Old 03-02-2017, 06:13 PM
Jammer22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger 77 .30-06 Scope Question

Hi Everyone,

New Guy here, go easy please

I have inherited a Ruger Mk 77 in .30-06 from my Uncle and am looking to scope it. The rifle came with a brand new never mounted Leupold 6x with a heavy duplex reticle.

Don't want to look this very generous gift horse in the mouth, would I be OK with the 6x or should I sell the scope and find something more suitable?

I currently live in Florida but will be moving to the PNW within the next 5 years.

Thanks in advance

Brian
Old 03-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Jammer22...sir to start with to RFC...the best place on the net.

The main question for us out here is to ask you what are you going to use this rifle for ?

Second do you have a price range for a new scope ?

We are here to help.

Signalman
Old 03-02-2017, 06:59 PM
TheDuke

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a 4x12 on my 30-06 for about 3 years. Perfect scope for half of the hunting I do. I'm changing it for a 2x7. The only time I use the higher ranges is to verify if it's a doe or buck. I recently purchased higher power binoculars so I'll no longer need the higher powers to glass or check for antlers etc. 90% of my shots are on the lowest setting. But I hunt in North West Kansas. 500 yard shots aren't uncommon but I can't shoot that far so a 2x7 is perfect for my hunting and shooting abilities. Thick woods you'll want lower power but fixed scopes are awesome for thick woods and quick shots.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalman1 View Post
Jammer22...sir to start with to RFC...the best place on the net.

The main question for us out here is to ask you what are you going to use this rifle for ?

Second do you have a price range for a new scope ?

We are here to help.

Signalman
HELLO Mr. Signal!

Well here in Florida it'll be Hogs. Out west? Who knows!

I have the 6x Leupold (free with the rifle and never mounted) So that is the cheapest option (is there a cheap option when it comes to good scopes?)

Thanks for the welcome!

Brian
Old 03-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
I had a 4x12 on my 30-06 for about 3 years. Perfect scope for half of the hunting I do. I'm changing it for a 2x7. The only time I use the higher ranges is to verify if it's a doe or buck. I recently purchased higher power binoculars so I'll no longer need the higher powers to glass or check for antlers etc. 90% of my shots are on the lowest setting. But I hunt in North West Kansas. 500 yard shots aren't uncommon but I can't shoot that far so a 2x7 is perfect for my hunting and shooting abilities. Thick woods you'll want lower power but fixed scopes are awesome for thick woods and quick shots.
THANK YOU! I'm not good enough to shoot anything at 500 yards! I like the idea of a fixed power scope also and I have a pretty good one already.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:42 PM
TheDuke

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
THANK YOU! I'm not good enough to shoot anything at 500 yards! I like the idea of a fixed power scope also and I have a pretty good one already.
Don't worry neither am I haha. Yeah I've shot a few fixed powered rifles and they're sweet! The best part is once you set the eye relief you're done. In theory it should be from the get go but sometimes when you zoom in you get tunnel vision. I think you owe it to your self and unlce to mount that bad boy and give it a try out. It's a Leupold. They don't really go down in value if they're treated well.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:55 PM
Wrench Man

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd mount that scope up and try it out, you might just like it!?
My M77 30-06 has an older Bushnell 3-9 ScopeChief VI (Bausch & Lomb) on top.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:46 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
From the terrain I've seen of Florida . . .

. . . I'm guessing that 6x may be a little too much power. I think I would drop down to a fixed 4x. I'm betting someone would trade your Leupold 6x for a similar 4x pretty quickly.

My personal go-to has a 2.5x - 8x, but 99% of the time, its on 5x, it may as well be a fixed power. My other deer rifle has a fixed 4x and lacks for nothing - was able to use on 250 yard shot on doe with no issues whatsoever.

Good luck with which ever you choose.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:22 AM
eastbank
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
i put a 6x42 leupold on a older remington 725 i bought in 3006 and after sighting it in at 200 yards, i started shooting at a 18" gong at 500 yards. it took me three adjustments in elevation to hit it and after that 5 out of 5 hits from a good rest. eastbank.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Model 52
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Way back in the day before the earth cooled, it was generally accepted that a 6X scope would work fine for any medium to big game west of the Mississippi rive, while 4X was the choice for anything east of the Mississippi.

The the 3-9 variable came along and people started thinking it would work for both, while offering more flexibility with more magnification at 9x for long range or for varmints and more field of view at 3x for shorter range applications like hog hunting.

