for the best accuracy from an out-of-the-box factory rifle are drawn to Anschutz because of Anschutz's deserved reputation for quality. Among the best shooting factory rifles are Anschutz 54 action single shot rifles. They have as good a barrel as can be found on factory rifles, they have excellent triggers, and they have match chambers.

In addition, Anschutz makes a benchrest style stock that is available with their 54 action match barreled actions, the 1913, 2013, and 54.30. These stocks have a three inch wide flat forestock which is designed for use with a three inch wide front bag on the front rest. These stocks contribute to the stability of the rifle because the flat stock bottom can't roll.

Using the most suitable ammo with any target smallbore rifle is very important. Not all "match ammo" is the same nor will it shoot the same in a given rifle. Moreover, what shoots well in one rifle may not shoot well in another, even of the same make and model. To complicate things further, ammo of the same variety varies by lot, sometimes considerably.

Regarding the chamber, there's no way of knowing for sure what the T1X's or MPR's chamber dimensions might be as the manufacturers don't publish that information. There are many sizes of chambers. Repeaters often have larger sporter chambers, although not all of them need be exactly the same size, with some closer to match dimensions than others. Single shot match rifles typically have tighter match chambers. Generally speaking, match chambers contribute to improved accuracy, although probably not as much as the barrel and ammo.

If someone was looking for a very good chance of improving accuracy over a typical T1X, then the Anschutz 1913, 2013, or 54.30 barreled actions together with an Anschutz BR 50 benchrest style stock would be a good choice for bench shooting at 50 yards.

Below are two examples of Anschutz rifles made for bench shooting. While they are not considered competitive with custom rifles with aftermarket custom barrels, they do offer shooters for whom custom rifles are not available as good a factory, out-of-the-box rifle as can be found.

The 1913 BR 50

The 54.30 BR 50

Old 12-11-2019, 02:09 PM
AlbertaRimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Having owned an MPR and currently owning a 54.30 with stainless barrel in BR stock i give the nod to the 54.30 assuming cost isnt an issue. With that being said my MPR was still very very accurate when using the ammo it liked.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:29 PM
brucear
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anschutz MPR

FB_IMG_1545606940301.jpg

Here is my Anschutz MPR at 50 yards 10 shots a dime will cover it up
Old 12-11-2019, 05:52 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
my MPR at 50y with lot tested ammo, 5 round groups

and the best group ive ever gotten out of it

Old 12-12-2019, 10:34 AM
chetc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
what glass is on the MPR
Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
6-24x42 sightron is what was on it. i have recently swapped it over to a 36x42 sightron, but it shot it has shot its best groups when it had the 24 on it.

Last edited by Clem-E; 12-12-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:57 PM
chetc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
hi clem e

that is excellent shooting, and good glass, i am currently shooting the Tikka TX 1 with the Athlon Talos 6x24x50 actually it is a great scope for under 200 bucks, my buddy's MPR does not shoot like yours for sure, i am about ready to put a 36x weaver on my tikka, before i make my choice on my Anshutz, can anyone say anything yet on the Anshutz 1761. wonder how it would stack against the MPR, the 1761 is supposed to have a different action. i am currrently playing with a barrel tuner shooting SK rifle match and pistol match.

Chet
Old 12-17-2019, 03:38 PM
HondaVTEC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My MPR is very similar accuracy wise to Clem- E's . 5 Shot groups with ammo it likes is typically in the .200's . Sometimes better . However , I have to be on my A game and shooting that rifle regularly . The local benchrest shooters that shoot the dedicated BR50's ( factory guns with Harrell tuners ) are in a completely different league . I don't even try to run with them with the MPR . I'd have zero chance .