ordered a Mark II FV SR - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
ordered a Mark II FV SR

I'd owned a couple Savage rimfires a few years ago . They shot good , but both had extraction issues . Hope they've fixed that issue.
Ive been a CZ and Custom 10/22 fan .
I'm hoping this Savage will become the beginning of long time relationship .
Figured the Mark II FV SR would be a good one to start with . Especially since it comes already threaded for when the law changes and has the Accutrigger.
If it shoots like it has potential, I plan on adding a Boyd's stock . Kirby
Old 07-08-2017, 09:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Congrats on the new rifle.

I ordered a B22 Magnum FVSR. It is the new model that was released late last year. I received it yesterday and it looks great. The stock is plastic but is very sturdy with very little flex. It has a more ergonomic grip compared to the older FVSR. The barrels on the new FVSR are threaded in and they are held with a barrel nut similar to their center-fire line. The new models also have a cone breech eliminating the need for ejector slots.

The best feature of the new model is the newly designed magazines. They are a box magazine similar to Ruger. They are the same magazines used in the A22 and A17 models. I had an older savage with the thin metal mags and they always gave me trouble even after doing the recommended tweaks found on this site.

I also like that they moved the safety to the rear tang because I a am a lefty.

I am sorry if you already were aware of this info. I haven't seen much on these rifles and just wanted to share.

Last edited by JDouglas; 07-08-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typo, clarity
Old 07-08-2017, 09:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDouglas View Post
Congrats on the new rifle.

I ordered a B22 Magnum FVSR. It is the new model that was released late last year. I received it yesterday and it looks great. The stock is plastic but is very sturdy with very little flex. It has a more ergonomic grip compared to the older FVSR. The barrels on the new FVSR are threaded in and they are held with a barrel nut similar to their center-fire line. The new models also have a cone breech eliminating the need for ejector slots.

The best feature of the new model is the newly designed magazines. They are a box magazine similar to Ruger. They are the same magazines used in the A22 and A17 models. I had an older savage with the thin metal mags and they always gave me trouble even after doing the recommended tweaks found on this site.

I also like that they moved the safety to the rear tang because I a am a lefty.

I am sorry if you already were aware of this info. I haven't seen much on these rifles and just wanted to share.
Thanks , I've been looking at the FVSR for a couple of years and thought it was time to try one .
After ordering I found info on the newer B22 FVSR and thought I might have messed up . But , after I thought about it . The older FVSR will do to get my feet wet and give me a chance to compare a proven Savage with my CZ's . I hope it kicks their butts . It bothers me that I can outshoot my CZ's most of the time , with my custom 10/22's. Kirby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2017, 10:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I know what you mean, I am also a CZ and Ruger fan. With a little work you can really get the custom 10/22 shooting great. I hope I didn't make a mistake buying the new model. I thought I would wait and let others test the waters but decided to jump right in. I am seeing now that no one offers an aftermarket stock for it yet.

Do you plan on customizing the FVSR? I have seen some fine shooting fvsr rifles. I had the pleasure of shooting my friends at some prairie dogs and it did not disappoint.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
If it's a shooter , I plan on upgrading the stock .
I'm having second thoughts about ordering the one I ordered .
from what I've read it's a crap shoot worst with than with CZ's . You either get a good one or you don't .
I read about the same thing about Ruger Americans too .
Guess we'll have to wait and see .
I'm sure it won't be long before Boyd's will have a stock for the B-22 . Kirby
Old 07-08-2017, 11:16 PM
CHood

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have not seen any reports of poor accuracy. I have the same model and it shoots fine at 50 yards.

I got the MKII just for the price difference which was around 80 bucks.

I now see the magnum B22 FVSR is 250 at buds and that is very tempting.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:56 PM
skyrep
US Marines Veteran Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have the MK II FV with the bull barrel.. it's a take driver right out of the box. All l added was a good scope and it's eating all the ammo i put through. Started at 25 (great), at 50 yards still a track driver. Went to 100 yards and now i have to experiment with the right ammo for it.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:18 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby999 View Post
If it's a shooter , I plan on upgrading the stock .
I'm having second thoughts about ordering the one I ordered .
from what I've read it's a crap shoot worst with than with CZ's . You either get a good one or you don't .
I read about the same thing about Ruger Americans too .
Guess we'll have to wait and see .
I'm sure it won't be long before Boyd's will have a stock for the B-22 . Kirby
It really is a crap shoot when it comes to rimfire rifles with some makers being better than others. I have only owned one Savage rimfire prior to this and it was a stainless 22 Mag sporter. It was a DUD for sure. The magazines wouldn't feed reliably even after doing all the tweaks suggested here. Accuracy was poor so I had it cut and recrowned with a beautiful 11 deg target crown. Accuracy was still terrible. I moved on to a Ruger American in 22 mag after reading rave reviews here. I got a dud again. I then got a CZ 512 and winner winner chicken dinner that thing flat out shoots tiny groups with all ammo I've tried. I had the barrel threaded for a suppressor but found that the semi auto action suppressed throws hot ashes into my face since I'm a lefty. So now I'm giving Savage another try as a suppressor host and hope I get lucky!
Old 07-09-2017, 12:26 AM
Vasquez956

TPC Rating: 
95% (18)
Mines shoots quite for being in the plastic stock still. Dime to nickel size groups at 50 yards with Aguila rifle match. I have not tried any true match ammo thru it yet but dont really plan too either as I just hunt with it. The mags kinda suck if you get bad ones also.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:35 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Anybody know for sure where these rifles are made?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:44 AM
Dogfly001
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Anybody know for sure where these rifles are made?
Canada
Old 07-09-2017, 12:46 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfly001 View Post
Canada
Thanks for that. In the old Lakefield plant, I assume. I was wondering if the design changes were indicative of a move.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:29 PM
mmpsteve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's my FV-SR, only in 22 Magnum. I swapped stocks before I ever shot it, and the target shown is from the 1st range visit shooting the 45 grain Hornady load at 50 yards. It shoots several other loads nearly as well, but it likes the 45 grain the best. That's 5 rounds on the target.
Good luck with yours.
Steve

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage FVSR.jpg (61.3 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpg hex1.jpg (82.8 KB, 428 views)

Last edited by mmpsteve; 07-10-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Looks like you got a good shooter . I'd settle for groups like that .
I plan on ordering a different stock if I can decide which one .
I ordered a couple extra 5 round mags today from Midway while they were on sale . Kirby
Old 07-15-2017, 12:27 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Picked up my rifle this morning.
What does Savage put in those barrels ? It took me over thirty patches and three times brushing the bore with Hoppes to get it clean .
The trigger out of the box breaks at a consistent 2# . Really surprised me .
Can't wait to get it out and run some ammo through it .
Got to resize my photo before posting . Kirby

Last edited by kirby999; 07-15-2017 at 12:30 PM.