Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-18-2018, 01:18 AM
Biggfoot44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10/22 Skeptic Taking another stab

Maybe I'm a statistical freak , but I've never had a 10/22 that functions reliably . Marlin, Remington semi's no problems .

But a LGS had a flash sale, including blue/ synthetic 10/22 (new)for redicously low price . I couldn't not get one . But I am wary , and don't want to again fall into a rabbit hole of frustration , so I will give it a sink or swim test .

My idea is after a short shakedown , a 50 round reliability test . ie go bang 50 times in a row ( with factory mag of course ) . If it fails, it goes down the road . If it passes , then further development will ensue .

So help me out . Other than typical complete cleaning , and proper lubrication , anything 10/22 specific needing attention right out of the box ?
Old 10-18-2018, 05:08 AM
Jester560
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggfoot44 View Post
Maybe I'm a statistical freak , but I've never had a 10/22 that functions reliably . Marlin, Remington semi's no problems .

But a LGS had a flash sale, including blue/ synthetic 10/22 (new)for redicously low price . I couldn't not get one . But I am wary , and don't want to again fall into a rabbit hole of frustration , so I will give it a sink or swim test .

My idea is after a short shakedown , a 50 round reliability test . ie go bang 50 times in a row ( with factory mag of course ) . If it fails, it goes down the road . If it passes , then further development will ensue .

So help me out . Other than typical complete cleaning , and proper lubrication , anything 10/22 specific needing attention right out of the box ?
I have 2, my son's and mine, and both have been utterly reliable for thousands of rounds with little attention.
I got lucky in that mine loves Remington Vipers and my son's loves Federal hv copper. Both are less than 1" @ 50 yard guns. Mine probably hasn't been touched in the last 500 rounds. It just eats and eats and eats.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I always take a new gun apart to clean and inspect it and make sure it is assembled correctly.

With a 10/22 I take 30 seconds to smooth the inside of the receiver with scotchbrite. Then a couple of minutes to drill the barrel cleaning hole.

Only fire HV for the first few hundred rounds.

Reading the forums here makes it sound like you have to replace some parts but there are millions of these rifles running just fine with all the stock pieces.

I think any semi-auto takes a little time to break-in and demanding that it operate perfectly in the first 50 shots creates unnecessary frustration. Go to Malwart and buy a $20 Federal bulk box and judge it after 500 rounds.
People buy $2K semi-autos that need a little tuning and break-in to operate flawlessly.

Edit: And keep the chamber clean.

Last edited by Randy99CL; 10-18-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Biggfoot44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ah Ha ! That's what I was looking for . Tell me more : Presumably looking for burrs or rough spots ? Which grit(s) ? Scotchbrite deliberately on purpose, or would Fret Eraser ( for polishing guitar frets ) work with better control ?

Yes , I'm familiar generally with breaking in firearms of all types , it just those blasted 10/22's that confounded me . Multiple cleaning & lubing, started with Mini Mags , went thru boatload of others , several mags both oem 10rd, and aftermarket . Neither one could go two mags, and only occasionally one mag w/o malfunctions of varying types .

Hopefully this final attempt will be as reliable as an out of box , uncleaned Marlin
Old 10-18-2018, 11:46 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Hopefully this final attempt will be as reliable as an out of box , uncleaned Marlin
If you want to buy a gun you can simply take out of the box, and shoot reliably and accurately... The Marlin is definitely the better gun. It will likely be more reliable and accurate than the 10/22. It will also be less expensive.

If you want a gun that you can customize, take apart easy, and do mods to... it's hard to beat the Ruger.

This has been debated and tested 1000 times.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Createdbycay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also hear good things about the Remington 597. But for me, I'll stick to my 10/22 since I like to customize.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:34 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

As Randy said.
Cut a piece of green scotchbrite to fit in the top of the receiver, and use a few drops of #9 to clean out the overspray. Give the bolt a cleaning. Then spray the bolt, and inside of the receiver with dry lube. The bolt will run smoother, and clean easier using dry lube. A lot of guys use Hornady one shot, I use Liquid Wrench dry lube with cerflon. It's cheaper, I can get it at the local hardware store, and it works just as good.

