Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:37 AM
rando842003

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
SA-22 SHORT QUESTIONS

Hi Friends,

I have the opportunity to acquire a used Browning SA-22 through trade. It fires shorts only. I had a standard SA-22 a few years ago and enjoyed it, however I am a bit hesitant when it comes to the shorts only. I thought if nothing else I could acquire it and trade or sell it for something else. Could you answer a few questions?

Accuracy? The one I had in long rifle was very accurate.

How picky are they with ammo? My choices in ammo would be very limited where I live. I would basically have to buy whatever they happened to have in stock (if they even have it).

Ammo costs? I have actually never bought or shot 22 shorts so I wondered how much more expensive the ammo is in comparison to long rifle.

Ability to squirrel hunt with them? If I get and keep rifle, I would like to squirrel hunt with it at some point.

If I did get it and decided to get rid of it, would be hard to do so? I wondered since it was a shorts only rifle I might have a hard time selling or trading.

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Japanese or Belgian?

I think that shorts are very desirable.That said, with new Japanese versions being blown out by CDNN, the market is probably depressed for used ones.
A Belgian gun would appeal to a different buyer, those more into collecting.
Whatever you have,condition would also be a big determinant.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando842003 View Post
Hi Friends,

I have the opportunity to acquire a used Browning SA-22 through trade. It fires shorts only. I had a standard SA-22 a few years ago and enjoyed it, however I am a bit hesitant when it comes to the shorts only. I thought if nothing else I could acquire it and trade or sell it for something else. Could you answer a few questions?

Accuracy? The one I had in long rifle was very accurate.

How picky are they with ammo? My choices in ammo would be very limited where I live. I would basically have to buy whatever they happened to have in stock (if they even have it).

Ammo costs? I have actually never bought or shot 22 shorts so I wondered how much more expensive the ammo is in comparison to long rifle.

Ability to squirrel hunt with them? If I get and keep rifle, I would like to squirrel hunt with it at some point.

If I did get it and decided to get rid of it, would be hard to do so? I wondered since it was a shorts only rifle I might have a hard time selling or trading.

Thanks!
On these lovely little shorts-only SAs, you can bet Camster and I will always respond .
I won't comment on the value, since Camster has addressed that, but my shorts-only SA is my go-to backyard squirrel rifle. Using the CCI Short Target load, the one I see available most here, any squirrel in my yard is toast, and the rifle sounds like a semi-auto pellet gun, perfect for a follow-up shot if needed. One can also double-tap a squirrel with a steady rest. I get about 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 25 yards, which I believe represents the limitation of the ammunition, not the rifle.

I've done quite a lot of experimentation with shorts, using shorts-specific chambers and rifling twists, and none of the loads currently available, or previously available in the recent past, will shoot much better than the above-cited groups. That includes Eley and RWS match loads intended for rapid-fire pistol matches in the olympics. The various high speed loads with the same 29 grain pill also shoot and function just fine, with about the same accuracy, so they are an option for greater range and killing power, although they are louder and still do not equal a .22 LR 40 grain in killing power or range.

For my specific purposes, the CCI Short Target is perfect, so I just stock up on that. One advantage the shorts-only SA holds is the magazine capacity of 15 or 16. For taking non-shooters out to plink, there is nothing better, in my view. On the downside, the longer barrel, which I am told by Browning is for noise suppression, will not allow the use of the various take-down cases. I never take mine down, so not an issue for me, but you should be aware of that.

Good luck.

TBR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 05:15 PM
jerryd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Here... SW Oregon; CCI Target Shorts go for approx. $10/hundred and CCI CB Shorts go for around $9/hundred. If stateside You can order them through target sports and others.

In regards to how picky with ammo... It seems that between remington, norma, aguila & CCI it does not matter which gun I shoot shorts in, CCI is always the best... with CCI Target Shorts usually shooting the best. After trying several brands I am just going to stick with CCI. CCI is the most easlily obtained around here anyway.

Second 'tbr's statement about how quiet CCI Target Shorts are, CCI CB Shorts are just a touch quieter. Both I feel are hearing safe out of the 22 inch barrel.

Here's CDNN's website to give You an idea of what new ones go for (they also have walnut);

https://www.cdnnsports.com/browning-...U#.Wqg7TujwbIU

My only regret is I waited so long to pick one up.

Jerry

Last edited by jerryd; 03-13-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:19 PM
A square 10
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i would prefer a belgian , but i would never turn a japanese away
Old 03-13-2018, 08:36 PM
scott36854

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i am in the market for one if it is belgium made. so if you decide not to keep it, i'd like a shot at it.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:29 AM
rando842003

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks for the responses. I decided to get the SA 22. I traded it a Ruger 10/22 takedown for it. It is a Japanese one made in 81'. It has some honest wear, but appears to be in good shape just dirty. The previous owner threw in a scope base for it. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:21 PM
scott36854

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
they are really easy to clean. i bought a fairly inexpensive ultrasonic cleaner a few weeks ago. it makes cleaning gun parts too easy. i feel like i am cheating when i clean them now.

i am sure that some on here will frown at this, but i field strip it and put it in the cleaner, even the receiver. i have an air compressor that i use to blow it out with when finished.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:27 PM
jerryd
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rando842003 View Post
Thanks for the responses. I decided to get the SA 22. I traded it a Ruger 10/22 takedown for it.

Rando,

That was a heck of a deal on Your part.

I bought one of the Williams scope bases (approx. $12) just so I could see how it shot the various short ammo I had, and then mounted a skinner arperture rear and a 1/16" bead front sight on mine. As I prefer the trimmer lines (sans scope). Sighted it to hit on at 50 yards with the irons.

enjoy,

Jerry