Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:50 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
threading affect on accuracy??

Has anyone here compared the accuracy of their barrel before and after threading? Looking for real world results
Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 PM
supersharp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had my M&P 15-22 threaded it was also recrowned so I have not noticed any dropping accuracy .This of course is not the most accurate rifle so the best answer I could give you is I would think it would depend on who does the threading and will they recrown the barrel properly!
Old 02-20-2017, 11:49 AM
Maine04657

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 660grizzlyguy View Post
Has anyone here compared the accuracy of their barrel before and after threading? Looking for real world results
If the threading is done correctly and you have the barrel re-crowned while ti is in the chuck you will likely see a gain in accuracy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2017, 05:59 PM
Jeremy B
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just buy threaded barrels or firearms that have threaded barrels. Just having a barrel threaded shouldn't affect accuracy but putting a silencer on the threaded barrel will be a change as the weight will affect barrel harmonics and if the threads are not concentric to the bore you may have a baffle/end cap strike and could see groups open up dramatically
Old 02-20-2017, 06:19 PM
KKG515
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've had the barrels threaded and re-crowned on a Ruger Model 77/22, a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 and a Smith & Wesson Model 41 with a 7-3/8" barrel. All of these guns shown better than good accuracy that was one of the reasons they were chosen. None of them has shown a marked decrease in accuracy and all have proven to be excellent with the Sparrow Suppressor installed.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:15 PM
Specter23

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
My centerfire rifles have shown no change in accuracy after threading. My one rimfire stayed the same or was a little better after being threaded and recrowed. One thing to keep in mind is that many rimfire barrels "choke" or have a tighter bore at the muzzle. If you cut too much off and get rid of that choke then you will most likely loose accuracy.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:55 PM
JDouglas

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I had my Rock River Predator Pursuit model threaded. It is superbly accurate and threading had no affect. I also have a CZ 452 that was cut to 16 1/2" and threaded. Before threading it averaged about .4" for five shot groups at 50 yards. After it now shoots in the .3" and with a can it is even better. I had my 10/22 GM barrel threaded and it had no affect on accuracy.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:52 PM
catbird

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
The threading itself should not affect accuracy, theoretically. However if it is also recrowned as most 'smiths will do, the new crown could be a better job than the factory crown. In that case, accuracy should improve. As to the suppressor's effect on accuracy versus shooting unsuppressed, I have noticed a small improvement on most of my host guns. In no case has the suppressor hurt accuracy.