Added A Second 10/22 to the Collection Today - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Fulhlr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Fine looking rifle. Bet the squirrels won't be safe in your AO.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:30 PM
FairWinds
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulhlr View Post
Fine looking rifle. Bet the squirrels won't be safe in your AO.
Thank-you. Fortunately for the squirrels, our season ended here 2/28 so they have till next fall to develop their survival plans!

I've got plenty of paper targets and self-sealing spinners to practice on till then.

For grins today, I swapped out the trigger group with my other 10/22. That trigger has had the KIDD trigger upgrade kit , automatic bolt release and mag release extension installed as I get ready to sign up for an Appleseed this year.

Groups tightened up noticeably with the upgraded trigger. The bad news is my lack of experience and technique with a rest and rear bag was much more apparent to me.

I also shot a variety of 36gr , 38gr and 40gr ammo today just to see what shot best. I don't have any match grade ammo to try but will pick up a few boxes and do so.

Today's winners were the 36 gr CCI Mini-Mags followed by the 36 gr Rem. Golden Bullets (bulk). I had some Winchester 38gr ammo but it was all over the place. I also shot some CCI Select 40gr and Federal Champion 40gr (Bulk) but they didn't shoot anywhere as well as the 36 gr ammo.

I'm really enjoying the rifle and looking forward to more practice time with it this spring. I plan to upgrade the trigger and ad a few more goodies like the bolt release and charging handle then call it good for now.

Shoot well.

John

Last edited by FairWinds; 03-09-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:43 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairWinds View Post
gmd1950,

I spoke with a fellow customer at the counter when I first looked at the rifle, he looked a lot like the photo on your profile page!

Have a safe day.

John

I believe you are correct, Mace has CCI-SV, and a selection of RWS ammo in stock, might want to pick up a selection, enjoy.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:00 PM
FairWinds

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks , I'll stop by Mace's tomorrow and pick up some to try out.

Hopefully the rains won't be too troublesome and I can do a bit of shooting.

John
Old 03-10-2015, 12:51 AM
Outrider
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to the friendly land of 10/22itis, lol. That one is a beaut. As the disease gets worse, you will find that you always have at least one NIB basic carbine stashed away (bought on sale for less than $200) to use as the basis for your next project build....
Old 03-10-2015, 03:32 PM
FairWinds

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the welcome Outrider. If 10/22itis is anywhere as potent as Marlinitis or the HenryFlu, I'm gonna be in trouble.

I took gmd1950's advice today and picked up a couple of boxes of the RWS Rifle Target ammo and a brick of the CCI Std. Velocity ammo. In between light rain showers this morning I was able shoot a bit of both as well as a few others.

I started with a clean barrel today . Distance was 25 yards, wind mostly calm with a few gusts every now and then. I did not make any adjustments to the scope today. Just shooting to see how the different ammo grouped.

Started with CCI Std. Velocity. Then CCI Green Tag then some RWS Target Rifle, then CCI Mini-Mags and lastly CCI Std Velocity .

The RWS grouped nicely but it is pricey stuff.

The CCI Std Velocity did nicely also. Thanks for the tip gmd1950.

I added more lead shot to my rear bag to firm it up and that helped a bit. I found some helpful tips over in the Super Stock threads as well about how these sporters like to be held and rested.

Now, if I can can tune up the old guy working the trigger, I think the rifle will be a pretty good plinker/squirrel rifle.

Thanks to all who contribute their experience.

Well the rains started up again so I packed up and came inside.

John
Old 03-10-2015, 04:16 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Glad to be of assistance.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:28 PM
FairWinds

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best wishes for your procedure later this week gmd1950. Looking forward to seeing you back posting and shooting ASAP.

Regards, John
Old 03-10-2015, 05:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
97% (59)
Nice wood!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:44 PM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairWinds View Post
Best wishes for your procedure later this week gmd1950. Looking forward to seeing you back posting and shooting ASAP.

Regards, John

Thanks...
Old 03-14-2015, 09:29 PM
jimd441

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
FairWinds,

Very fine looking rifle, thanks for sharing. I too am in central N.C., but maybe a bit West (Kernersville). I have been to Mace several times and honestly, I wish it was closer to me so I could frequent it more often.

Jim
Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 PM
FairWinds

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Jim. I'm close to Hillsborough and about 5 minutes from Mace so it's almost too easy to go by.

They have a number of 10/22s in stock at the moment including two with the Mannlicher stocks. One in French Walnut and the second in American Walnut.

I appreciate the compliments on the rifle.

John
Old 03-15-2015, 07:44 AM
gmd1950

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I live literally in Mebane, just west of Tanger's which means I'm on a first name basis with the whole crew, and a good crew they are when they get to know you. I'm at home and recovering, may be a week or so before the wife lets me venture out but the Doc says .22 shooting won't be out of reason after about 4 weeks, I'm putting together a stainless synthetic sleeper to play with as it will be a good bit lighter than most of my others.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:50 AM
FairWinds

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome back gmd1950! I saw on your blog that your tuneup went well. Congratulations. Take care and give yourself the recovery time you need.

From what I've read here on the forum, your new sleeper will one to be reckoned with. Four weeks will go by pretty quickly.

I've upgraded numerous components (trigger group, charging handle assembly, bolt release , bolt buffer, etc) in this rifle and started to check out the threads and tips over in the SuperStock sub-forum.

So far it is a sweet shooting rifle.

John
Old 03-15-2015, 09:07 PM
jimd441

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Went to your blog Gerald and read of your situation. Wishing you a speedy recovery. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Jim