Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:22 PM
JDouglas

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Suppressed CZ 512

After waiting almost 9 months I finally received my AAC Element 2 suppressor. I had my CZ 512 22 WMR cut back to 16 1/2 inches and threaded. I am a left handed shooter and now when I shoot the 512 suppressed it throws hot embers back into my face. It is bad enough that I am considering selling my 512. It doesn't do this without the can. I really don't want to sell it after refinishing the stock and paying for the barrel work. It is also an accurate rifle and I don't like letting those go. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this?

Last edited by JDouglas; 03-13-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:32 PM
Aksarben73

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Don't sell it

May I suggest keeping the 512 (sounds like you have a lot invested in it) and removing the suppressor. Pick up a 452 or 455 in 22 WMR with threaded barrel. A good bolt action will optimism your suppressors performance. I don't know of a way to modify a 512 to prevent your situation.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 PM
Crowshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Running Subs or HV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2017, 10:56 PM
openspaces
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDouglas View Post
After waiting almost 9 months I finally received my AAC Element 2 suppressor. I had my CZ 512 22 WMR cut back to 16 1/2 inches and threaded. I am a left handed shooter and now when I shoot the 512 suppressed it throws hot embers back into my face. It is bad enough that I am considering selling my 512. It doesn't do this without the can. I really don't want to sell it after refinishing the stock and paying for the barrel work. It is also an accurate rifle and I don't like letting those go. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this?
Sorry to hear about the issues but not sure there is a solution for your issue. Last I checked there aren't any good sources of .22wmr subsonic (it essentially would be a .22lr at that point)

The blowback is an unfortunate reality with suppressors. Shooting a semi, left handed is kind of the perfect storm.

Not what you want to hear but I think your best bet is to enjoy the looks and handling and forget the option of shooting suppressed/left handed
Old 03-14-2017, 06:36 AM
JMK
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You're not the first lefty with this problem.

The 512 is a blowback operated semi-auto. The suppressor increases the backpressure, which is vented to your face as the case is extracted.

I have no experience modifying the CZ 512 for use with a suppressor; however, some common principles apply.

To reduce the effects of hot gas emitting from the ejection port, you can 1) seek to reduce the pressure at which the breech opens, or 2) manage the hot gas.

For 1):
A) Removing the suppressor obviously works... but that's not the point. Different suppressors have different operating characteristics, and if you have buddies that will let you run their can, you may find an alternative that creates less negative effect.
B) A heavier bolt will delay the breech opening, allowing pressure to drop prior to extraction.
C) A stiffer recoil spring will have a similar effect as B).
D) You may also experiment with different ammunition, as powder formulations and speeds give different operating pressure profiles, which may or may not affect chamber pressure at the time the breech opens. This is a matter of how a particular ammo works with your can.

For 2):
A) You may consider fabricating some type of deflector to route the gas away from your face.

Just a couple of thoughts on addressing the matter. I'm curious to hear what you try as well as other's experiences with this.

JMK
Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 AM
JamesInAustralia

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Winchester Australia currently makes subsonic 22 Mag. https://www.winchesteraustralia.com....ducts/22MSUB45

Last edited by JamesInAustralia; 03-14-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 03-14-2017, 08:33 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I was thinking of fabricatin a deflector to shield your face from the shells and gasses. Something like what the Remington Speedmasters have.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:52 AM
Crowshot

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Agree that sub 22 mag defeats the purpose, adds cost and isn't widely available. Then the trifecta of issues in this particular case don't make for easy solutions.
Honestly, I hate to say it but I'd just pull the can and find a nice muzzle break or thread protector and put this can on another host while you research and decide if another 6-8 month wait and the cost is in the cards, but even then you have no guarantees.
If this were happening with a 9mm you could jump to a 45 can and often this cures the issue with little to no increase in sound level. I think in this situation you'll need to do a good bit of research, but may be able to find another rimfire can that creates less back pressure. Again, the downside as you know is time and money with NFA items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2017, 07:43 PM
JDouglas

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Suppressed CZ 512

Thanks for the replies. I am interested in seeing if I can alter the timing of the bolt. I'm currently running a titanium charging handle. I also have a steel charging handle that Is quite a bit heavier. I will give it a try and see if the heavier bolt handle can affect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by JDouglas; 03-14-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:20 PM
JDouglas

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I have made changes to my 512. I had previously lightened the hammer spring. I put a new hammer spring in because I think it may slow the bolt down a bit. I also switched to the heavier steel charging handle hoping to slow the bolt down even more. I added a skull to the handle. I figure the skull may deflect some of the particles and add a little more weight. I kinda like the tacky look of it with my X-Sight and suppressor. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but plan to take it out on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2017, 05:03 AM
smike
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JDouglas-- FWIW, I saw a product announcement for the Winchester subsonic 22 mag ammunition the other day. No idea how soon it will be available. I'm not going to argue the pros or cons, except to say that it may help with your blowback issue.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:38 AM
cmatera

TPC Rating: 
50% (1)
Good to know, I may have issues too when my Sparrow SS gets out of jail on my CZ 512 tactical. If I have that issue, the first thing I will try is a .223 shell deflector that mounts to the Picatinny rail. I already have a couple laying around