Sudden 2-3 moa POI shift high - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-24-2018, 07:50 PM
GSSP
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2010
Location: 
Near the mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon, Utah
Posts: 
88
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sudden 2-3 moa POI shift high



Log in to see fewer ads
Few weeks back, I competed in our regional NLR22 match with my Kidd; PRS style shooting with 22's from 25 to 200'ish yards. Day before the match, I check my impacts at every distance. It's "spot-on". Saturday morning, just before the match. I do it again since the temps were 20 deg cooler. Again, spot on. Nation wide, my scores are typically in the top 10 shooters. By the end of the match, I'm in 29th place. WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED? I did notice on some of the targets, my impact were high. Three days later, I take my rifle to my range and find my impacts, wether shot from 25 or 107 yds are 2-3 moa high, this with a dirty barrel. I clean the barrel and find the same, 2-3 moa high impacts. I left the range scratching my head. Two nights back, I cleaned my rifle and barrel to bare metal. When I was disassembling the rifle, I noticed the front action screw, which I torque to 10 inch lbs, was loose.

Do you think the loose front action screw is the 'cause for my sudden match loosing 2-3 moa high impacts?

Went back out this afternoon, zeroed my rifle and using only my Shooter ballistic app at 107 yds, I run 11 rounds into a sub 1.35" group with the farthest shot being 1" from POA. This, in a 5-10 mph full value wind.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 03-24-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-24-2018, 07:57 PM
Sophia's Avatar
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Raggedy Edge of the 'Verse
Posts: 
22,104
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
The loose screw is almost certainly the culprit. Either that or someone gave your elevation knob a spin when you weren't looking.
Quote:
Went back out this afternoon, zeroed my rifle and using only my Shooter ballistic app at 107 yds, I run 11 rounds into a sub 1.35" group with the farthest shot being 1" from POA. This, in a 5-10 mph full value wind.
Nice shooting!
__________________
Lonelier Than This
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-24-2018, 09:33 PM
GSSP
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2010
Location: 
Near the mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon, Utah
Posts: 
88
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tried and tried to post a pic of the group from ************ and can't get it to work.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-24-2018, 09:44 PM
Sophia's Avatar
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Raggedy Edge of the 'Verse
Posts: 
22,104
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
That site is blacklisted here because of problems it has had in the past with virii, hence the ******* that is keeping it from working properly when trying to post photos from there.
__________________
Lonelier Than This
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-25-2018, 02:36 AM
rc.

Join Date: 
Feb 2003
Location: 
ca
Posts: 
3,311
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
slipping scope

If your scope slides back and forth, the point of impact will rise or fall. I believe when it slides to the rear the point of impact will rise. This happens most often on a dovetail mount but can happen if the scope screws are loose too and the entire scope shifts in the rings.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-25-2018, 07:15 AM
elh0102

Join Date: 
Nov 2014
Location: 
North Carolina
Posts: 
1,310
TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSP View Post
Do you think the loose front action screw is the 'cause for my sudden match loosing 2-3 moa high impacts?

Went back out this afternoon, zeroed my rifle and using only my Shooter ballistic app at 107 yds, I run 11 rounds into a sub 1.35" group with the farthest shot being 1" from POA. This, in a 5-10 mph full value wind.

Alan
Well, 20 MOA would require something like .020" shift, which seems like a lot, but I guess the effect of recoil would enter in somehow. But, it seems like you have answered your own question. I expect that was the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-25-2018, 09:46 AM
Sophia's Avatar
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
Join Date: 
Dec 2006
Location: 
Raggedy Edge of the 'Verse
Posts: 
22,104
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
If your scope slides back and forth, the point of impact will rise or fall. I believe when it slides to the rear the point of impact will rise. This happens most often on a dovetail mount but can happen if the scope screws are loose too and the entire scope shifts in the rings.
...but the scope usually goes forward since it is the rifle recoiling rearward while the scope's inertia holds it in place, relative to the rest of the universe instead of relative to the rifle.
__________________
Lonelier Than This
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x