Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Bucks Owin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
82 gr .358 LWC

Saw a used Lee aluminum bullet mold for this bullet at the local smokepole hangout and wondered if anyone has had any experience with it? It's a stubby little plain base bullet, 2 lube grooves. I'm thinking it may be a good economical (lead wise) plinking bullet for my daughter's S&W 6" Combat Magnum. Think I'll buy it to play around with....

Anyone?

Dennis
Old 10-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Bucks Owin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks Owin
Saw a used Lee aluminum bullet mold for this bullet at the local smokepole hangout and wondered if anyone has had any experience with it? It's a stubby little plain base bullet, 2 lube grooves. I'm thinking it may be a good economical (lead wise) plinking bullet for my daughter's S&W 6" Combat Magnum. Think I'll buy it to play around with....

Anyone?

Dennis
Cast a few bullets with this last night. Lee aluminum mold worked great as usual. I sure like Lee molds, easy to get good results. Turns out there's 1 grease groove, 1 crimping groove. Bullets average 80 grs, I'm thinking about messing with a 160 gr duplex load as well as a light recoil "plinking" load....(2 bullets, 1 case)
Old 11-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Bucks Owin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Drug up this old thread for an update, have been having some success with it. Using PMC .357 cases with 4.0 grs Green Dot and a 1/4" cork wad under the little 82 gr pill tumbled in Lee Alox. (This decreases case volume and gives me more uniform velocities) I also tumble the cork wads in Lee's Liquid alox and they seem to do a good job of wiping the bore out with each shot as the barrel stays spotless. Average velocity is in the 750 fps range with accuracy around 2" @ 25 yds. I'm going to try a little more "push" since leading is non-existent at this point. I think perhaps Unique may be more suitable as velocity goes up. One thing for sure they are economical to cast and shoot!

Any thoughts appreciated,

Dennis

PS: The "duplex load" didn't work out especially well, both bullets went pretty much in the same hole rather than the dispersion I had in mind.....

Last edited by Bucks Owin; 11-20-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2005, 03:46 PM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Dean Grennell (long time handloading guru and editer of Gun World) used to load them in duplex loads. Seems to me they would seperate about 2" at 25 yards. Maybe try some wax paper or something in between them. If memory serves he even tried 3 in the .357 Maximum case. Keep trying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 11-20-2005, 05:16 PM
Bucks Owin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent
Dean Grennell (long time handloading guru and editer of Gun World) used to load them in duplex loads. Seems to me they would seperate about 2" at 25 yards. Maybe try some wax paper or something in between them. If memory serves he even tried 3 in the .357 Maximum case. Keep trying.
I think you may be right, maybe I'll try a thin wad between the two bullets. In the meantime the plinking load is looking good at least. Recoil is nil which is appreciated by the wife and kids....

Thanks,

Dennis

Last edited by Bucks Owin; 11-20-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:45 PM
nemohunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
95% (77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent
nah that was the tuna can bullets 60 odd grains two in a .38, three in a .357 mag, and four in a .357 max. i believe he reamed out a .357 mag to take the max cases. keep
Old 11-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Bucks Owin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
These 82 gr are a sort of "tall tuna can".... Apparently this mold is no longer made, at least it's not in the catalog any more. I think it was probably intended for the .380 Auto. Bullets drop from the mold at .358" so I don't bother sizing, just tumble lube and load! Handy for making a lot of "plinkers"....

Dennis
Old 11-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Larry Burchfield
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
357 loads

You might try some TiteGroup powder. Its susposed to give good ignition without any kind of filler or wading in the case. I use it in my 38spec loads and it seems to work fine.

Larry
Old 11-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Bucks Owin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Burchfield
You might try some TiteGroup powder. Its susposed to give good ignition without any kind of filler or wading in the case. I use it in my 38spec loads and it seems to work fine.

Larry

Thanks Larry, I may try some. Thing is, I've got a LOT of Green Dot, 700X, PB etc laying around from my trapshooting days that I'd like to put to use. Green Dot looks promising, gonna try 4.5 grs of it today. I've had good results in the past using it to power 148 gr wadcutters.....

Dennis
Old 11-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Larry Burchfield

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Powder

I try to use all of the older powder that I have to save a little money. I ran out of all the old powder that I had so I had to try something new. I found out about titegroup from some cowboy shooters and some IPSC shooters.

Good luck
Larry
Old 11-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Bucks Owin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update...

For those who may be interested in the ongoing experiments with this lil' bullet.....

Raising the velocity has helped some, I'm using 4.5 grs of Green Dot now and getting around 950 fps. Group size is around 2.5" @ 25 yds. Tried a mag primer as there seems to be unburned powder in the bore but all that did was give another 25 fps with no change in group OR unburned powder. Last time out I seated the bullet flush with the case mouth which seemed to help accuracy slightly....

Next step is gonna be weighing bullets for uniformity. They're a little tricky to cast and the mold has some wear. Actually 2.5" isn't bad for a "plinker"....

FWIW,

Dennis
Old 11-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Larry Burchfield

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
You might try a heavier crimp on it
Larry
Old 11-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Bucks Owin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Burchfield
You might try a heavier crimp on it
Larry
Have tried a couple variations of crimp. (And I assume you mean in regards to the unburned powder?) It's kind of a "toss up", seated flush with the case mouth and a slight crimp gives very slightly more uniform velocity (but still some unburned powder) and lightly crimped in the crimp groove gives slightly better accuracy. (Probably from the front band not being deformed and better able to pilot the bullet...)

Good suggestion, thanks!

Dennis

BTW I had it backwards in the previous post. I meant flush seating gives more uniform velocity NOT better accuracy. My typing lags behind my thinking! (Although neither are all that fast... )

Last edited by Bucks Owin; 11-30-2005 at 12:04 PM.