2019 Shawnee Squirrel Hunt - Page 13 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:54 PM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb henderson View Post
Doc. I sure am missing Sadie.
Sadie???????
Old 08-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Doc243
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Doc. I sure am missing Sadie.
Reb, Sadie's doing fine. She talked about you for a while, occasionally even wept a little. Then I took her out hunting a couple of times, it wasn't long before she was back to her old self. It's must be true, time does heal all wounds. I might even bring her down this year, trying to decide between Sadie or Kimberly, only bringing one though..... and I don't want to catch either of them in your grasp again.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:09 PM
patience0830
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VertFish View Post
I think I can survive the 3 or 4 days at Shawnee without a sidearm and without having to have an IL firearms lawyer on retainer and on my speed dial. It only takes one DNR officer who doesn't actually know the law to cause an otherwise legal to go bad. I see no reason to risk it.
I've hunted with a pistol a few times at Shawnee. Even killed a few squirrels with one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2019, 10:17 PM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc243 View Post
The thing I have going for me is I know the CPO's, about 6 or 7 of them from the Hunter Safety classes. I have their cell numbers and their permission to call them just in case they need to "educate" an officer, administrative or CPO if the need be. One also emailed me a pic of their badge to name drop if I have to. Never hurts to have an ace in the hole.

I will tell you that volunteering a couple of weekends a year to teach hunter safety has it's benefits, from getting to know the CPO's, the director, and a few others along the way. It's a good to know that if you are working with the youths of today and the hunters of tomorrow that they are doing the right thing. It's also nice when the mother says we've got lots of hunting land, but he or she doesn't have anyone to take them.... would it be possible for you to take them hunting once or twice? Found a few good hunting spots that way. Doc
I applaud your work on the hunter safety courses. I passed up 2 shots tonight while hunting based upon my training from my Dad 40 years ago. Sadly, many youths interested in hunting may not have a dad who can teach them safe gun handling and hunting. Iím glad that you are stepping up to help.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Sadie misses me I know. I treated her good. Her own special room, lots of expensive food. She got nothing but the best. I even taught her to say Y'all instead of "you guys". I am sure you have probably corrupted her again. If I ever get that pretty little, high strung gal back in my stable she aint goin nowhere.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE View Post
Sadie???????
My Sako P94s sporter I have "loaned" back to Doc. As good a squirrel rifle as I have seen.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:58 PM
Doc243
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
My Sako P94s sporter I have "loaned" back to Doc. As good a squirrel rifle as I have seen.
Ok, the actual story.... Sadie was my Sako that somehow ended up being snatched at the Shawnee hunt a couple of years ago, but the perp got caught red handed. Lol. Me being the swell guy I am, sold the rifle to ole Reb for a song and a dance..... Well a song anyway (Come to find out Reb has two left feet and doesn't look so good in his ballerina outfit). As time went on Reb started neglecting his other rifles, his Cooper, T-Bolt, and some others were destined to become closet queens, not to mention the way his phone bill went up calling me and others and telling tales of the feats of Sadie. Reb started using big words like "Coriolis Effect, Ballistic Coefficient, Trajectory, Minute of Angle.... then he hit rock bottom and started talking about something called "Bullet Dope", I had to draw the line somewhere, so I called an intervention. Me and a few of his closest friends (ok, his other friend) lured Reb to the intervention with the mention of Persimmon Wine. I knew anyone hooked on "Bullet Dope" should be an easy mark for alcohol. So while talking to Reb on the phone about the Persimmon wine, our call was interupted by a knock on my door, I open the door to see Reb standing there still talking on the phone. Scotty from Star-Trek would have been impressed at the warp speed Reb traveled. We strapped Reb to a shooting bench handed him a old Glenfield 60 with a bent barrel and some Golden Bullets and thankfully after a box or so of rounds, Reb started coming back around and missing shots just like the Pre-Sadie days. The intent look of intellect was gone, the twang came back in his southern draw, and his pockets were once again empty. So empty in fact that I had to buy Ole Sadie back from Reb so he would have money for a room that night (recall the snort of persimmon wine he had) and enough gas to get home on. I know what you're thinking..... and I would have put him up for the night EXCEPT for 2 things #1 He might have gotten a hold of one of my good rifles and fallen off the wagon. #2 He was still wearing that ballerina outfit, talking something about being a nutcracker. It's not a pretty story, and I don't make the news..... I just report it. Doc

Last edited by Doc243; 08-25-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Doc that is quite a story. Of course it is all a figment of your imagination. Magic mushroom? Your story has several flaws: 1. Anyone can tell you that bending the barrel on a Marlin 60 and feeding them Golden Bullets is standard accurizing procedure. 2. I aint never studied, read or talked about no coriolis effect. Aint that something you do with a woman? 3. I swore off persimmon wine since that tree body slammed me at Shawnee. 4. That empty blank look is my normal demeanor. 5. I don't have a ballerina outfit although I did borry a pair of leotards from Frank Buck one time. It does, however, worry me that you fantasized about strapping me to a bench. Rehab Doc. Even the best of us need help sometimes.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:30 PM
Doc243
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Doc that is quite a story. Of course it is all a figment of your imagination. Magic mushroom? Your story has several flaws: 1. Anyone can tell you that bending the barrel on a Marlin 60 and feeding them Golden Bullets is standard accurizing procedure. 2. I aint never studied, read or talked about no coriolis effect. Aint that something you do with a woman? 3. I swore off persimmon wine since that tree body slammed me at Shawnee. 4. That empty blank look is my normal demeanor. 5. I don't have a ballerina outfit although I did borry a pair of leotards from Frank Buck one time. It does, however, worry me that you fantasized about strapping me to a bench. Rehab Doc. Even the best of us need help sometimes.
Forget everything else, but tell me how you came up with a pair of leotards from Frank Buck, on second though DON'T. You, Frank Buck and leotards, I agree I do now need a shrink, not so much rehab.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Well... He said you left them at his house and figured since we are brothers from another mother I would like to have them. I only borrowed them for a short time and returned them. They are at Frank's if you want them back. They were camo is what impressed me. Make good squirrel hunting attire.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:56 PM
Doc243
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Speechless, absolutely speechless.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:35 PM
patience0830
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc243 View Post
Speechless, absolutely speechless.
Reb has that effect.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:58 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
Reb has that effect.
Well we already know the effects of combining Persimmon wine and "apple pie"!!!
Don't we!!!

Is that the tree that "body slammed" you???
I must admit you had me pretty worried, but you came out of that ok... Thank you Lord!!! However in hindsight it is pretty funny. I'll probably be there this year to help keep an eye on you. You do the same for me... ok!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
Well we already know the effects of combining Persimmon wine and "apple pie"!!!
Don't we!!!

Is that the tree that "body slammed" you???
I must admit you had me pretty worried, but you came out of that ok... Thank you Lord!!! However in hindsight it is pretty funny. I'll probably be there this year to help keep an eye on you. You do the same for me... ok!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Frank, I will watch out for you. I am pretty sure I dont need a watching out for. I learned my lesson. That being said, I will have some of that persimmon wine and apple pie. I will just try to use good judgement and some sense. Something in the past that has eluded me from time to time.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:11 AM
Donnie Powell
US Navy Veteran Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did the tree survive?