Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:05 AM
cebiNg
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathway View Post
I waited a year to receive my Franklin F17, finally receiving it last December. Shot less than a 100 rounds through it couldn't get three rounds out before jamming. What rounds I could shoot, sprayed all over the target, couldn't even two shots to group at all. Was first told by Franklin that it was my scope, couldn't be the rifle. So I changed scope same thing and cycle problems continually got worst. Finally took the rifle back to my gun store in March haven't seen the rifle since then. Was finally told Franklin was rebuilding the parts for the rifle and will be another month. My Brother bought one same time went through two broken cam pins and they finally just sent him two more bolts just in case it brakes again. My son-in-law bought his F17 same time as ours, springs were backwards and cam problems as well. According to my gun store, sounds like there might be a recall coming on the F17. Many problems. They are redesigning parts for the rifle as we speak. Pretty disappointing. Any one else had these problems???
I didn't have any feeding problems, but I did experience a broken cam pin shortly after I created this thread. I was less than impressed with my results when shooting the gun. If it was third of the price, the pill would be easier to swallow, but even then I'd send it back. Mine is also in the hands of Franklin, waiting to be fixed and returned. But in order to get it there I had to go through the supplier whom I purchased it from. I tried talking to Franklin directly, but wasn't getting too far, and received the same response as you did, which was highly disappointing. My experience was that they wanted to sell me a barrel at a discounted rate rather then replace it, hence why I went through the supplier to get the ball rolling, which they did. Shortly there after the gun was on it's way to Nevada. I like the company, and have a few other guns without any problems, but their CS and approach to problems needs some work. As you mentioned, many others have not had any issues with the F17, which is what restores my faith in this product. Hopefully mine is fixed to perform the same.

Chris

Last edited by cebiNg; 08-31-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:31 PM
mvonbeamer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Exclamation

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share my experience with the F-17-L I purchased last August. I shoot at least once a week and was very exited when I got the rifle. My first 50 rounds were great and the next 5o were ok. Then I stated having miss fires. I called the company and they basically said just make sure its clean. To make a long story short, after about 350 rounds, my cam pin broke and bent the piston in the rifle. I clean the gun after every shoot. My problem was miss fires at about 40% of the time once the rifle had more than 100 rounds fired. I sent the rifle back in and 3 months later, they sent it back under warranty repair. I spoke with the gunsmith who stated they had received some cam pins that were not up to speck. Even after getting it back, I continued having failures to fire.

I spoke with Franklin again and got a top notch gun smith who actually took the time to ask me what was going on. He stated not to use a bore snake and to use a 17 brush and clean the chamber thoroughly. I have to admit that if I do that after every shoot, I generally do not have misfires. I regularly shoot no less than 100 rounds at a time and usually not more that 150.

Like most of you I like my F17 and paid a premium for it. I hope I don not have any further problems and right now, I have fired well over 1500 rounds through it. My only complain with Franklin was it took 3 months to fix my rifle that I had for 3 weeks. That was unacceptable.

Good luck.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:07 PM
pathway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just an update, my dealer called and said my F17 was delivered to him yesterday ( after 6 months of having it for repairs) but they didn't send any paperwork on what work was completed. Also, still had the wrong stock on the rifle which I again heard my dealer tell them not to send the rifle back without the right stock installed. They are suppose to send the right stock out right away. This has been a comedy of errors on Franklin's part and no apologies. I get many apologies from my dealer and its not even his fault. I try to give every company the benefit of doubt and hold my opinions but I have to say after all this I'm not sure I can buy or recommend another Franklin rifle again. Mistakes happen but I judge on how they are handled and Franklin has missed badly on this one. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get to the range but will let you know how it shoots when I do.

Thanks, Randy
Old 09-07-2017, 09:22 AM
cmatera

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
They obviously have too much business. I will wait for a better .17 WSM semi auto, especially for the $$ they want. Thank you for the update.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatera View Post
They obviously have too much business. I will wait for a better .17 WSM semi auto, especially for the $$ they want. Thank you for the update.
Some might say its a company's growing pains....most others will say they better fix it because without good customer service they won't have any more growing pains.

Have you checked out the VQs?
Old 09-07-2017, 10:00 AM
B23

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatera View Post
http://www.jardinc.com/jard-j71-1/

Maybe the Jard J71 will work better for you.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:22 AM
MTWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
http://www.jardinc.com/jard-j71-1/

Maybe the Jard J71 will work better for you.
Eric got to shoot this gun recently, hoping for an eval from him....tho I believe this is a direct impingement as opposed to a gas piston. This might make a big difference with dirty rimfire ammo.

Glad I haven't had any issues with my Franklin, tho when I call to speak with them regarding other issues I get really good results.

