Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:40 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
40X barreled action- no bolt

Walking through a great gun show today minding my own business and I see a pretty rough looking rifle laying amongst a line of about 50 other rifles. For some reason this one called out to me so I couldn't resist- I walked over and turned it over and gave it a look.
Turns out it is a 40X barreled action from the CMP with no bolt. I've been wanting to build a sporter repeater 40X for quite some time but I was having a hard time talking myself into cutting into my almost pristine 40X target. Now I have an action I don't have much invested in that I won't shed tears if I make a small mistake. The barrel and action look like they have had some surface rust on them as they have been partially polished as if to get ready for bluing, but whoever did it never completed the project.
So I know that PTG sells 40X bolts so I have an avenue to buy the bolt I need unless somebody here has a spare they would be willing to sell. I would think and original style one would possible fit better and not require the fitting a PTG aftermarket would need but time will tell.
I'll be trying to turn down the original barrel to sporter specs if I can find them so I can come as close as I can to a 40X Sporter repeater clone...
Also, do the 40X take a 700 trigger? I have an extra 700 trigger laying around but since these are built on a 788 action I'm not sure if they trigger is different or may have some minor differences I'm not aware of. As far as I know, Timney and several others list the same trigger for the 788, 700, and several other models.

This barreled action also came with a stock but no bottom metal or action bolts. No problem as the stock will be moving along to someone who needs one and action bolts aren't difficult to find for the 7-- series rifles...

And the best part? The price was $200 + $10 for the background check out the door...

Add another project to the list.....

Bob
Old 03-02-2019, 06:53 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Bob, the triggers are the same as the 700, I assume this is a 40XB. The bolt handles differ from 40X to 40XB. 40X is a straight handle while the XB is swept back.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:55 PM
lion
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Bob;
The 40Xs were built on the 721 series rifles. Any 700 trigger should work. Now that I said that let me clarify. The 40X and 700 series triggers are not interchangeable because of the safties and bolt stop springs. Without safties they are interchangeable. The bolt stops are interchangeable but not the springs. Sounds complicated but once you know the difference it is not. Feel free to call me if you want to. 605dash661dash7709. Wayne

PS May be able to help with a bolt.
By the way you stole it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 07:24 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the help guys. This is a 40X, not a B model and it is US marked.

Wayne, I'll give you a call once I gather some of the materials I need. Let me know in a PM or email if you have access to a bolt. I will need a bolt to set up the trigger , lay out the mag location, etc... as I'm sure you already know.... this will be a learning experience for me...

Bob
Old 03-03-2019, 06:03 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
If it was me, I would take off the barrel, blueprint the receiver and buy a quality barrel that you can order to the exact contour and length you want. Wayne can give you some great tips on how to attempt to turn your single shot into a repeater. If it was me, I would NOT waste ANY time trying to configure it to use the original magazine. They are very expensive, hard to find and feed poorly. WATCHADDIC had James Anderson convert his sportier to a Kimber of Oregon magazine that feeds perfectly.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:54 AM
WATCHADDIC
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
If it was me, I would take off the barrel, blueprint the receiver and buy a quality barrel that you can order to the exact contour and length you want. Wayne can give you some great tips on how to attempt to turn your single shot into a repeater. If it was me, I would NOT waste ANY time trying to configure it to use the original magazine. They are very expensive, hard to find and feed poorly. WATCHADDIC had James Anderson convert his sportier to a Kimber of Oregon magazine that feeds perfectly.
I second the buy a barrel. You will spend more money properly turning that barrel down then you would on a new one. I also would do the PTG bolt. The rifle is custom, The new bolt could be perfectly fitted onto the newly blueprinted action. They also have three different style bolt handles. If you want to do a repeater James is the guy. Mine feeds as fast as I can work it.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:30 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
And the best part? The price was $200 + $10 for the background check out the door...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lion View Post
By the way you stole it.
Yep - grand theft.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:34 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
I would take off the barrel, blueprint the receiver and buy a quality barrel that you can order to the exact contour and length you want.
Odd things can happen to the internal dimensions of a barrel that is turned down. Spend the $$$ for a good new barrel - you'll be happier in the long run.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:08 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Who would you guys go to for a barrel? I only ask this because I was going to go with a Lilja barrel because they say they have a program for the original barrels (which is basically the 700 Sporter profile) and can turn one out- but the wait time is very long and I have been picking up some rumblings on forums about guys having problems with barrels they have received from Lilja and not being able to get them to back them up. I know it sounds weird but they were well documented with pictures .
I also called Benchmark and they said they can make a barrel for me on a much shorter time frame.
Who do you guys use and trust for barrels?
Also, where would you source the Kimber parts? Magazine holder, mags, etc.... ?

I was hoping to do most of this work myself on my lathe and mill and I have just about all the tools I need to accomplish this...

Bob
Old 03-03-2019, 11:09 AM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Who would you guys go to for a barrel? I only ask this because I was going to go with a Lilja barrel because they say they have a program for the original barrels (which is basically the 700 Sporter profile) and can turn one out- but the wait time is very long and I have been picking up some rumblings on forums about guys having problems with barrels they have received from Lilja and not being able to get them to back them up. I know it sounds weird but they were well documented with pictures .
I also called Benchmark and they said they can make a barrel for me on a much shorter time frame.
Who do you guys use and trust for barrels?
Also, where would you source the Kimber parts? Magazine holder, mags, etc.... ?

I was hoping to do most of this work myself on my lathe and mill and I have just about all the tools I need to accomplish this...

Bob
Old 03-03-2019, 11:49 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Benchmark is highly regarded by Mark Penrod. Bob, assuming you are going to have a gunsmith cut the chamber, extractors, head space it and crown it, you kinda have to define how long you want to wait for your B\A to get completed. For example, I met with Mark Penrod about a month ago and he told me he was at least a year out on any project. If timing is important to you, you are just gonna have call each candidate and get some estimates.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:02 PM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Tom Kivelhan may still be doing business as Fortress Firearms. He had a bunch of KoO parts. Magazines come up on GB and EB. I think James Anderson fabricated a new magazine well to fit the 40-X. I don't think the Kimber mag well will work.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:02 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks, but I think you misunderstood my last post. The wait on the barrel is an issue but I never intended to send this out to anyone to do the work. I plan on doing everything on this that I can. I just don't have the deep pockets to pay for the level of work (and cost) of a Mark Penrod or James Anderson.
First step is to get the parts together to determine where to go with this project and then proceed from there. If I get in over my head I have a couple gunsmith friends who can help me out with technical details.... I can't really move forward until I have a source for the parts... and have them in hand. I don't want to relearn that lesson the hard way (again)....

Bob
Old 03-03-2019, 02:28 PM
NCchris
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
BobSc, some observations from my own 40X project. Yes, the Timney trigger for the Remington 700 does fit and work fine but, the safety lever requires a little bending to clear the wider rear tang of the 40X action. I am presently considering relieving the side of the tang to allow the safety to work properly. The 40X requires a small coil spring to operate the bolt stop lever instead of the rattrap spring on the 700.
The barrel contour on my CMP 40X is the standard contour which is a little smaller that Remington's Varmint/Sendaro contour. This is nice for a target gun but too heavy for a sporter.
Chris
Old 03-03-2019, 02:33 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
If you have the time and the tools have at it and see what the factory barrel can do. You could have it ready to go while you wait for the pile of parts you will need to complete the project. While sitting at the lathe removing all that metal you will have lots of time to plan the rest of the project. It can also go on some other project gun in the future.