There was some cost in terms of loss of optical quality and light through-put at a given price point (there still is), and some concerns about the point of impact changing with the magnification (still an issue with cheap variables, but not an issue with good quality variables now).

The problems started when people started thinking that if a 3-9x was good a 4-12x or 4-16x must be better. Larger magnification requires larger objective lenses to get enough light for cloudy days and other low light conditions, and the cost of a larger objective lens of the same quality rises exponentially not linearly, so lens quality generally fell. At the same time, more magnification means more parallax error and above 9x it starts to become a significant issue, so now you have to spring for an adjustable objective, which further pushes up cost - or further pushes down quality in a given price range.

So now we've got a lot of shooter with overly large, overly magnified, but low quality optics who've come to believe the more magnification is a substitute for quality, razor sharp optics and ample light gathering ability.

----

I don't know what 6x Leopold you have (M8 6x42, FX-II 6x33 or FX-3 6x42), but I'm leaning toward the FX-3 6x42 given your reference to a heavy duplex reticle. If so, you've got a quality scope with 55 MOA range of adjustment and great light gathering power in a small package that weighs less than a pound.

The same pretty much applies to the older M8 6x42 scope as well.

The only potential shortcoming is a limited filed of view of about 18' at 100 yards. If you're hunting hogs in brush where the ranges are short and the targets are moving, then 4x is the most magnification you want.

The current VX-2 series scopes are one of the best bangs for the buck available as they have the former VX-III optics along with very nice, very repeatable 1/4 MOA finger adjustable turrets. You can find them in 1-4X28mm, 1.5-4x28mm, and 2-7x33mm flavors. For a .30-06 that you'l also shoot at longer east coast distances, I'd recommend the VX-2 2-7x33 as a nearly ideal compromise. You should be able to find one for about $300.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:09 PM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am in PNW, for me that 6X would work pretty good. I dislike the fat duplex reticle however.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:34 PM
Kestrel4k

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer22 View Post
[...] would I be OK with the 6x or should I sell the scope and find something more suitable?

I currently live in Florida but will be moving to the PNW within the next 5 years.
Hello Brian,
I have been hunting in Oregon for a while now, and all my hunting rifles either have 2x fixed or 2-7x variables (all Leupold).
A few years back my wife got her first mule deer here with a 2x fixed; range was ~40 yds.

On the 'dry side' of the state, the shots could be longer which is why I like the 2-7x variables.

Your new Lp has the most value while it is unmounted; I would eB that scope just as it is, and get a 2-7x or 3-9x for that '06 - would be dandy for just about any situation IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model 52 View Post
[...] The current VX-2 series scopes are one of the best bangs for the buck available as they have the former VX-III optics along with very nice, very repeatable 1/4 MOA finger adjustable turrets. You can find them in 1-4X28mm, 1.5-4x28mm, and 2-7x33mm flavors. For a .30-06 that you'l also shoot at longer east coast distances, I'd recommend the VX-2 2-7x33 as a nearly ideal compromise. You should be able to find one for about $300.
I very much agreed with virtually all of the above post, but still took an excerpt to give a '+1' to that VX-2 cited.
I had tried a few VX-1's previously but wasn't happy with their (entry-level) click adjustments, so have gravitated to that VX-2 2-7x33 as pretty much the perfect hunting scope.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 03-03-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 PM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Y'all are the best, THANK YOU!

I think because it was a gift, I'll leave it alone and in the box. If I work some OT I can swing the lower powered Leupold.

I'll put up some pictures of my rig soon.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:36 AM
Rat458
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Best wait till you move out here.
We have two different sides to the state as far as hunting is concerned.
East side is mostly short range thick brush or dark timber style hunting.
West side is more open and longer shots.
I have 2 30/06's that i use and the VX3 1.75 X 6 sitting on a BAR is the most useful.
The 2 x 7 is also a good choice.
My short barreled bolt gun has a 2.5 on it for timber use.
I would keep the scope you have and set up your rifle for quick release style mounts.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Jammer22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat458 View Post
I would keep the scope you have and set up your rifle for quick release style mounts.
Mind Reader! I given a pair of Burris QD rings last year, I think they are going to be the ticket!

I was walking through some woods outside of Eugene last year in early spring. Wow! Talk about a culture shock! That Timber was THICK!