Savage 24 S-D Light strikes & Firing pin hole questions - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:50 PM
Snoplop
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage 24 S-D Light strikes & Firing pin hole questions

Having issues with a Savage 24 S-D and light strikes on the upper 22 mag barrel.

The Numrich breakdowns are mislabeled from what I can see - least for this gun. Was the hammer changed or was it this bad straight from the factory?
It is obvious someone has fiddled with this several times which gives me pause wondering which parts are correct. Typical of an old gun and an owner with unsolved issues and a dull screwdriver.
Only easy way I can differentiate this model from others is the trigger assembly is all in one. Has mouse trap coil springs on it.

One thing led to another on this- got worse the closer I examined it.
I replaced several damaged parts including the firing pin. Made matters worse. Fires every 2nd shot now.

The face (hammer striker side) of the firing pin it came with was round (and had no spring). Evidence of galling and had a lip on the lower edge from lousy hammer positioning. The lower edge of the pin was snagging on the hole entrance so figured it needed replacing and a spring.

The new proper firing pin according to the breakdown, has the lower portion shaved off and has a spring. Same basic shape as the original shotgun firing pin.

The lack of a Round face or lower lip exacerbated the issue- hammer has less surface area to smack and barely contacts the lower edge.

After that trial I removed the pin to look at the hole from the hammer side. As you can see, the firing pin hole is elongated or has a ramp gouged out on the inside from the repeated low strikes on the pin face causing it to tilt.

My question is what is the fix? There are numerous accounts of light strike issues. None of the information I see addresses a good remedy for this configuration.

Seems like the hammer selector could be shaved (this has the barrel selector on the hammer) allowing it to rotate higher to center the strike.

Other options are to put the old round faced pin back in it but would still need the hammer strike centered. And the hole needs to be fixed..groan.. What a lousy design..

Saw some bolt firing pin hole repairs involve reaming, threading an insert then re-drilling the hole.

You can see where the hammer has struck the new firing pin- barely catches the lower edge of it so thats not going to work without more head scratching.

Drat - just uploaded the pictures in backwards order-

Hammer selector - can see the contact area.

Original Firing pins for the shotgun (left) & rimfire (right). Notice the shotgun pin is the same half faced looking pin as the new one. Only difference is the shape of the primer striker.

Vertical orientation of original Firing pins for the shotgun (left) & rimfire (right)

And the gouged out hole - New rimfire pin on the left- original on the right
Attached Images
File Type: png Firing Pin Hole.PNG (169.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png Firing pins .PNG (363.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Hammer selector.jpg (95.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Original shotgun and rimfire Firing pins .jpg (182.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Vertical view of original firing pins.jpg (150.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Snoplop; 04-19-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:04 PM
ky-n

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't know what you can do about the worn hole other than try to find someone to put a bushing in, as for the light strikes here is a link on fixing light strikes. http://www.cylindersmith.com/savage24/misfire.html
Old 04-23-2018, 07:38 PM
Snoplop
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Saw the light strike fix- figures it is for a different configuration.

Talked with a gunsmith yesterday - his suggestion is just do a quick and easy repair. Make a new firing pin that fits the existing hole so it doesn't tilt and call it good.
We will try that first and hope for the best.
Thank for the reply