Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:28 AM
p5200
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
removing wood for bull barrel?

Has anyone removed enough wood from a factory standard OEM stock in order to mount a Feddersen bull barrel or, is it even worth the trouble? I plan to get one of the Titan stocks for it later though. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2018, 11:49 PM
thudd3r
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
yep

whistlepig bull barrel in a ruger laminated stock

used a large dowel rod (7/8ths maybe) wrapped with 150 grit sand paper

probably spent more time test fitting than actually sanding
Old 10-06-2018, 06:40 AM
p5200

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks good Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2018, 12:03 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I wrote a big something, but it didn't take, and I don't want to type it up again. Tacsol I did for the kids. It took forever to open that barrel channel up. Not worth it unless it will be a while before you buy a stock.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:19 AM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
I wrote a big something, but it didn't take, and I don't want to type it up again. Tacsol I did for the kids. It took forever to open that barrel channel up. Not worth it unless it will be a while before you buy a stock.

I agree. The one thudd3r sanded is a laminate stock and probably one fourth as hard as the one you sanded. I wouldn't fool with it if a new stock were in my future.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:07 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I use a dowel or PVC pipe just under 1" in diameter wrapped wtih 60 or 80 grit sand paper. Takes about 1 beers worth of time on the front porch, sand a few strokes, check fit, drink. Sand, check, drink.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:06 AM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
https://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith-...SABEgIP2vD_BwE
Used it many times for a perfect fit. Comes in a couple of sizes.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:39 AM
ntsqd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
https://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith-...SABEgIP2vD_BwE
Used it many times for a perfect fit. Comes in a couple of sizes.
Exactly the tool that I was going to recommend.

Of course that's not how I did it way back in '94 or so. Short of an expensive custom stock there were no bull barrel stocks available. I carefully scribed a line along each side of the barrel and used a hand chisel to cut a flat bottomed barrel channel width-wise to the scribe lines and length-wise out to within an inch or so of the fore end tip. Then I only had to sand fit a little bit of length to the barrel. With the barrel in place you have to know to look to see a difference and even then it isn't easy to spot.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:30 PM
NoSecondBest

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I started shooting Sportsman's Team Challenge back around 1991. There were stocks available then for bull barrels. I bought a few of them. There were also a lot of stocks for sporter weight barrels that could be used by opening them up with the tool I recommended. That's around the time everyone started to want a bull barrel thinking fat barrels always shot better. They didn't but lots of them were sold so every aspiring "gunsmith" could "build" a gun.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:52 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
If it ‘takes forever’ you arent using a coarse enough sandpaper. Hog it out with the coarse on a dowel/pvc/conduit to where a dollar bill slips through and finish with a few finer grades until 2 bills slip. Then seal it up. Im sure the expensive tool is very nice but I have more time than money and work I cheap.
With the whole barrel channel relieved you can start putting in pressure pads; that will be a whole study/trials in itself.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Deathrowdave

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have done many as described , sand paper and a dowel rod , I have nothing but cheap labor in it when finished . Business card is my space go no go gauge .
Old 10-14-2018, 10:32 AM
jim46ok

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
I use a dowel or PVC pipe just under 1" in diameter wrapped wtih 60 or 80 grit sand paper. Takes about 1 beers worth of time on the front porch, sand a few strokes, check fit, drink. Sand, check, drink.
Nice procedure. Works for me. And then reward yourself for your hard work with another beer.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:49 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Yupp.. I agree...

Old 10-14-2018, 12:14 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If a dowel is not available go look through your socket sets and find one that's around .6 diameter and work it up to one that's about .92 in steps using sand paper wrapped around the outside and don't get in a hurry. Make sure you keep to the original barrel channel. I did one too. I cut off the stepped part of the stock. you can round the edges and paint or refinish. Eventually I went to a hogue stock but the wood stock got me by a long time.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:24 PM
awesomealvin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Hmmm, I wonder...does the beer speed things up or slow things down?