Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:30 PM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Velocitor Duds

I love this little round, but the last two boxes have had a total of 4 duds. Three in one box, and so far one in the other.
Each round has a very hard strike from the firing pin on it but none fired.
Anybody else had trouble with this ammo?
Batch # M11Q04
Old 06-03-2019, 05:21 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Yep.
It's CCI.
They still use the manual method of installing primer in the brass.
Often leaving bare spots in the rim.
Extract, rotate 120 degrees, try again.
Usually goes bang on the second try.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:50 PM
kirby999

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
No Velocitors, but I had a 15+ year old Stinger dud last week . Only one Iíve ever had . But the price sticker on the box was around $2.97 . Kirby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 06:47 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsmurf View Post
Batch # M11Q04
I have two box's of Velocitor's and they're lot # M12Q04. I wonder what the "2" means? The following quantity of some amount from yours must be? Enough money for these rounds for there to be a miss in quality control. As mentioned give them a turn as there may be a void of priming material in their rims. If turning them twice to a clean spot on their rims doesn't fire them off they would then likely have no primer at all, like Remington's seem to have once in a while.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:50 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What sort of firearm? Before you blame the ammo, maybe the rifle/pistol?
Old 06-07-2019, 10:23 PM
wis-harpo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bite your tongue, don't you know that you can't criticize CCI, only complaints about Remington will be heard !!!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:05 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot a few in my Rem 597 semi before it was brought to my attention they were too robust for Remington's taste and there was a warning about hyper velocity ammo in it. Lotsa smackdown in my modeling clay ballistic testing. I should give em a go in my CZ UL and see how they fare as its the only firearm I own they'd be safe in. No duds for me.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:23 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wis-harpo View Post
Bite your tongue, don't you know that you can't criticize CCI, only complaints about Remington will be heard !!!
I LOVE Remington ammo. Thunderbolts and Golden Bullet are 2 of the best brands out there.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:35 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Well, I'm an long time CCI user but have to admit I've had more duds from them the past two years than in the previous thirty years.... They need to tighten up their QC as its seems to be slipping.

Oh and this is one reason "smart" folks don't carry Rimfires for self defense...
Old 06-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Oh and this is one reason "smart" folks don't carry Rimfires for self defense...
I can't believe that thread has so many responses and has gotten the traction it has. Foolishness! Just Foolishness! Oh guess I'd better also!
Old 06-08-2019, 07:43 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Well, I'm an long time CCI user but have to admit I've had more duds from them the past two years than in the previous thirty years.... They need to tighten up their QC as its seems to be slipping.

Or use Eley hv hp for SD.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 AM
Mnlefty
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Last week I shot 11 rounds of Velocitor that I pocket carried in my NAA mini for a year. All 11 rounds fired and were in a nice group. I carry 6 rounds in a fuse box in off side pocket. These rounds were fresh ammo when started to carry, but I will try to change out more often.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:41 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been shooting CCI Mini--Mags, Stingers, and Velocitors since 1983. Had my fist failure to fire about a year ago. Only one, and it was a Mini-Mag. Can't say the same for any other rimfire ammo...

Nonetheless, it shook my semi-confidence in CCI rimfire ammo as an alternative self-defense ammo, even though it was only one in the past 35 years of shooting it. Mr Murphy has a tendency to show up at the least opportune times...

Still, given the percentages, one FTF in 35+ years of shooting is pretty darn good! I have, BTW, had a FTF from decent quality factory centerfire ammo, so I'm not slamming CCI. Just be prepared if you are relying on it for self defense to know proper failure procedures. It will always happen at the worst time, per Mr Murphy.

I won't shoot anything other than CCI ammo, given abysmal results from Federal and American. I have found what works in ALL of my rimfire firearms reliably, and that is CCI.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:13 PM
atomicsmurf

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am in contact with a CCI rep (via email) about this lot number. He said the lot number is about 10 years old. Which is about right. I've had it in a surplus ammo can in an AC house for about that long. I've got 5 boxes from the lot number. This recent box I opened, 9 out of 16 failed to fire. I even turned one and shot it again, no bang.

I then put 5 cylinders (8-shot revolver) full of Federal 525 Bulk and they all went bang. (although a few sounded weak they still fired.)

I kept the ammo of the failed Velocitors and sent photos to the CCI rep. They seem very interested in what is going on with this lot#. So am I.... I've got 5 boxes of the stuff.

Not bashing CCI. I've shot plenty of Stingers and Mini-mag without failure.

PS Somebody in an above post asked what kind of firearm I was using. S&W Model 63 revolver. Marlin 981t rifle. Both had Velocitor FTFs. Both are striking very nice deep strikes.

UPDATE:
CCI wants to take a look at the misfired ammo and 100 rounds of the unfired boxes with the lot#. They're sending a UPS truck around to pick it up. Will keep y'all posted.

Last edited by atomicsmurf; 06-12-2019 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Update