I honestly don't think I would buy another one from them if I had the kind of troubles you have had with your gun. (Grudge holder and all that I am)
Old 09-07-2017, 09:55 PM
mvonbeamer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Took my f17 to the range today and fired 6 rounds. The next 4 were light primer strikes. I tried to open the action by taking the rear take down pin out and could not open it and noticed the BCG was not completely home. Took it apart and saw the piston rod is bent. Sending it back tomorrow, again. I hope they fix it faster and better this time. I have to admit when it functions properly it has excellent accuracy but I'm tired of the headaches. Wish I would have bought another 5.56 instead.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:04 AM
pathway

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I ordered a 17 WSM lightweight from Volquartsen back in May 2016. I thought it would be nice to have a backup for the Franklin. My son likes the 17WSM as well when we squirrel shoot. The Volquartsen should have been delivered by May this year but they had trouble getting barrels so now its October but their customer service has been great especially compared with Franklin. Kelli at Volquartsen was really helpful and responsive all through the process. As long as I receive the rifle in time to sight in for squirrel shooting next February I'm good. Usually don't spend that kinda of money on rifles but 60 years old and thought I deserved a couple of nice rifles (as long as the Franklin works).
Old 09-21-2017, 10:45 PM
cebiNg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey everybody, just a quick update. I received my upper back today. Upon opening the box, I began the inspection process of the issues I sent it to Franklin with. They replaced the broken cam, and adjusted the piston. They also fired 10 round through it to test function, which worked fine according to them. Also, the tech said that there were no issues in regards to the "round throwing" I was experiencing when trying to get it to group. They did not change the barrel, which concerns me. I doubt the main issue is fixed, but this Saturday will clarify that when I go to the range. I'm hoping it is fixed, but my hope is waining at this point. The verdict is still out until I can prove or disprove the issues. Stay tuned.

Chris
Old 09-21-2017, 11:24 PM
Lastshot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are going to freaking LOSE all their business with poor products and poor customer service. I am looking mighty hard at the Jard.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:24 AM
MTWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastshot View Post
They are going to freaking LOSE all their business with poor products and poor customer service. I am looking mighty hard at the Jard.
How hard can you look at it? I've only seen pictures. No reviews that I know of......You might jump out of the frying pan only to land in the fire

My brother and I both have the franklin and have had no issues whatsoever....and I believe Eric has 3 and has never ran into problems. That being said, if I did have problems and got the run around like some of you guys are saying, I'd be looking elsewhere as well....but the Jard is an unknown at this point (and the volq is not a left hand friendly gun)
Old 09-22-2017, 07:52 PM
mvonbeamer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have to be totally honest and admit, I'm totally fed Franklin's customer service. This is obviously a F17 problem. I have several friends who have FA 5.56 and totally love them with no problems.

I have absolutely no idea when I will get this rifle back and if it will function correctly. Two piston failures in less than one year is not what I would call reliable. The two biggest issues are the amount of time it takes them to fix the problem and the second is when you call they always ask "Did you use a spray or foaming cleaners". I find it insulting that they seem to always question what we did to the rifle and not what the rifle did. For the record, I never use spray cleaners on any of my weapons. I will give them one more time to make it right. When ever I get it back, I will shoot the dog crap out of it instead of babying it. If it breaks again, I'm done.

To anyone looking to buy one, beware. I promise when I get it back I will give an honest opinion on it. Like I said in the past, my rifle was a tack driver. Easily less 1 MOA or less. Reliability is my issues.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:55 PM
mvonbeamer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CebiNg, now that I got that off my chest, my rant is done. Just FYI, I shoot mostly 20 grain rounds.. I have found the 25 grain are less accurate. That's just my two cents.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:00 AM
REvan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathway View Post
Yes, I ordered a 17 WSM lightweight from Volquartsen back in May 2016. I thought it would be nice to have a backup for the Franklin. My son likes the 17WSM as well when we squirrel shoot. The Volquartsen should have been delivered by May this year but they had trouble getting barrels so now its October but their customer service has been great especially compared with Franklin. Kelli at Volquartsen was really helpful and responsive all through the process. As long as I receive the rifle in time to sight in for squirrel shooting next February I'm good. Usually don't spend that kinda of money on rifles but 60 years old and thought I deserved a couple of nice rifles (as long as the Franklin works).
My experience with VQ support has been supurb and I have not had to send the rifle back to them, only about 1000 rounds through it so far. After about 350 rounds it will start to have failure to eject and failure to fires until it gets a thorough cleaning. I always take my B Mag as a back-up for the VQ since we will easily fire 800+ rounds a day when rat hunting. Rimfire semi autos are dirty little actions.