Replacing the OEM extractor with a Kidd or VQ will ward off a lot of problems, and run HV for the first 500 rounds.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:39 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I suggest the prev. stuff as well as 200rds CCI MM's fired deliberately, not just as fast as you can pull the trigger.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've used a lot of things to polish the inside of the receiver: scotchbrite, a small sharpening stone, some sandpaper. Even a kitchen scotchbrite pad works.
Mostly to get the paint overspray out of there, but just polish it until it looks smooth and you can cycle the bolt by hand and feel the difference. Shouldn't take more than about 10 minutes; doesn't need to be a mirror finish.
Then I don't lube it for a while to let the parts wear against each other.

Depending on conditions these things can build up lead and gunk in the throat and chamber that cause a lot of feeding/ejection problems.
You almost have to become anal about chamber cleaning but it usually takes hundreds of rounds to be a problem.

Just keep in mind that millions of these things are out there and operating flawlessly. I have three that are 100% stock and have had a total of 3 failures; all Rem Golden Bullcrap back before I quit buying them.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:52 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
I suggest the prev. stuff as well as 200rds CCI MM's fired deliberately, not just as fast as you can pull the trigger.
this ^

since I started doing 80% receivers, I haven't purchased a factory built 10/22, but I also like to put a couple hundred minimags through a new build to break it in, and get an idea of the hunting accuracy potential
Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What are you expecting out of it? Meaning, what do you intend to do with it? Leave it stock, change stuff out?

The two things I'd say on just a factory gun are cleaning up the inside for overspray - I use sandpaper, some frown on that, I've never had any issues so I keep doing it. And maybe change the extractor for a Volquartsen if its stovepiping. Just use factory 10rd mags unless you get one that actually likes certain 25rd mags (I have one thats is near flawless, but others that choke).
Old 10-19-2018, 05:02 AM
Biggfoot44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First things first . If no baseline of actually working , then any plans or intentions are moot .

There are things that I read . There are things people tell me in person . There are things I do experience, and observe myself .

I might be a statistical improbability on the order of winning the Powerball, but my personal experience has been 0 for 2 10/22 not able to get running even after trying the usual things, and consulting my gunsmith friends, and more other rimfires than I can even count, almost never having any problems . Am I a freak , or does the emporer actually not have any clothes .

This $150 NIB fell in my lap, so to speak ( been busy working , haven't had time to pick up yet) . If the third time is the charm, then I'll start doing whatever . If the pattern continues , I'll turn it over whole for parts instead of falling down a rabbit hole and frustrating myself again .
Old 10-19-2018, 08:23 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
It gets worn out, but if you want a really nice 10/22 with good everything... break down and send it to Randy at CPC. It's money WELL spent. Regardless of what is wrong with the gun, it will come back a good, reliable, accurate shooter with a nice trigger, and zero issues. Yes. You will have more money in it. Yes. It will be worth it.

I'd DEFINITELY send on of my 'dud' 10/22's to Randy before I'd 'take my chances' by continuing to buy others, hoping for a good one.

Good Luck
Old 10-19-2018, 08:32 AM
Biggfoot44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been to a cpl hardware stores, no Liquid Wrench Dry Lube. Looks like I'll have to get the Hornaday . Have the rest of the supplies .

Probably pickup on Sunday , but don't know if I'll have to go to work imeadately afterwards .
Old 10-19-2018, 10:36 AM
DGNY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just wanted to wish you good luck on this purchase. I really like the concept of semi auto 22s and the 10/22 was an appealing prospect.

Having bought four, and kept one I can understand your frustration. But I know the good ones are out there; or I daresay CPC could work wonders - which I have yet to try.

Cheers and best,

Dyson