Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:51 PM
redear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
browning 40 gr. jacketed hollow point

I was in my best lgs the other day and they had quite a few flavors of 22wmr, and some of it was something I had never seen before, It was browning brand, in a transparent plastic box, that was smokey colored making it hard to see the rounds real good. It was 40 gr. jacketed hollow point and although I couldn't be positive, I think it looked like the old Winchester jhp that everyone loved. I have bought some recent browning 22lr. and have been disappointed so I was thinking I would check with you all first.The bullet may have had a slightly pointier profile to it's frontal taper, but like I said the box is smokey in color and one would really need to open the box to inspect the rounds.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:13 PM
fish4food

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There was a post about this ammo a while back. The ammo was on sale so I bought a few boxes. Then later on the same post someone mentioned the browning ammo is just relabeled Winchester. Which I hate! Sure enough opened the boxes and look every bit like the old Winchester JHP. Go to the range and shot 100 rounds. 17 of which took a second or third primer strike to fire round.

Disappointed in that I spent $ on relabeled Winchester not the results. That has been my only result with Winchester rimfire ammo. Poor performance.

Take that back, the 45JHP is the only Winchester rimfire ammo I have had good luck with.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Soonerbob
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Recently I tried some Winchester JHP (X22MH) on someones recommendation while trying to find something my S/A 164M liked. In the first 15 rounds I had 3 FTF, even after 3 strikes. Enough of a test for me. If the Browning is the same as this Winchester stuff, then no thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2018, 11:24 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I did talk with the Browning ammo guys and they did tell me Olin makes their ammo.

Sorry guys but count me out...some of the old Winchester stuff was ok but in the last five years...not a chance. To many duds and second primer strikes on the 22mag ammo I was using.
Signalman
Old 02-08-2018, 11:45 PM
redear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thanks for the replies, that's all I need to know. May not be the case here but I have seen many factories , plants etc. downsize their workforce in order to gain a better profit and the product and customer suffers. They run a skeleton crew in management and hourly workers and everyone gets so stressed out with the workload that they don't care anymore.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:40 AM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redear View Post
thanks for the replies, that's all I need to know. May not be the case here but I have seen many factories , plants etc. downsize their workforce in order to gain a better profit and the product and customer suffers. They run a skeleton crew in management and hourly workers and everyone gets so stressed out with the workload that they don't care anymore.

Winchester Ammo moved to MS to get away from Ill-annoy's ever higher taxes and union labor. There is bound to be some time getting the new plant employees up to speed, but that time is up, and they're still turning out substandard stuff.
I don't know anyone who is unconditionally happy with the new ammo they're churning out. I'm not having any reliability issues, but it's not especially accurate in any of my rifles, either. I can "live with it" for some purposes, but there are other and better choices.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:00 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Frustrating

Winchester historically was as good to me for accuracy and reliability as Federal and CCI. Recently however like you I've not been happy with the power point 22LR ammo I purchased. Lots of reliability issues in each 100 pack. Not really understanding why the sudden change in performance I came across a post about Winchester moving production from Illinois to Mississippi.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/oli...fda6d770b.html

AHHHHHH, now the change in quality makes sense. I believe Remington's big quality decline happened when they moved from New England to Arkansas. I have used some of the U headstamp Dupont Remington ammo and it is surefire, consistent and accurate. I wish Winchester would have changed the headstamp enough to tell where it was made. I do know that some boxes of the 22 magnum super X have SuperX headstamps and some I've had use the W Winchester Western headstamp. Now I'm concerned that 22 magnum Winchester ammo I picked up last year might not be so good. I have been working my way through some older armscore 22 mag and hadn't shot any of that lot of Winchester yet.

While I applaud companies moving to a more second amendment friendly state, and setting up new state of the art equipment with experienced employees, it seems Winchester's motivation was purely economic and that never seems to lead to the quality of anything improving. rc
Old 05-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Ruger1300

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The last time I shot any Winchester 22 mag every other round failed to eject. I had to take a cleaning rod and pound them out. This was the first time I shot the rifle and I thought I had a real lemon until I shot some CCI and it all worked. I sold all of the of the Winchester for what I paid and will never buy it again.

I’m glad I read your post because I was considering some of the Browning ammo. Thanks for saving me some money.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I bought some Winchester 22mag ammo and had to fire a few of them twice for them to work so this browning/Winchester ammo will not be bought my me.

SM
Old 07-07-2018, 09:52 PM
RJM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Man this is not good to hear. Winchester 40 gr. HPs were always my Go-To ammo... I still have about 50 boxes left from bfore the "crisis" and move...

Did just buy some of the Browning ammo and had zero ignition problems with it fired out of three different guns...it was the slowest of the 40s however.

From: S&W Model 18 with a 48 cylinder installed/Ruger S-S Hunter/Marlin 883 19"

Browning 40 gr JHP
1258/1394/1786

This was some of the "old" Winchester HPs...

Winchester Super-X 40 gr. JHP
1274/1444/1862

Hopefully one day quality will get back to what it was...

Bob